The Sports Shoutout Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Baseball: SF Giants, Detroit Tigers, whoever is playing the Hated Dodgers
Football: I want to love the Niners again, I really do! Is this the year?
Basketball: Not so much.
in real life: Danica Patrick. I want to be her when I grow up.

silent kid: Sounds like you're on the opposite side of the Bay, brotha. :o)
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

skippy the dead wrote:Baseball: SF Giants, Detroit Tigers, whoever is playing the Hated Dodgers

Okay this is off topic but I got a real shock the other day when I found out skippy the dead had a husband. I thought skippy was a dude for some reason. I don't know why but I was convinced. Maybe it was the avatar or the name....but I was sure a man was on the other end of the line. I'm slowly admitting the truth of this revelation to myself. I can usually pick up these things, so it was quite a shock. Anyway....end of digression. (Did anyone get weirded out by that paragraph...if you did you're not alone....I'm just usually good at figuring these things out and it's quite a shock when I'm wrong....so I think everyone should go to less ambigious names.....I'm looking in your direction Jersey Girl) ;0)

PS: No the Niners aren't doing it this year. And I hate the Damn Dodgers, but not as much as I hate the Damn Mets, the Damn Red Sox, and the Damn Yankees (the baseball team, not the music group).
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:
skippy the dead wrote:Baseball: SF Giants, Detroit Tigers, whoever is playing the Hated Dodgers

Okay this is off topic but I got a real shock the other day when I found out skippy the dead had a husband. I thought skippy was a dude for some reason. I don't know why but I was convinced. Maybe it was the avatar or the name....but I was sure a man was on the other end of the line. I'm slowly admitting the truth of this revelation to myself. I can usually pick up these things, so it was quite a shock. Anyway....end of digression. (Did anyone get weirded out by that paragraph...if you did you're not alone....I'm just usually good at figuring these things out and it's quite a shock when I'm wrong....so I think everyone should go to less ambigious names.....I'm looking in your direction Jersey Girl) ;0)

I'll admit, I purposely choose gender-ambiguous names when I post on forums. I find that it eliminates some degree of gender bias. Yup, I'm a chick. Although I'm a chick who probably thinks more like a guy than a chick. And prefers to hang out with guys. Sort of like "a man's woman" (to quote Seinfeld).

Or, maybe I'm just a dude with a husband. You decide. ;o)

Bond...James Bond wrote:PS: No the Niners aren't doing it this year. And I hate the Damn Dodgers, but not as much as I hate the Damn Mets, the Damn Red Sox, and the Damn Yankees (the baseball team, not the music group).

I'm afraid you're right about the Niners. But at least this year there's a whiff of promise around them. And if the rest of the division is as crappy as it was last year, maybe there's hope.

I also hate the Yankees. There's a smug sense of entitlement there that just seems unsportsmanlike. The Red Sox are close behind in that regard. Rooting for the Tigers is a remnant of my youth - my Daddy is from Detroit, and instilled a love of Detroit teams in me, which is why it kills me to see what Matt Millen has done to the Lions.[/quote]
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

skippy the dead wrote:
I'll admit, I purposely choose gender-ambiguous names when I post on forums. I find that it eliminates some degree of gender bias. Yup, I'm a chick. Although I'm a chick who probably thinks more like a guy than a chick. And prefers to hang out with guys. Sort of like "a man's woman" (to quote Seinfeld).

I'm going with dude with a husband...it part of my Cognitive Dissonance :)

Seriously I'd hang out with ya for sure....although I'm not cheering for that 'roid freak Bonds (and as long as you promise to not kick my ass in tackle football games...bad for the rep ;0)

I also hate the Yankees. There's a smug sense of entitlement there that just seems unsportsmanlike. The Red Sox are close behind in that regard. Rooting for the Tigers is a remnant of my youth - my Daddy is from Detroit, and instilled a love of Detroit teams in me, which is why it kills me to see what Matt Millen has done to the Lions.

Yeah....it all went downhill after Barry Sanders retired....now you have too many wide recievers and not enough anything else. At least you got the Red Wings though.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:
skippy the dead wrote:

I'm going with dude with a husband...it part of my Cognitive Dissonance :)

LOL

Bond...James Bond wrote:Seriously I'd hang out with ya for sure....although I'm not cheering for that 'roid freak Bonds (and as long as you promise to not kick my ass in tackle football games...bad for the rep ;0)

Back atcha, Jimmy.

I'll admit, I still love Barry. Got my Barry Bonds Bobblehead Home Run Counter on my mantle (it's at 746!). Besides - it was just flaxseed oil, wasn't it? (that's my CogDis)

Bond...James Bond wrote:
I also hate the Yankees. There's a smug sense of entitlement there that just seems unsportsmanlike. The Red Sox are close behind in that regard. Rooting for the Tigers is a remnant of my youth - my Daddy is from Detroit, and instilled a love of Detroit teams in me, which is why it kills me to see what Matt Millen has done to the Lions.

Yeah....it all went downhill after Barry Sanders retired....now you have too many wide recievers and not enough anything else. At least you got the Red Wings though.

Oh yeah - I gotta add:

NHL: Sharks, baby!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

skippy the dead wrote:
I'll admit, I still love Barry. Got my Barry Bonds Bobblehead Home Run Counter on my mantle (it's at 746!). Besides - it was just flaxseed oil, wasn't it? (that's my CogDis)

The flaxseed oil was the appetizer....he neglected to mention that HGH he was taking along with it ;)

Oh yeah - I gotta add:

NHL: Sharks, baby!

I gave up on Hockey for a while after that year long strike....I threw myself fully into soccer at that point. Now I can't get outta the soccer mindset (I used to root for the Red Wings big time though).
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Bond...James Bond wrote:
skippy the dead wrote:

The flaxseed oil was the appetizer....he neglected to mention that HGH he was taking along with it ;)

I'm thinking there's still a number of players taking HGH, since it's not tested for. There are too many dollars at stake, and let's face it - we all like to see the long ball. It's interesting that players are getting caught taking greenies, even though they know they'll be tested for it. It's a grinding season, yo.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I actually grew up in Stockton, but had family spread all over the bay area. It was either the Giants or the A's and I ended up going to A's games as kid. I absolutely love the bay area and would live there in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: The Sports Shoutout Thread

Post by _Who Knows »

Basketball: Da bulls.
Baseball: White sox
Soccer: When i lived in england, my team was the West Bromwich Albions
Football: Philadelphia eagles
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

I guess I'm an oddball as I can't stand Baseball (BORING!), I think american football is both boring and weak, and Basketball is dull, and NASCAR is just plain lame.

But I do love my Hockey. Detriot, baby! The Redwings, along with Motown, are one of the few Good Things(TM) to come from Detriot. Hockey takes skill, unlike Baseball, American Football, or Baseketball. Any jackass can toss a ball around or run with a ball. But it takes a little skill to iceskate while handling a puck, dodging the other team's players, keeping aware of your teammates locations so you can pass if you have to, and trying to get that puck into that little gap between the edge of the goal and the goalie.

I'm also an avid marksman. I regularly shoot IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association), and IPSC (Intenational Practical Shooters Confederation) matches, and I've been known to take roadtrips to places like Camp Perry to watch the National Rifle & Pistol Championships (It's the world series of competitive shooting). Anyone can throw a ball. Not everyone can hit the ten ring at 1000 yards.

I love racing. Not that lameass NASCAR crap though. Seriosuly, any jackass can drive in a lefthand circle all day. If you can make a left turn and can drive a car for two to six hours at a crack, you can drive NASCAR. No, I'm talking about real racing where they have RIGHT HAND TURNS, they have hills, dips, harpins, and the audience is still in danger from flying debrie from wrecks. Stuff like GP/GT events, formula one racing, sport/superbike racing.

Oh, and NHRA drag-racing. Yeah, you think "Gee, that's just driving in a straight line, right?" WRONG. When you're sitting just infront of an egine that uses nitromethane for fuel and produces more thrust than all four engines aboard a Boeing 747-400 at take-off, it's not as easy as "driving in a straight line". Engines that can propel a car from a standing stop to over 300mph in less than 6 seconds in just a 1/4mile of track. If you were to take a five mile long straight track, let a NASCAR driver get his car up to full speed, and in the last 1/4 of a mile sit an NHRA topfuel dragster down and only let it start when the NASCAR passes it, the NHRA dragster will catch up to and then pass the NASCAR before the end of the track.

Oh, and I also play golf... Hate watching golf, but I love to play it though.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....