Harry Potter 7, thread A ***NO SPOILERS!***

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Sorry, Shades! :(

I didn't realize that giving the title of a chapter was a spoiler.

Sorry, guys!

Oh! And Bond is right...once you get to page 500+, it's non-stop action!

;)
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:Sorry, Shades! :(

I didn't realize that giving the title of a chapter was a spoiler.

It is, since I now know that a certain locale is visited, which I wouldn't have known otherwise.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I've yet to read a single Potter, but a series I keep meaning to get to is His Dark Materials. Anybody familiar with it? I would expect it would be of interest to people here.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

In case you don't know anything about Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials, here's a quick summary I lifted from Wikipedia:

The three major literary influences on His Dark Materials acknowledged by Pullman himself are the essay "On the Marionette Theatre" by Heinrich von Kleist, the works of William Blake, and, most importantly, John Milton's Paradise Lost, from which the trilogy derives its title as well as many of its basic ideas. Pullman's stated intention was to invert Milton's story of a war between heaven and hell. In his introduction, he adapts Blake's line to quip that he (Pullman) "is of the Devil's party and does know it." The novels also draw heavily on gnostic ideas, and His Dark Materials has been a subject of controversy, especially with Christian groups...

His Dark Materials can be seen as the antithesis of The Chronicles of Narnia, the seven-book fantasy series by C. S. Lewis, although Pullman denies any conscious connection. This image has been reinforced by Pullman making public statements accusing Lewis of being "blatantly racist" and "monumentally disparaging of women" in his novels.

Christianity and the Church are criticized by some of the characters. For example, Ruta Skadi, a witch and friend of Lyra's calling for war against the Magisterium in Lyra's world, says that "For all of [the Church's] history...it's tried to suppress and control every natural impulse. And when it can't control them, it cuts them out." Skadi later extends her criticism to all organized religion: "That's what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling."

I've been meaning to read this series for ages--I'm especially interested in its anti-Narnia aspects (and Pullman's criticism of Lewis is spot on IMHO).
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Yee Haw! I just finished it!

My daughter read it first and I got to start reading last night. It's a great read!

KA
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Blixa

Post by _Gazelam »

Christianity and the Church are criticized by some of the characters. For example, Ruta Skadi, a witch and friend of Lyra's calling for war against the Magisterium in Lyra's world, says that "For all of [the Church's] history...it's tried to suppress and control every natural impulse. And when it can't control them, it cuts them out." Skadi later extends her criticism to all organized religion: "That's what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling."

There is a difference between pleasure and happiness. As King Arthur said to Lancelot and Guinevere as the kingdom began to crumble due to their affair "Let not our passions destroy our dreams"
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Yee Haw! I just finished it!

My daughter read it first and I got to start reading last night. It's a great read!

How the Hell can you people read a book that long in less than a day??

I'll never figure it out. A book like that takes me about a month.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

I'm with Dr. Shades on this, I read a lot slower. My son on the other hand went to the midnight opening to get a book, got home and I know he slept a little and was complaining at 9:30 am the next morning that he had to be at work at 10 and had 15 pages to go.

I could read that fast but I wouldn't comprehend a bit of it.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Pokatator wrote:I could read that fast but I wouldn't comprehend a bit of it.

I'm with you. Yes, I could read it that fast, but there's no way I could possibly enjoy the read and I wouldn't remember a single bit of it once I got done.

--Louis Midgley
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Pokatator wrote:I could read that fast but I wouldn't comprehend a bit of it.

I'm with you. Yes, I could read it that fast, but there's no way I could possibly enjoy the read and I wouldn't remember a single bit of it once I got done.

The first read is about quenching the Harry Potter gene.....the second (and third.....and fourth....) reads are about enjoying the book and finding the complexities of the story. (Example: My second read through Harry Potter 5 I noticed the locket while they were cleaning Sirius's house......which of course was a big deal later on....I remembered the locket because I had reread 5 before 6 came out, and thus made the subtle connection.)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07