JAPAN

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Hi Tarski, if you want to go to Tokyo, take a tent and stay in the park next to Harajuku. I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the name of it. I met my current girlfriend in that park. She camped there for 3 weeks. No problems. You can make friends with the homeless who all live there as well, and they will even watch your stuff while you are away. Water facilities close with food and drink machines. What else can you ask for?

That's the cheapest way to go.

Love hotels are cheap. Relatively, especially if you find a woman to pay for you. Assuming you are single, of course. (wink)

I could ask my ex to let you stay. It's about an hour north of Tokyo, in the middle of bum-f**k nowhere, but pm me if that sounds like you would like me to give it a shot. When she is in a good mood, it wouldn't be a problem, but if she is not in a good mood, no chance. It's a roll-the-dice thing.

I will think of some other people who might have room. But, it means tatami mats and cramped sleeping quarters, at best. All alternative, raver, hippie types, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

barrel of monkeys wrote:

I have dear friends that live in Japan. On Hyama Beach. I don't know you.... you may be a crazy. Know anyone that knows anyone?

I'm going back next year with the whole family.

You could always take a tent and camp out. :)

Hey, I have friends down in Hayama, as well. Hippie and wife from New York originally. Great guy. Don't tell me you know them.

Again, follow the camping advice. The parks are sweet and safe and all facilities are there. Just ask the homeless guys where best to set up. I had two British friends set up a couple of hammocks and a lean-to. They stayed there all summer. It can be done and then you have money to eat some of that great sushi and tempura, et. al.

And techno parties every Wednesday and Friday and Saturday and Sunday evenings. Perfect for hooking up with all the foreigners that are there.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

gramps wrote:
barrel of monkeys wrote:

I have dear friends that live in Japan. On Hyama Beach. I don't know you.... you may be a crazy. Know anyone that knows anyone?

Hey, I have friends down in Hayama, as well. Hippie and wife from New York originally. Great guy. Don't tell me you know them.

Can't say I know them. I lived in Japan for a portion of my childhood and grew up on Hyama Beach, where the Tori Gate and Shinto Shrine is. Do you know the spot? I lived on the street that led to the Beach. The festivities and drunken nights were great! I loved it. My friends are mostly Japanese childhood friends that I've kept in contact with through the years. The only American couple I know that lives in Japan are from California.

Take the camping advice. Japan is a very safe country.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
gramps wrote:
barrel of monkeys wrote:

Can't say I know them. I lived in Japan for a portion of my childhood and grew up on Hyama Beach, where the Tori Gate and Shinto Shrine is. Do you know the spot? I lived on the street that led to the Beach. The festivities and drunken nights were great! I loved it. My friends are mostly Japanese childhood friends that I've kept in contact with through the years. The only American couple I know that lives in Japan are from California.

Take the camping advice. Japan is a very safe country.

I know the spot. The British gal that was beheaded by the crazy Japanese guy also happened nearby, if I remember correctly. The parties on the beach are great.
Adrian Beverland
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

gramps wrote:I know the spot. The British gal that was beheaded by the crazy Japanese guy also happened nearby, if I remember correctly. The parties on the beach are great.

I didn't know that happened near by? I hadn't heard that!

The parties on the beach are great! The food is too. When I was a kid we'd eat squid on a stick as if they were lollipops. :)

Gramps do you go back often?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gazelam wrote:Image

Cool sign. While in San Francisco the only guy I gave money to's sign said:

"Who am I kidding? It's for beer."

Props for the honesty.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
gramps wrote:I know the spot. The British gal that was beheaded by the crazy Japanese guy also happened nearby, if I remember correctly. The parties on the beach are great.

I didn't know that happened near by? I hadn't heard that!

The parties on the beach are great! The food is too. When I was a kid we'd eat squid on a stick as if they were lollipops. :)

Gramps do you go back often?

I haven't been back for a couple of years now, but hope to go next year. Finances are a little tight these days. The barbecues on the beach are great. Although I don't like their corn-on-the-cob, but you can't have everything. Oh, also, the beer I think is terrible. I really don't like Japanese beer, although I could stomach a Sapporo once in a while. Thank God I am in Germany where there is no shortage of good beer.
Adrian Beverland
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

You could stay in a Pokeball. Just have someone aim it at you and you shrink down and stay inside. Of coarse later on you have to trust someone to throw the ball and release you.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

gramps wrote:
I haven't been back for a couple of years now, but hope to go next year. Finances are a little tight these days. The barbecues on the beach are great. Although I don't like their corn-on-the-cob, but you can't have everything. Oh, also, the beer I think is terrible. I really don't like Japanese beer, although I could stomach a Sapporo once in a while. Thank God I am in Germany where there is no shortage of good beer.

I love the corn on the cob. My husband thinks it's gross too. It's probably because I grew up eating it.

When we first moved there our neighbor brought us a dish. My mother thought it was disgusting smelling. She covered it up and waited until dark to take it out and dump it. She didn't want to do it during the daylight and possibly offend the lady that had carried it over. She is so sorry now that she did that... we all agree that it was probably something divine!
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
gramps wrote:

I love the corn on the cob. My husband thinks it's gross too. It's probably because I grew up eating it.

When we first moved there our neighbor brought us a dish. My mother thought it was disgusting smelling. She covered it up and waited until dark to take it out and dump it. She didn't want to do it during the daylight and possibly offend the lady that had carried it over. She is so sorry now that she did that... we all agree that it was probably something divine!

Was it natto? Sure sounds like it!
Adrian Beverland