Anybody been following the Michael Vick dogfighting thing?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Anybody been following the Michael Vick dogfighting thing?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I've recently read the indictment against Vick and his pals and honestly I think this alone should spell the end of Vick as a sports athlete. I really doubt I'll ever consider him much of anything ever again if he's indeed proven guilty....(and it doesn't look good for him).

Thoughts?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Yoda

Re: Anybody been following the Michael Vick dogfighting thin

Post by _Yoda »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I've recently read the indictment against Vick and his pals and honestly I think this alone should spell the end of Vick as a sports athlete. I really doubt I'll ever consider him much of anything ever again if he's indeed proven guilty....(and it doesn't look good for him).

Thoughts?

Fill some of us nerds in who are not into sports.

I have no idea what this man did.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

liz3564 wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I've recently read the indictment against Vick and his pals and honestly I think this alone should spell the end of Vick as a sports athlete. I really doubt I'll ever consider him much of anything ever again if he's indeed proven guilty....(and it doesn't look good for him).

Thoughts?

Fill some of us nerds in who are not into sports.

I have no idea what this man did.

He's the quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons....he's been indicted for participating in numerous crimes associated to dogfighting, including training, attending, and gambling on fights. Here's a link that talks about it somewhat. You can read the indictment (which lists some truly disgusting and cruel behavior) on the Internet. Vick goes to trial in November.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Thoughts?

I've been following this and the gambling NBA official thing as well. I think Vick is done. Professional sports athletes are getting away with too much of this kind of behavior (not just the dog thing; add to it all the crap the Bengals players have been doing along with the steroid controversy, etc.)...it's time for fans to realize that these guys are getting paid way too much and to do something about it. We shouldn't go to games or watch games (this would be difficult but necessary, just stick with amateur/college events) in order to bring the salaries down. All professional sports organizations should have a zero tolerance policy for any player convicted of criminal behavior...one time and you're gone.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

silentkid wrote:
I've been following this and the gambling NBA official thing as well.

Yeah...that NBA official thing is going to be bad too.

I think Vick is done.

Agreed.

Professional sports athletes are getting away with too much of this kind of behavior (not just the dog thing; add to it all the crap the Bengals players have been doing along with the steroid controversy, etc.)...

I think that this dog fighting thing is beyond DUI or a marijuana charge. This dog fighting thing is cruel and sadistic, while DUIs happen to everyone. Of course dog fighting isn't just a Vick thing, but DUIs or marijuana smoking only harms that one person (unless of course if the DUI causes a crash or something....at which point vehicular homicide should come into play).

The steroid thing I agree is bad....mostly because they are gaining an edge in their profession (rather than doing something off the field that's stupid).

All professional sports organizations should have a zero tolerance policy for any player convicted of criminal behavior...one time and you're gone.

I think some things should get a second chance (like DUIs) but yeah quite a few people should have been gone from their profession years ago (Ron Artest, Mike Tyson come to mind).
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I've been following the story a little bit. It's despicable and I think he should no longer be allowed to play. I'm so tired of athletes, celebrities, acting as though they can not be held to the same societal norms as everyone else.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

barrelomonkeys wrote:I'm so tired of athletes, celebrities, acting as though they can not be held to the same societal norms as everyone else.

You aren't the only one. I hate hearing about what celebrities are doing or who they're doing or whatever.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I think that this dog fighting thing is beyond DUI or a marijuana charge. This dog fighting thing is cruel and sadistic, while DUIs happen to everyone. Of course dog fighting isn't just a Vick thing, but DUIs or marijuana smoking only harms that one person (unless of course if the DUI causes a crash or something....at which point vehicular homicide should come into play).

Yes, the dog fighting thing is much worse. It deserves a much harsher penalty. I don't see personal marijuana use as a problem either...sorry, I wasn't too specific in my post. I think that all of these guys could avoid the DUI thing...they obviously make enough money to hire a driver or pay for a taxi. If they want to party, they need to party responsibly.

Bond...James Bond wrote:The steroid thing I agree is bad....mostly because they are gaining an edge in their profession (rather than doing something off the field that's stupid).

I was thinking more of the recent "roid rage" incident with that so-called professional wrestler. At this point, so many athletes are using steroids and HGH that they should just allow them and even out the playing field (sure, this would render all pre-steroid historical records meaningless). If they want to destroy their own bodies by using them, fine. Just make sure they are medically regulated so we don't get more of these roid rage incidents that hurt innocent people.

Back to Vick. I know you've mentioned that you're a Braves fan. Are you also a Falcons fan? If so, what does this mean for the team? Do you think fans will boycott the games?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

silentkid wrote:Yes, the dog fighting thing is much worse. It deserves a much harsher penalty. I don't see personal marijuana use as a problem either...sorry, I wasn't too specific in my post. I think that all of these guys could avoid the DUI thing...they obviously make enough money to hire a driver or pay for a taxi. If they want to party, they need to party responsibly.

You'd think so.....but I guess money can't buy brains (lindsay lohan, paris hilton, etc)

I was thinking more of the recent "roid rage" incident with that so-called professional wrestler. At this point, so many athletes are using steroids and HGH that they should just allow them and even out the playing field (sure, this would render all pre-steroid historical records meaningless). If they want to destroy their own bodies by using them, fine. Just make sure they are medically regulated so we don't get more of these roid rage incidents that hurt innocent people.

I completely forgot the Chris Benoit incident.....yeah that was bad.

Yeah....it appears they might as well legalize steroids in sports (and keep the players locked in Hannibal Lecter like cages between games).

Back to Vick. I know you've mentioned that you're a Braves fan. Are you also a Falcons fan? If so, what does this mean for the team? Do you think fans will boycott the games?

No I'm not a Falcons fan.....I don't know what it means for the team. I'm about done with professional football anyway....if Vick is the starting QB for the Falcons come the new season I'll probably switch over to the other football full time. It's just completely barbaric what these people do to these dogs and I won't support Vick by watching his league I don't think. I hate animal abuse.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

silentkid wrote:Professional sports athletes are getting away with too much of this kind of behavior (not just the dog thing; add to it all the crap the Bengals players have been doing along with the steroid controversy, etc.)...it's time for fans to realize that these guys are getting paid way too much and to do something about it.

What have the Bengals players been doing?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley