Motorsport racing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Nephi

Motorsport racing

Post by _Nephi »

So, tonight, and old but good friend of mine called me and invited me out to Beach Bend Speedway for the oval races. I have lived in this town for about 10 years total, and I have never been out there. But, because its Friday, and I wanted something to do, I went with him.

OMG, that was so much fun. I never thought I would like to watch cars race in a circle, but there were about 12-15 races, and many of them were really close finishes. Toboot, the final two races were figure 8 races... Man, there are some guys out there that have much bigger balls than I do racing that crap.

Anyhow, one of the things that were raced were baby grands and minicup (see http://www.mmraracing.com/). They look almost like go carts, but go fairly fast for their size (80-120 mph or so). I think I have found something else to get addicted to, and possibly even try to race myself someday.... All I have to say is this: If you have never been, and think its silly, please, go once and prove me wrong... its a lot of fun, redneck and all!
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Motorsport racing

Post by _Runtu »

I could tell you were a redneck at heart. :)
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Nephi wrote:So, tonight, and old but good friend of mine called me and invited me out to Beach Bend Speedway for the oval races. I have lived in this town for about 10 years total, and I have never been out there. But, because its Friday, and I wanted something to do, I went with him.

OMG, that was so much fun. I never thought I would like to watch cars race in a circle, but there were about 12-15 races, and many of them were really close finishes. Toboot, the final two races were figure 8 races... Man, there are some guys out there that have much bigger balls than I do racing that crap.

Anyhow, one of the things that were raced were baby grands and minicup (see http://www.mmraracing.com/). They look almost like go carts, but go fairly fast for their size (80-120 mph or so). I think I have found something else to get addicted to, and possibly even try to race myself someday.... All I have to say is this: If you have never been, and think its silly, please, go once and prove me wrong... its a lot of fun, redneck and all!

Queue Banjo music and a crosseyed backwoods hick saying "you got a purrdy mouth".
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

A shirt for our friend named after a fictional Mormon character:

_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:So, tonight, and old but good friend of mine called me and invited me out to Beach Bend Speedway for the oval races. I have lived in this town for about 10 years total, and I have never been out there. But, because its Friday, and I wanted something to do, I went with him.

Queue Banjo music and a crosseyed backwoods hick saying "you got a purrdy mouth".

Doesn't help that I play fiddle, does it?
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I have only been to a race once. It was in Vermont when I was a child and I recall watching a light blue car race about the tracks. It wasn't too much fun then.

I doubt I'd enjoy it much now. I haven't given it another go though.

Glad you enjoyed your outing Nephi.