Sailgirl posts from KA's "Liars" thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

sailgirl7 wrote:When I tried to find scholarship opportunities- I couldn't find any that really applied to my situation- so maybe I just don't know where to look-

But I have looked into the online courses- Liz- has helped me with some ideas too- it's really just a matter of me getting the finiances worked-out. And I have the issue about finding someone to watch my kids. My husband can't because he is never here.

You don't have to start school tomorrow.....I mean you still have toddlers. But in 5 years they'll all be in school and a things will ease up and then maybe you can get at it full time. It's never to late to start, unless you never start at all. You said you have something like 2 years right? Well 2-3 more years of school and you can have the bachelors. If you was to start at 34 or so you could have your degree by 36-37. That's not to bad my friend.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Odds aren't in your favor...screw the effing odds! Contact your local community college or university. Ask them about their Womens Re-entry program and talk to the finance office. You can take courses on line. I wouldn't recommend taking ALL of your classes online but you certainly could if you wanted to.

Odds....those are the excuses you tell yourself to keep yourself from believing in your own potential. Why are you repeating the same messages that society told you as a kid? As one former "girl from the wrong side of the tracks", lose the excuses. They won't do you or your children an ounce of good.

And about the hubby...check out information on ACOA's lady...do it yesterday. And here's a hint for you...if he lived with an alcoholic father, his role model for parenting and husbanding....was inebriated.

Camp on that thought for a little while....
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

Sailgirl

I don't think I had started to really think until I was 38 years old. Today I have daughter that is 37. You have a whole life ahead of you and so do your children. Don't be impatient. Time is on your side. You have more strength than you even know.

Still praying for you all,
Pokatator
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

Pokatator wrote:Sailgirl

I don't think I had started to really think until I was 38 years old. Today I have daughter that is 37. You have a whole life ahead of you and so do your children. Don't be impatient. Time is on your side. You have more strength than you even know.

Still praying for you all,
Pokatator

It's true I do have time- I just don't want to waste any of it. I do have to work on the patience thing- for sure. Thanks for your advice and prayers.

Sailgirl7
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

Jersey Girl wrote:Odds aren't in your favor...screw the effing odds! Contact your local community college or university. Ask them about their Womens Re-entry program and talk to the finance office. You can take courses on line. I wouldn't recommend taking ALL of your classes online but you certainly could if you wanted to.

Odds....those are the excuses you tell yourself to keep yourself from believing in your own potential. Why are you repeating the same messages that society told you as a kid? As one former "girl from the wrong side of the tracks", lose the excuses. They won't do you or your children an ounce of good.

And about the hubby...check out information on ACOA's lady...do it yesterday. And here's a hint for you...if he lived with an alcoholic father, his role model for parenting and husbanding....was inebriated.

Jersey Girl,

Is this what they call "tough love" You kick me in the butt and I get my act together? Gotta love that Jersey style of doing things. I'll try to remember to stay on your "good" side! :) Seriously though- thanks.

Oh and to clarify about my husband he only lived with his Dad until he was like 5- then his grandmother took all the kids and raised them. His older siblings have told me the horror stories. But he definitley did not have a good father figure in his life to raise him.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

sailgirl7 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sure, but can I ask you one more question first? When you say you'd like to work in support of disadvantaged children (perhaps like you once were yourself) what do you mean? Try it this way...if you could wave a magic wand and make it happen...what exactly would you be doing to help disadvantaged children?

Gosh, where to begin? There are millions of orphaned children throughout the world. Many are in war-torn countries like Iraq and the Congo, etc. They live in squalor and have no real future. Then there are the millions who don't have access to clean water. Then there are the children sold into the sex slave industry throughout Russia, Romania, and Asia. Then there are the neglected and abused children who are everywhere, who have no advocate. Then there are the less priveleged children who never have an opportunity to get proper educations and become something they want. Then there are the one's who are just ignored and tossed aside who end up drug addicts on the streets. Then there are the one's who come home to empty houses and have no parent to talk to about their day.

Some of my experiences so far include, becoming involved a little with Women for Women International when I lived near Washington D.C. They are an amazing organization that helps women in war torn countries like Iraq, Bosnia, and other places become financially independent through providing micro-loans and support to start their own businesses. This benefits the children because their mothers can have a stable income. The fathers in most of these places are either absent or abusive to their wives. Also many of these women are victims of war-time atroicities like rape.

I have also personally mentored a young woman who came from a very large family and really didn't have a lot of outside social interaction. I taught her how to sew, we made pillows and created a website and planned on selling them, but then I moved.

Right now, I am the neighborhood "mom". Many children in the area come over and I watch them, do crafts and games with them, talk to them. Last night I counted 9 children over at my house. Apparently some parents don't really care where they kids go or what they are doing. I've had kids at my house playing for hours before anyone came looking for them. I teach my kids to be generous, share their things and be selfless. My son has a heart of gold- he willingly has given away some of his toys to other kids.

I have done some pretty extensive research into how to start a NPO. I've studied the legalistic matters involved. I've done some preliminary research into specific organizations to learn their mode of operation. I've talked to several people who I would want to work with me.

I haven't narrowed my focus down sufficiently enough. I haven't secured a method of finance. I haven't written my business model yet. Although I do have some experience doing those.

But see, I am a high school drop-out. (I have my GED). I have only less then two years of college. I'm a stay-at-home- mom and I don't have a great support system.

So is it possible? I don't want to give up. But the odds are not in my favor.

You have the passion and I believe this is your calling. I have been drawn to the same causes since I turned 18 and your post reminds me of the countless times I have said the same things to my husband. I have even felt guilty about bringing children to this earth when there are so many that need homes. I have always planned to adopt children from the places you mentioned, and I also want to help mothers by educating them. I often feel so overwhelmed by the suffering in the world, and nothing pains me more than to think of the children who are neglected or abused. Even if I could help just one person.....imagine if we all did that?

The most poignant part of the movie "Schindlers List" for me was when Schindler looked at the posessions he still had with him that could have saved one more person. He broke down sobbing, yet he was a hero to so many. I don't ever want to lose focus on what really matters. There is always more I can do. This year I committed to a few organizations but I wish I were in a situation to travel and directly give service. One day.....I hope to bring my family with me on humanitarian missions. My big project this year was sending over weekly supplies to Iraq for the troops and children. I tried to commit every local person I know through tons of e-mails and word of mouth to drop off supplies at my doorstep or money for postage and I would do the rest. It was very disappointing when only 7 people respond that they want to help out of a huge group. I went ahead and did it anyways with my own money but had hoped more people would have wanted to be involved in my community. My kids write cards every week to the military.

The best part of helping these kids is that my kids are changing too.. My 6 year old has been bringing me her toys that she wants to send to the refugees in Darfur and Iraq. It melts your heart.

If you want any help with your project when you are ready, pm me. I would love to support it any way I can. :)
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

sailgirl7 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Odds aren't in your favor...screw the effing odds! Contact your local community college or university. Ask them about their Womens Re-entry program and talk to the finance office. You can take courses on line. I wouldn't recommend taking ALL of your classes online but you certainly could if you wanted to.

Jersey Girl,

Is this what they call "tough love" You kick me in the butt and I get my act together? Gotta love that Jersey style of doing things. I'll try to remember to stay on your "good" side! :) Seriously though- thanks.

Oh and to clarify about my husband he only lived with his Dad until he was like 5- then his grandmother took all the kids and raised them. His older siblings have told me the horror stories. But he definitley did not have a good father figure in his life to raise him.

No, it's not "tough love". It's an observation. I don't have to "kick you in the butt". You do it to yourself.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

Seven wrote:

You have the passion and I believe this is your calling. I have been drawn to the same causes since I turned 18 and your post reminds me of the countless times I have said the same things to my husband. I have even felt guilty about bringing children to this earth when there are so many that need homes. I have always planned to adopt children from the places you mentioned, and I also want to help mothers by educating them. I often feel so overwhelmed by the suffering in the world, and nothing pains me more than to think of the children who are neglected or abused. Even if I could help just one person.....imagine if we all did that?

The most poignant part of the movie "Schindlers List" for me was when Schindler looked at the posessions he still had with him that could have saved one more person. He broke down sobbing, yet he was a hero to so many. I don't ever want to lose focus on what really matters. There is always more I can do. This year I committed to a few organizations but I wish I were in a situation to travel and directly give service. One day.....I hope to bring my family with me on humanitarian missions. My big project this year was sending over weekly supplies to Iraq for the troops and children. I tried to commit every local person I know through tons of e-mails and word of mouth to drop off supplies at my doorstep or money for postage and I would do the rest. It was very disappointing when only 7 people respond that they want to help out of a huge group. I went ahead and did it anyways with my own money but had hoped more people would have wanted to be involved in my community. My kids write cards every week to the military.

The best part of helping these kids is that my kids are changing too.. My 6 year old has been bringing me her toys that she wants to send to the refugees in Darfur and Iraq. It melts your heart.

If you want any help with your project when you are ready, pm me. I would love to support it any way I can. :)

Seven,

Wow- thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I feel like I'm talking into an echo chamber with you- because there are so many things you talk about that are the exact same for me.

You do have the passion- and the mission too!. That is so great you actually organized that drive to get supplies for the troops. But it is really, really sad that so few stepped up to help out and make a difference. The world does need more people like you who are willing and able to do so much good. That's what makes it sad to think you have family who judges you based on your church activity level instead of the goodness of your character and your contribution to humanity. I understand that- and it's heartbreaking.

I too want to have my children involved in service as much as possible- what better way to teach them than hands-on service projects? It's a great feeling knowing you are doing good for your children and others.

What part of the country do you live in- if you don't mind my asking. I would love to work with you on projects- if it's possible. Thanks so much for your interest.

Sailgirl7
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
No, it's not "tough love". It's an observation. I don't have to "kick you in the butt". You do it to yourself.

I got it. Message recieved loud and clear.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Who Knows wrote:
sailgirl7 wrote:My husband tells me I need to be size 2 again( he mentions that about once a week)- but dang it- I've had 3 kids and it's hard to get there! I want to please my husband and be attractive- but at what cost to myself?

RED FLAG! WARNING BELL!

That borders on emotional abuse. Wow. My wife would kick my ass if I ever hinted at such a thing.

Agreed. that is a cruel thing to say, especially if he repeats it more than once.

Give him the pimp hand.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning