Why Global Warming doesn't matter: mathematical evidence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Why Global Warming doesn't matter: mathematical evidence

Post by _asbestosman »

part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
part 7
part 8

I agree that our inability to understand exponential growth is a huge problem in people grasping the situation as to why global warming won't really matter.

I'm expecially interested in Coggins' comments.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Why Global Warming doesn't matter: mathematical evidence

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
part 7
part 8

I agree that our inability to understand exponential growth is a huge problem in people grasping the situation as to why global warming won't really matter.

Perhaps global warming is nature's way of controlling the exponential growth?

Thanks for posting. I only got through the first 3 for now, but it's very mind-blowing. The example about the bacteria in the bottle doubling every minute was very powerful (what time would they realize they were in trouble?).

Poor guy though, no one laughed at his gall bladder joke.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:I'm expecially interested in Coggins' comments.

Yes, because coggins comments will be concise and scientific...snicker snicker.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
part 7
part 8

??

What this all about? Global warming doesn't matter>?
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Tarski wrote:
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
part 7
part 8

??

What this all about? Global warming doesn't matter>?

Oh, I think I see.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I watched a show on the Nova channel the other day and scientists were saying we were going to slowly be engulfed by the sun as the sun becomes larger and larger. Either way we'll be toasty.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

barrelomonkeys wrote:I watched a show on the Nova channel the other day and scientists were saying we were going to slowly be engulfed by the sun as the sun becomes larger and larger. Either way we'll be toasty.

"We" may not even exist or be human by that time "5 billion years from now". That's a long time for evolution to work.
I don't think it is a consideration.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Well that's a relief. I'll find something else to fret about now. Any suggestions?
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:
Tarski wrote:What this all about? Global warming doesn't matter>?

Oh, I think I see.

Probably. My point is that we'll run out of resources (or at least feel the effects of the cruch) long before we'll feel the effects of global warming. My personal opinion is that the former is more pressing than the latter and that the former is even less debateable than the global warming thing.

Persaonally I've pretty much given up hope and think we'll almost certainly be heading for a global energy crisis followed by war, famine, and pesitilence. That doesn't mean I'm not trying to do anything, but I just don't think my personal contribution will amount to more than a drop in the ocean.

It really struck me how the good things like healthcare only make the problem worse. Birthcontrol, while perhaps the best of the bad options, is still too politically incorrect. Besides, I'm not sure how our economy could handle a world without growth. It's starting to hurt Asia (China and Japan) if I've heard correctly.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

asbestosman wrote:
Tarski wrote:
Tarski wrote:What this all about? Global warming doesn't matter>?

Oh, I think I see.

Probably. My point is that we'll run out of resources (or at least feel the effects of the cruch) long before we'll feel the effects of global warming. My personal opinion is that the former is more pressing than the latter and that the former is even less debateable than the global warming thing.

Persaonally I've pretty much given up hope and think we'll almost certainly be heading for a global energy crisis followed by war, famine, and pesitilence. That doesn't mean I'm not trying to do anything, but I just don't think my personal contribution will amount to more than a drop in the ocean.

It really struck me how the good things like healthcare only make the problem worse. Birthcontrol, while perhaps the best of the bad options, is still too politically incorrect. Besides, I'm not sure how our economy could handle a world without growth. It's starting to hurt Asia (China and Japan) if I've heard correctly.

The growth is slow in all of the industrialized nations. The only reason we don't see the effects here is because of the immigration of new citizens. There are programs set up in a few countries that try to give incentives for couples to have children.

China doesn't have a problem with growth. Their problem is they are going to have a very large population of males and not females in a number of years due to their one child policy.

Japan does have a slow growth rate... but it's an industrialized nation.
*edited because I wrote once child policy insteady of one child policy*
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.