Please welcome to the forums!!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

If shes as shallow of a thinker as you it will not be hard to dismantle her arguments, like I did with you.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Dulcinea
_Emeritus

Post by _Dulcinea »

Thank you, Kimberly!

Sorry to burst your bubble, Mercury, but I don't argue. It is a waste of energy. Everyone has the right to their beliefs; it is what this country was founded upon.
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:If she's as shallow of a thinker as you it will not be hard to dismantle her arguments, like I did with you.

Heh... Never seen where you did that (nor I, you for that matter), but its good to see you keep score, there, Merc.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Nephi wrote:
Mercury wrote:If she's as shallow of a thinker as you it will not be hard to dismantle her arguments, like I did with you.

Heh... Never seen where you did that (nor I, you for that matter), but its good to see you keep score, there, Merc.

Of course you don't see it. You are never wrong in your eyes.
Lost in time
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Medina wrote:Thank you, Kimberly!

Sorry to burst your bubble, Mercury, but I don't argue. It is a waste of energy. Everyone has the right to their beliefs; it is what this country was founded upon.

Everyone does not have their right to their beliefs. Ask Joseph Smith if he has the right to screw 14 year old girls and destroy printing presses. he had no right to believe he was in the right.

:)

Welcome. Prepare to have your beliefs falsified.
Lost in time
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:

Of course you don't see it. You are never wrong in your eyes.

Never said that either, and I have several times apologized when I was incorrect about something here. But generally speaking, people (this includes you) are biased towards their own beliefs, and therefore believe they are correct before they will believe someone else is correct.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Nephi wrote:Never said that either, and I have several times apologized when I was incorrect about something here. But generally speaking, people (this includes you) are biased towards their own beliefs, and therefore believe they are correct before they will believe someone else is correct.

For me it depends on who holds those beliefs. Certain people hold considerable sway and I will undoubtedly consider their beliefs as superior than my own. I then try to adjust my schema to see what belief I can incorporate into my prior beliefs or toss out all said prior beliefs. Or I might just reject the new data all together as not compatible with my belief.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Mercury wrote:Everyone does not have their right to their beliefs. Ask Joseph Smith if he has the right to screw 14 year old girls and destroy printing presses. he had no right to believe he was in the right.

Forgive me, but you're technically incorrect.

Case law ever since Reynolds vs. the United States has upheld the concept that everyone indeed has the right to believe whatever he or she wishes to believe, but everyone does not always have the right to act upon those beliefs.

For example, let's say a family from the jungles of the Congo somehow manages to immigrate to the United States. Now, that family does indeed have the right, under the U.S. Constitution, to believe that human sacrifice is a correct concept which ought to be carried out, but that family does NOT have the right to act on those beliefs by actually sacrificing someone (since such activities are proscribed by law).
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Beavis, behave.

;)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mercury wrote:Everyone does not have their right to their beliefs. Ask Joseph Smith if he has the right to screw 14 year old girls and destroy printing presses. he had no right to believe he was in the right.

Forgive me, but you're technically incorrect.

Case law ever since Reynolds vs. the United States has upheld the concept that everyone indeed has the right to believe whatever he or she wishes to believe, but everyone does not always have the right to act upon those beliefs.

For example, let's say a family from the jungles of the Congo somehow manages to immigrate to the United States. Now, that family does indeed have the right, under the U.S. Constitution, to believe that human sacrifice is a correct concept which ought to be carried out, but that family does NOT have the right to act on those beliefs by actually sacrificing someone (since such activities are proscribed by law).

True. Point conceded.

Acting upon ones beliefs is the line that should have been defined.
Lost in time