Brushes with Fame

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Brushes with Fame

Post by _Runtu »

In the spirit of Blixa's Chloe Sevigny story, here are a few of my "exciting" minglings with the famous.

I almost ran over Robert Conrad (the guy from Wild Wild West) in a grocery store parking lot in Malibu (he was carrying a bag of charcoal out of the store).

I went to high school with the kids of child-actor-turned-murderer Robert Blake.

I had lunch with Terry Eagleton at the BYU Skyroom.

Don Rickles made Mormon jokes at my expense when I was working as a busboy (he gave me a hug afterward).
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I like the Rickles one.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Blixa wrote:I like the Rickles one.

I left out the part when Robert Conrad gave me the finger.

Believe me, there's nothing worse than walking out of the kitchen and having Don Rickles say, loudly, "This guy is the Mormon?" But he was a nice man and very funny.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

You now, in my almost 40 years of life, I've never once met anyone significantly famous. I've met a professional hockey player and shot pool once with a wide receiver from the Calgary Stampeders (kicked his ass), but they were hardly famous. I performed comedy at the Comedy Store in LA, same stage as many famous comedians (in fact, I was told that everyone who's anyone at least at one time performs there: Robin Williams, Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, Eddie Murphy, etc etc), but I certainly never met anyone famous there.

I'm starting to believe that famous people don't really exist in real life.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Well living in NYC it hard not to step on a celeb of some kind. I'm trying to think of someone mormon-related so this thread won't get shoved down in the Old Testament basement...hmmmm....

Best I can do is that my parents went to the wedding reception for Marie Osmond's first wedding circa late 70's. I wanted to go for laughs and that's exactly why they wouldn't take me. All I heard about it was that they had Tongan bouncers.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Behind this moniker lurks a "B list" celeb.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

I met, and got Superman's autograph (Christopher Reeve). His son was playing in the same soccer little league i was in. This was back when i was a kid. I still have that autograph to this day.

I've met a number of the late 80's dallas cowboys players, and got their autographs.

Just last year, I bumped into 'Pink' in chicago - with her moto-x boyfriend.

Mormon related - hmm, I've met steve young. and i see thurl bailey sometimes, and chad lewis rarely, in the gym where i workout.

And I'm friends with someone who's relatively famous (I'm certain everyone on the board would know who he is). Still hang out with him - whenever I make it to L.A. But I'd rather not say who it is - sorry.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I just remembered that I once met and shook Tony Robbins' hand. Not that big a deal, but he seemed like a nice guy.

It also occurs to me that I met several no-name comedians back in the day that were only locally famous, so I suppose that's why I never thought of them when considering the subject of this thread.

So... who's the mysterious Doctor Steuss, I wonder...?

EDIT: LOL... I just remebered meeting and shaking Randy Bachman's hand as well. It was after some fireside in Victoria many many years ago.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

My list: I got flipped off and yelled at by Gary Coleman at the DMV for jumping up and down yelling, "Oh my god! Oh my god! A freakin' midget! I so want one!"

I've had Orson Scott Card call me a bastard and demand that security haul me away. (I've also spent several Sundays sitting in a boring as hell priesthood meeting with him).

Ooh! I've read the Dragonlance novels that were co-written by a Mormon whose name I don't remember.

The first two are true. The third is a lie. I couldn't read any of the Dragonlance novels.
_cacheman
_Emeritus

Post by _cacheman »

My wife and I had third row seats for a Dylan show. During the show, my wife was grooving to the music, and Dylan got a big grin on his face and pointed at her. She didn't see it, because her eyes were closed.

I've talked with Richie Havens after one of his shows, and emailed back and forth for a while. He's a very nice person.

Oh... and I'm also in Charles Barkley's fave five.

cacheman