Art Brut...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Yes can't wait to hear. I am currently without transportatin so am MISSING THE GIG OF THE CENTURY....argh
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Doctor Steuss wrote:I play this:

Well, of course you do - being the coolest man alive and all...
*Keeps jealousy in check - barely*

But, my stuff from drumming with Coldplay is the bomb-diggidy.

'Tis true. But I've already heard it all...!

Ok, I'll get you links for the other stuff (once we're done recording).

That'd better be a promise.

"We met through a common view. She liked me and I did too."

Lets. Push. Things. Forward...!
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Oi, oi, oi… stop shagging the birds and fighting the geezers.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

We didn't order chicken, Not a problem we'll pick it out
I doubt they meant to mess us about
After all we're all adults not louts.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Well, the show has come and gone. There wasn’t much of a crowd, at least not the crowd I had hoped for. The area with the stage was closed off while sound checks were going on, so we got to hang with just us and their band for quite a while. We kept our set pretty short because we knew who everyone was really there to see (ok, everyone except for maybe a handful). They played for about an hour and a half and it was brilliant! After the show, the bass player and lead singer kind of took off (not sure where). But the two guitar players and the drummer ended up hanging out with us until around five in the morning. They are really groovy guys.

That’s all.

Over-and-out.

PS.
We finished recording our first song. Now begins the long task of mixing and mastering. We have to wait for a while, as the dude doing the album for us wants to get his hands on a reel-to-reel recorder to transfer our song onto in order to give it the warm analogue sound.

Ok, that’s all.

Really.

Over-and-out.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Thanks for the update, Steuss!

I wish I could have been there and added to the numbers in the crowd.

Glad you had a good time,

KA
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Doctor Steuss wrote:We have to wait for a while, as the dude doing the album for us wants to get his hands on a reel-to-reel recorder to transfer our song onto in order to give it the warm analogue sound.

Transferring to tape is a good idea...make sure your sound engineer gets the levels up to saturate it. My friends and I recorded an album back in '99 (damn, I'm getting old) and transferred the mix to 1/2 inch tape for mastering. It definitely made it sound better. I can't wait to hear the song.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

silentkid wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:We have to wait for a while, as the dude doing the album for us wants to get his hands on a reel-to-reel recorder to transfer our song onto in order to give it the warm analogue sound.

Transferring to tape is a good idea...make sure your sound engineer gets the levels up to saturate it. My friends and I recorded an album back in '99 (damn, I'm getting old) and transferred the mix to 1/2 inch tape for mastering. It definitely made it sound better. I can't wait to hear the song.

We're doing the one that is currently on our myspace profile. It is sounding much better than the "quicky" that is there. One of the problems he's running into is that the current trend in music is to make the recordings as loud as possible (Yoshimi is an example). Luckily, this song doesn't exactly have any dynamics, but we have another one that is going to be a huge issue when the time comes for mastering.

The label hombre is anti-physical medium. However, he did say that he would think about doing a vinyl release. I think that would be some groovy cheese.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Doctor Steuss wrote:One of the problems he's running into is that the current trend in music is to make the recordings as loud as possible (Yoshimi is an example). Luckily, this song doesn't exactly have any dynamics, but we have another one that is going to be a huge issue when the time comes for mastering.

Saturating the tape won't have an effect on the end volume...he'll still have to do that in the final mastering phase. It'll just make things sound thicker and warmer (insert nasty innuendo here). You are exactly right about Yoshimi. Wayne Coyne said in an interview that they wanted to make their albums as loud as possible because so many people are listening to compressed files through cheap headphones. The downside to that is that I don't put any Flaming Lips songs on mixes because they're too loud compared to the other tracks.

...he did say that he would think about doing a vinyl release. I think that would be some groovy cheese.

I agree.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

I forgot to add what Ian (lead guitar) said to me as we were parting ways in the wee hours of the morning:

“Stuart, you guys are brilliant and I’m glad we got to hear you. But, I want you to remember one thing from all of this. Don’t f*** with the Cosby kids.”