Fun stuff in Utah valley?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Fun stuff in Utah valley?

Post by _Mephitus »

This year will mark me being in utah for 4 years. And i must admit, im still having great difficulty finding things to have fun with. I don't like bowling, the nickle'cade in orem is a joke, the local bands suck (that's what you get when you grew up 10 mins from where Nirvana began), im not too much of a drinker(and the bars arent very good either), i don't ski, and the nearest hearth (Asatru "ward") is a state away.

Any ideas?
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_keene
_Emeritus

Re: Fun stuff in Utah valley?

Post by _keene »

Sono_hito wrote:This year will mark me being in utah for 4 years. And i must admit, im still having great difficulty finding things to have fun with. I don't like bowling, the nickle'cade in orem is a joke, the local bands suck (that's what you get when you grew up 10 mins from where Nirvana began), im not too much of a drinker(and the bars arent very good either), i don't ski, and the nearest hearth (Asatru "ward") is a state away.

Any ideas?

Umm.... Masturbate?

I suppose this is exactly the reason why Utah Valley is the highest prozac-prescribed county in the US. You can't even get any decent drugs to end the boredom!

At least we always have nyquil.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Naw, you can only do that so many times per day untill the flesh gets raw. haha
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Start rock-climbing. Everything is there and enjoy the canyons and the south red rocks. My God, what I would do to have so many opportunities surrounding me. If you don't climb, start.

Just my .02. I lived there in SLC for 20+ years. But, if I thought I could get the right kind of job, I'd be back in a flash, just for the climbing.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

We could play Magic: the Gathering if you wanted. . .
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

You made me laugh

Things to do in Utah valley..

Well now there is not much...you could go ride the Heber Creeper..go to the Hogle Zoo..the Planeteruim..

Yes and the bars do suck.....

You could also drive to Wendover and Gamble or you could go to ??????

Gramps is right
Utah has great canyons..and you will meet some very nice people there as well...

I know how boring things can be in Utah
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Negative
_Emeritus

Post by _Negative »

I live in Utah County and my solution is to drive up to SLC and hit the more entertaining bars. Liquid Joes has the Spazmatics on Fridays and Metal Gods on Thursdays (If I remember correctly). You can hit the Tavernacle for some awesome entertainment Thur-Sat (dueling pianos playing requests. It can get pretty crazy). Trails, Trails 2, and Southern Exposure are great strip clubs. Even if you're not that into watching strippers Trails is a great place for playing pool, hanging out, or watching a game. The ‘background’ just makes it even better.

All of those things were pretty good but the secret to having a good social life in Utah is to find some good friends and have house-parties/get-togethers. That's 90% of my weekend entertainment these days.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

There are hundreds of miles of trails in Rock Canyon, Provo Canyon and along the Bonneville Shoreline trail. Provo Canyon's river trail starts at Utah Lake and is fifteen miles of paved walking, running and biking all the way up to Vivian Lake. Sundance has trails, you can drive a short distance to American Fork Canyon and hike, camp, etc. in some of the most beautiful country in the world.

This doesn't even take into account all the wonderful canyons

I am a transplant and am not particularly fond of Utah in general, but we find a lot of very fun things to keep us busy.

(And the bar scene can be alot of fun up in SLC. Greenstreet has a lot going on.)
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Dr. Shades wrote:We could play Magic: the Gathering if you wanted. . .

Yay!!!!!!!!!!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

gramps wrote:Start rock-climbing. Everything is there and enjoy the canyons and the south red rocks. My God, what I would do to have so many opportunities surrounding me. If you don't climb, start.

Just my .02. I lived there in SLC for 20+ years. But, if I thought I could get the right kind of job, I'd be back in a flash, just for the climbing.

That would be an option....if i wasent acrophobic.....i get vertigo really bad