Don't drink the lead!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Don't drink the lead!

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I thought I'd do my bit for public service here. Don't know if this has been on your summer news casts or if you already know it.

Don't drink out of your garden hose...it contains lead. Yup! Ya know all the warnings about lead based paint and don't use decorative items for food because some of them might contain lead?

Well guess what? Lead is used to stablize the material that your garden hose is made of.

That's right folks. We here in America, took the lead out of our paint...but we put it right back in to the thing that hooks up to your water source!

Ain't we a country of geniuses?

Jersey Girl

p.s. They also test high for pesticides! Fun, no?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

sources please
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I almost gave you a link to the local news here but thought better of it...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/get-the-lead-out-of-the-garden-hose-503/overview/index.htm
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=3369894

Just search on "lead garden hose", there's tons of stuff about it. There are labels on some of the hoses that say whether or not lead was used in the manufacturing. On our local news, they showed a white hose that was safe.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Is it common for folks on the east coast to drink out of a garden hose?

I have not seen that out here in California... We drink from beverage containers :P
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Is it common for folks on the east coast to drink out of a garden hose?

When I was a kid back in the 1970s we used to drink from the hose when we were playing out under a hot summer sun. But that was before everyone started going all candy-assed and fru-fru about damned tap water and those stobby, elitist, wannabe eurotrash assholes on the coasts started drinking bottlesd water for the status label on the bottles....

Ya know what... I'm gonna go take a drink from my garden hose right damned now! I mean, it was good enough when I was a kid, right? SHould be good enough now.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Is it common for folks on the east coast to drink out of a garden hose?

When I was a kid back in the 1970s we used to drink from the hose when we were playing out under a hot summer sun. But that was before everyone started going all candy-assed and fru-fru about damned tap water and those stobby, elitist, wannabe eurotrash assholes on the coasts started drinking bottlesd water for the status label on the bottles....

Ya know what... I'm gonna go take a drink from my garden hose right damned now! I mean, it was good enough when I was a kid, right? SHould be good enough now.

I can still taste that ice cold, slightly rubbery water! The ultimate in refreshment!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Blixa wrote:I can still taste that ice cold, slightly rubbery water! The ultimate in refreshment!

Damned skippy! You could just grab a drink and go right back to playing with your friends. The only downside was you had to let the hose run for about ten seconds if it'd been sitting in the sun, otherwise you'd get a mouthful of damned near boiling rubberwater to the face.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Yep. Children drinking out of hoses in the yard is mainly why I posted this. That and the sheer irony of it.

Here's another one:

The import of foods is at an all time high in the US. Guess what? Almost none of it is inspected by the FDA!

Yup! We put the American farmer out of business, import food stuffs from other countries and we don't bother to inspect it!

Now the FDA does have plans to revamp their system in order to be able to inspect food as it comes into port. But, well you guessed it...it's gonna take a WHOLE LOT of money to get that puppy up and running!

Would it be asking too much to take the "whole lot" of money, direct it back into the US agriculture industry where systems are already in place for FDA inspection?

Nah...that'd make waaaaay too much sense!
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:Nah...that'd make waaaaay too much sense!!

Actually, the cost of a tomato from south America is MUCH cheaper than a domestic tomato. Globalization is a reality that has benefits and downsides. The best we can do is adapt. If not then our economy is blown to hell.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning