The Saddest Photo

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

The Saddest Photo

Post by _Blixa »

I saw this photo w/text below yesterday and its still making me sad and angry today.

White Tiger (Kenny), Selective Inbreeding
Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge and Foundation
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

In the United States, all living white tigers are the result of selective inbreeding to artificially create the genetic conditions that lead to white fur, ice-blue eyes and a pink nose. Kenny was born to a breeder in Bentonville, Arkansas on February 3, 1999. As a result of inbreeding, Kenny is mentally retarded and has significant physical limitations. Due to his deep-set nose, he has difficulty breathing and closing his jaw, his teeth are severely malformed and he limps from abnormal bone structure in his forearms. The three other tigers in Kenny’s litter are not considered to be quality white tigers as they are yellow coated, cross-eyed, and knock-kneed.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

OMG! My family is one of Kenny's sponsors! He's our adopted tiger. :)

Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge is about three hours from my house, and we pass it every time we go to Eureka Springs, and sometimes on our way to Branson. We always stop by to see the animals, and a couple of years ago, my daughter Madeline talked us into "sponsoring" Kenny, which means we send his keepers some money every month (or maybe quarterly - however it is we do it).

I love cats in general, but especially big cats. It's a relief that Turpentine Creek is available to save some of the big cats who need rescued, but they certainly can't take all of them. I wish people were more responsible and humane.

KA
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

KA that makes my day! Wow.

I love the internet.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."