Share your favorite alcoholic drink

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Share your favorite alcoholic drink

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

With vacations, school, etc behind us, we can now look forward to two weeks of the lazy days of summer.

With that comes barbecuing and drinking some spirits while enjoying the summer evening and friends.

Share your favorite alcoholic drinks here. If it does not contain alcohol keep it to yourself or start your own thread about kiddie drinks.

A drink I enjoy is Long Island Iced Tea, premixed in the bottle from TGIF.. over crunched ice so you get a bit of ice with each sip.

A drink I made up that is Mormon related:

1 can of Starbucks doubleShot

2-3 shots of Starbucks Coffee liquor

Shaken with cubed ice, strained.

I call it the "Section 89"

My wife really enjoys Margaritas with extra tequila and fresh lime juice and heavily salted rim... use the lime to wet the rim before dipping in the salt..

Additionally, I enjoy straight liquor on the rocks.

Hennessy Cognac is smoooooooth and a great sipper..

Captain Morgan's Tattoo(35% alcohol), a more spicy dark rum:

Barcardi 151(75% alcohol) on the rocks is a great sipper and makes your arms feel like they are on fire :)

Beers that I enjoy are the dark ones like my namesake, Black Butte, and Sierra Nevada Porter.
Last edited by Ask Jeeves [Bot] on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

My standard is a Cosmo. Can't go wrong there (especially when made with Cointreau and fresh lime juice). Lemon Drops can also be tasty.

I also like a blue hawaiian, made with malibu rum instead of the standard (I have a drink made thusly named after me at a local pub, which makes my husband proud). On a hot day, I'm also partial to melon balls, MVPs and similar drinks (vodka with various fruit juices and midori and/or rum, essentially).

Shots of tequila are good, but only if it's the good stuff (Silver Patron is the minimum).

On a warm summer night, you can't go wrong with a tawny port and sweet-gum tipped cigar (baccarat is one of my favorites) on the patio (my husband requires only that I wait until the children go to bed so that they don't witness the smoking).

Oh, and most any crisp beer or brown ale is welcome on a hot afternoon. In the evenings, I'm partial to dunkles style beer or other darker beers. To top off a night out with the girls, a half pint of Guinness can hit the spot.

With dinner, I enjoy a rich zinfandel (Ravenswood is good) or cabernet (Solaris is my current favorite, although a Two Buck Chuck is actually good with every-day meals). Chianti is also a favorite. I've got a nice one lined up in the pantry. I've recently read about some sweet meads produced locally, so that's up next on the "to try" list.

Okay, now it sounds like I'm a big drunk. :)
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Scottveg3
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottveg3 »

hmmm My favorite drinks are..

Beer: I enjoy a half guiness half Pear Cyder concoction called Black velvet. It is very similar to a black and tan but a bit sweeter.

Alcohol: probably Crown Royal with a touch of coke. Or Hair of teh dog whish is beer and clamato.

Shot: Probably a fine tequila (patron) or Buttery nipples for fun.

I can't really stand all the sweet stuff like margaritas and things..
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Darn, can't respond here. I did get pulled over once when a cop was me chugging an IBC Root Beer bottle while driving. My favorite is the 11 year-old cough syrup I drank not realizing how far out of date it was. I've been told that that stuff just keeps fermenting. I did focus on staying between the lines on the way home. I keep wanting to tell that story in a Word of Wisdom talk....but the Bishop might think it odd.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

The Nehor wrote:Darn, can't respond here. I did get pulled over once when a cop was me chugging an IBC Root Beer bottle while driving. My favorite is the 11 year-old cough syrup I drank not realizing how far out of date it was. I've been told that that stuff just keeps fermenting. I did focus on staying between the lines on the way home. I keep wanting to tell that story in a Word of Wisdom talk....but the Bishop might think it odd.
Goddamnit. This is a thread for adults.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Kind of wussy, but in the summer I love Shandy.

I've not found any beer that would thoroughly replace my beloved Harp Lager. About 10 years ago, now, Guiness licensed a Canadian firm to make Harp, so all the bottles we get in N. America taste like Becks. Unless I can find a bar which has it on tap, I have to avoid it, now.

I can stand Anchor Steam and Stella for everyday beer and Belgian kreiks for something a bit special-er.

A mixed summer drink would have to be a Margarita.

I'm not a big fan of mixed drinks these days. I love vodka Martinis now and then, but usually as a prelude to dinner, not just to drink. I used to love a strange drink a friend introduced me too: equal parts vodka, Cynar and soda. We never settled on a name for it, calling it a Firefly and a PlasterCaster alternately.

From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

I haven't had too much experience - had my first glass of wine a few months ago, and have only drank maybe 4 times since then. (although as a teen in high school i was an excellent beer bonger).

So this is what I've had:

Wines - ehh, some are good, some aren't so good. I have enjoyed sipping on one though with a good dinner.
Martini, bloody mary, white russian, vodka tonic, vodka red bull, and some other regular mixed drinks (pina colada, margarita, etc.) - fav. was the white russian (i loved iced coffees).
Beers - only had a few, and they're pretty decent, especially on a hot day. Couldn't begin to tell you what kind i prefer.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

First, before I share my favorite ways to kill off braincells...

PORTER, GET A damned PHOTOBUCKET OR IMAGESHACK ACCOUNT AND STOP STEALING BANDWITH BY HOTLINKING PHOTOS FROM OTHER PEOPLES WEBSITES!

I swear to christ I hate people that do that. Get your own photohosting account. Photobucket and Imageshack are free, so you don't have any excuse for theiving bandwidth from someone elses site. You're lucky those site's webmasters haven't replaced the images with a picture of the goatse guy just to screw you for stealing their company's resources.

Ok, back to booze...

Three Mile Island Iced Tea. Same thing as a Long Island Iced Tea, but after you're finished mixing it, you drop a cellume glow stick in the glass, pour 1.5oz of Everclear on top and ignite it. Let it burn for a couple of seconds, blow it out, and drink it through a straw from the bottom to the top.

Mind Eraser (a.k.a. Liquid Panty Remover). This is a fun drink that if you can pour it right will give you a three layer drink that's just plain fun and the chicks dig it. Take a highball glass and pour in 1.5oz of Irish Cream, then very carefully pour 1.5oz of Creme de Menth so that it rests on top of the Irish Cream, then carefully pour 1.5oz of vodka so that the vodka float on top of the Creme De Menth. Insert a straw and work your way from the bottom most layer to the top as fast as you can.

Tequila Shooter. Most people do not know how to do a shoot the right way, so I'll tell you the proper military proceadure for getting hammered like a big dog. First, you don't pour the salt into your hand. Morons and fratboys do that. You take the rim of the shotglass and dip it into the salt so that you get a nice crust of salt around the rim (think Margarita). This way you get the salt instantly before you slam the shot. Then you take a good bite out of the lime, not some pansy sucking motion. Eat the damned thing.

You'll scare the hell out of most Mexicans if you can do that about 14 times or more.

Maybe later I'll tell you how to make a perfect Old Fashioned or Manhatten....

Or maybe it'll be Martini Time...
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Alcohol isn't my drug of choice. When I do drink it it's in the form of a margarita or an iced coffee. Of course I haven't had a drink in 10+ years so um.. I guess I don't drink.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I've posted some of my favorites before, but here goes:

Beer: I like pale ales and IPA's, but I'm pretty open to anything. My favorite beers are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam (when I can find it), Fat Tire, Newcastle, and Bass.

Wine: I don't like wine.

Shots: I prefer whiskey shots and vodka shots.

Mixed Drinks: I've got a thing for 7&7's. I love Crown and Coke and SoCo and Coke. White Russians are great. I tend to avoid the fruity drinks, unless I'm in a place that calls for it (like Margaritas at a nice Mexican restaurant).

PS: Porter...I can't believe you drink 151 straight up. I had a shot of that stuff a few years ago and it burned. Grows hair on your back.