The War on Terror

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

The War on Terror

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

So I've recently been reading the book "Bush at War" which is about what the Administration did after 9/11 in Afghanistan, and I've been thinking about where this War on Terror is going. Personally I don't think we can win this type of war, and its just going to be a big mistake that lasts for decades. What says the panel?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: The War on Terror

Post by _Mercury »

Bond...James Bond wrote:So I've recently been reading the book "Bush at War" which is about what the Administration did after 9/11 in Afghanistan, and I've been thinking about where this War on Terror is going. Personally I don't think we can win this type of war, and its just going to be a big mistake that lasts for decades. What says the panel?

that's the plan. Keep teh populace in a perpetual war.

The war on Terror/Oceanea continues forever.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

It's a beautiful setup in that the war can be perpetual. There is no point where you can say you won. Even the Cold War had an ending (end of the threat or thermonuclear destruction). I don't think it was intentional but since it's fallen into people's laps they're likely to use it.....for a quite a while. I just think terrorism is here to stay.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Mercury wrote:that's the plan. Keep teh populace in a perpetual war.

But what's the point? Is it just about fueling the military industrial complex in America or does Bush (or his handlers) actually think they're doing some type of Holy War?

---Also an interesting point from the book I'm continuing to read (Bush at War)----During the Afghistan planning they were already talking about going after Iraq.....it's quite interesting to read and realize that they didn't have jack on Saddam (in the ties to Al-Qaeda anyway) but were already planning to go after him.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

The Nehor wrote:It's a beautiful setup in that the war can be perpetual. There is no point where you can say you won. Even the Cold War had an ending (end of the threat or thermonuclear destruction). I don't think it was intentional but since it's fallen into people's laps they're likely to use it.....for a quite a while. I just think terrorism is here to stay.

It's kind of like the War On Drugs.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Bond...James Bond wrote:

But what's the point? Is it just about fueling the military industrial complex in America or does Bush (or his handlers) actually think they're doing some type of Holy War?

---Also an interesting point from the book I'm continuing to read (Bush at War)----During the Afghistan planning they were already talking about going after Iraq.....it's quite interesting to read and realize that they didn't have jack on Saddam (in the ties to Al-Qaeda anyway) but were already planning to go after him.

Its a bogeyman that is a valid threat but then again so is drunk driving. If you can convince someone that a nonexistant problem will affect someones life you then have leverage. In this case its money and power shifting hands in order to mold institutions and federal/state/local budgets to the will of those in power.

Listen to the new Nine inch nails album Year zero along with all the material that goes along with it. i say this more as an aside than a main point to my post.

And where have we seen responses to fake bogeymen emphasized as a system of control before? yep, that's right...the LDS church. If Mitt Romney gets the nomination then were going to see the fake fear step up even more.
Lost in time
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Bond...James Bond wrote:

I think they believe they are doing the right thing. I also think they are wrong. I don't think Bush believes it is a Holy War so much as a justified war probably the same way I justified the pranks I played in High School. Turn a regional tyrant into another Hitler because his offenses seem a lot more personal.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

All these terrorists kind of make the stories of the Gadianton robbers a little more personal. You don't know exactly who the enemy is, or where they are. The Book of Mormon was said to be written for our day, seems to be coming to a fulfillment.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:All these terrorists kind of make the stories of the Gadianton robbers a little more personal. You don't know exactly who the enemy is, or where they are. The Book of Mormon was said to be written for our day, seems to be coming to a fulfillment.

Yup, secret combinations. Now theres something that has nothing to do with secret ceremonies and oaths, oh wait...the temple ceremony, shoot.

Joseph Smith was a gadianton robber if there ever was one.
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

silentkid wrote:
The Nehor wrote:It's a beautiful setup in that the war can be perpetual. There is no point where you can say you won. Even the Cold War had an ending (end of the threat or thermonuclear destruction). I don't think it was intentional but since it's fallen into people's laps they're likely to use it.....for a quite a while. I just think terrorism is here to stay.

It's kind of like the War On Drugs.

Its EXACTLY like the war on drugs.
Lost in time