Pay Your Respects To A Fallen Warrior

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Pay Your Respects To A Fallen Warrior

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/LOCAL/707100420/1196

Bill Butler, a former U.S. Army Ranger and decorated combat veteran, died Monday, less than two months before the dedication of a national combat soldier training center in his honor.
Butler, 77, fought in the Korean War and the Vietnam War, and he was a trainer for operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. He earned two Silver Stars and two Purple Hearts among many decorations.
He had hoped to attend the Aug. 29 dedication of Camp Butler, the National Guard Warrior Training Center on 40 acres at Fort Benning, Ga.
Command Sgt. Maj. Thomas Siter of the Warrior Training Center said by telephone Monday that Butler was deserving of the honor.
"His selfless service and sacrifice was outstanding," Siter said. "He was just a great warrior. We are truly honored that this camp will be named for him."
Butler had 33 years of military service. He was 17 when he graduated from airborne training at Fort Benning.
In the Korean War, he was a member of the 5th Ranger Company, 25th Division, 27th Regiment that was stationed near the perilous 38th parallel. Before being wounded, Butler helped a Korean boy get adopted by a family in the United States.
In Vietnam, his six-man team was ambushed by a company-size unit -- more than 60 men. During fierce fighting, the Rangers killed or wounded 34 enemy soldiers. Butler was wounded and earned his second Purple Heart.
When Butler returned in 1969 from Vietnam, he was recognized as Indiana's "Most Decorated Soldier."
He took his final parachute jump at age 59 over Camp Atterbury near Indianapolis.
When he retired, Butler was inducted into the Indiana Hall of Heroes, and was recognized by then-Gov. Evan Bayh as a Sagamore of the Wabash.
In 2000, Butler was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame at Fort Benning.
In his civilian life, Butler was a farmer, a deputy sheriff in Marion County, a construction company owner and the Pulaski County surveyor.
The resident of Star City, just south of Winamac, suffered a stroke several years ago. He and his wife, Norma, had nine children, 21 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren.
Lt. Col. Martin Reutebuch said Butler will be missed. Reutebuch is the state's Army senior adviser based in Indianapolis. He also grew up in the Winamac area as a friend of Bill Butler Jr., who is stationed at Fort Drum, N.Y.
"I was in the National Guard when I was in school, and (Butler Sr.) was my first sergeant," Reutebach said.
"They broke the mold when they made him."
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Thanks for posting this. Very distinguished career and apparently quite a man.