Yes! Yes! YES!!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Yes! Yes! YES!!!

Post by _Jason Bourne »

The Nehor wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:My kids are back in school!!

I'm going to drop the littlest off at pre-school and hit Barnes and Noble - ALONE! Yee Haw!

Doing a happy dance,

KA

Hmmmm. I thought this was about something else..........(note to self. get mind out of gutter)

I admit this was also my first thought. Though I suspect the euphoria in both states are good.

We are both just pigs Nehor. Time to face it.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Miss Taken wrote:KA, My son has almost 6 weeks off. I'm going to enjoy every single moment. (and the housework can wait)...

He's already learned to fly a stunt kite up on the hills (makes up for the fact that he can't do most sports)...

I honestly really, really miss him when he goes back to school (Sept 4th I think). Schools can be glorified babysitting services if the
teacher's not up to the job... (next year he has two good ones)

Edited to add that my opinion may be shaped by the fact I only have one, and that I had to wait 37 long years before having my first.

Your boy sounds delightful!

I also enjoy my daughters tremendously and love having them home in the summer, but my girls are out for three months, and by the end of summer break, they're bored. They're as ready for school as I am!

I'd love a year round schedule with six week breaks. I hope we go to that schedule soon!

KA
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Jason Bourne wrote:We are both just pigs Nehor. Time to face it.

I prefer to just call myself male.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:My kids are back in school!!

I'm going to drop the littlest off at pre-school and hit Barnes and Noble - ALONE! Yee Haw!

Doing a happy dance,

KA

Hmmmm. I thought this was about something else..........(note to self. get mind out of gutter)

I admit this was also my first thought. .

Dirty mind?

Lust is sin (Matthew 5:28) and sin is death (Romans 6:23). ...

19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

"And I say unto you again that he cannot save them in their sins; for I cannot deny his word, and he hath said that no unclean thing can inherit ...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Enemy or not, I kinda like this scripture:
2 Ne. 2: 25
25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.

When you're happy and ya know it . . . nevermind.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
Your boy sounds delightful!

I also enjoy my daughters tremendously and love having them home in the summer, but my girls are out for three months, and by the end of summer break, they're bored. They're as ready for school as I am!

I'd love a year round schedule with six week breaks. I hope we go to that schedule soon!

KA

Thanks KA, we are just coming round to a different system. Summer Holidays used to be 7 weeks when I was a kid.
I can't believe you guys have them home for 3 months!!! I didn't know that...Wow...

What is the reasoning...Is it because of the weather. I know in the Med they have a similar system because of the heat.
3 months...ikes,,,,ikes,,,,,and more ikes......

Mary
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

We've had this schedule for as long as we've had public school here in Oklahoma. I wonder if it had something to do initially with children being available to work in the fields and gardens over the summer? We have a traditional late fall break, too, that is about a week long, and that would be about harvest time, so I'm guessing that's why the school schedule is the way it is, though it's beginning to change.

Some schools in the area have gone to year-round school with six week breaks periodically. I hope the district in which my children attend school adopts that schedule soon.

Enjoy the break with your son!

KA
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Tarski wrote:Dirty mind?

Yes.

KA
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

KimberlyAnn wrote:We've had this schedule for as long as we've had public school here in Oklahoma. I wonder if it had something to do initially with children being available to work in the fields and gardens over the summer? We have a traditional late fall break, too, that is about a week long, and that would be about harvest time, so I'm guessing that's why the school schedule is the way it is, though it's beginning to change.

Some schools in the area have gone to year-round school with six week breaks periodically. I hope the district in which my children attend school adopts that schedule soon.

KA

I think the three month break was agriculturally based - when I was in a kid in a rural Northern California town (pop. 10,500), school started whenever the harvest was over - so we didn't always know which week it would be. I always thought it was funny, since in addition to the ag stuff, the town was a well-to-do bedroom community for a major city. Us non-ag kids didn't care though - sometime it just meant an extra week for summer!

Edited to add: My oldest starts kindergarten in just over two weeks. We're both pretty stoked. That'll leave me and the two year old with a few spare hours for the park and what-not.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

skippy the dead wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:We've had this schedule for as long as we've had public school here in Oklahoma. I wonder if it had something to do initially with children being available to work in the fields and gardens over the summer? We have a traditional late fall break, too, that is about a week long, and that would be about harvest time, so I'm guessing that's why the school schedule is the way it is, though it's beginning to change.

KA

I think the three month break was agriculturally based - when I was in a kid in a rural Northern California town (pop. 10,500), school started whenever the harvest was over - so we didn't always know which week it would be. I always thought it was funny, since in addition to the ag stuff, the town was a well-to-do bedroom community for a major city. Us non-ag kids didn't care though - sometime it just meant an extra week for summer!

Edited to add: My oldest starts kindergarten in just over two weeks. We're both pretty stoked. That'll leave me and the two year old with a few spare hours for the park and what-not.

Is Kindergarten all day in your district? It is here, and wow, is it nice!

Enjoy the last few weeks of summer break!

KA