Requesting good vibes and prayers, please.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Requesting good vibes and prayers, please.

Post by _Sam Harris »

It's final. I gotta file chapter 7, I've listened to the family and friends who swear I'm an idiot for even considering it, but my medical debt is so large, that the average credit counseling plan would cost me all that I make each month minus $200 (I put that down as my grocery stipend, but that's wishful thinking, I eat what I can find these days, rarely good, nutritious meals).

I can't even afford the lawyer, so if I'm lucky, and there's enough funds this week when I'm done with all I have to do, I'll be going down to that courthouse to file. I've filled out the papers, they're just sitting here, and I'll have to tweak a few (yet more damn medical bills!!!!), but this seems like the only thing I can do.

I just hope I've done it right. The thought of a trustee scares me, I don't like courtrooms, I've already been sued twice, and was poor as hell then as I am now.

Can y'all sneak some good vibes my way? I'd appreciate it.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Lots and lots of (((((((((((((GOOD VIBES)))))))))))))) for GIMR!
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Thank you, dear. Your good vibes are especially precious to me. How have you been doing?

I have mixed feelings right now. I'm not used to having people tell me I'm right on such a big thing, and now I feel like I'm standing on a cliff....but I need to do this.

When my discharge comes, I'm holding a party. I plan to send out evites and everything, "Come to Samantha's Bankruptcy Jubilee!!!" (and my friend will think I've gone nuts).

Well, off to bed with me. I'm exhausted, emotionally and otherwise. But the Powers that Be are providing, there will be enough this week, and for that I'm grateful.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I'm okay GIMR. Thinking of you quite a bit and wondering how you're doing.

That's the spirit, have a big party to celebrate. You'll pull through it. Yer a tough cookie.

:)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

It's not the end of the world if you have to file. I have two friends who went through bankruptcy for medical expenses. They both own cars and houses now.

Have you spoken with anyone at DSS (Department of Social Services)?

You might be surprised what Medicaid, etc. is willing to pick up..particularly if your folks aren't claiming you on their income taxes.

It might be worth making an appointment with someone there, just to see if any light can be shed...

Just a thought if you want to try one more avenue.

Also...you may want to check with legal aid and see if anyone there can give you tips on what might be the best financial course.

My prayers will definitely be with you, in any case.

We came very close to foreclosure on our home about ten years ago. I had been laid off from my job, and things were really tight. It was a scary time.

I'll be thinking of you, GIMR.

Feel free to drop me an email.

The new one (deleted)
Last edited by _Yoda on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Cyber hugs and good thoughts to you, GIMR!

You are a smart woman. Trust your own judgment and feel settled.

KA
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

This too shall pass....
Best wishes Sami.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

I respect you a lot GIMR.
Best wishes from me...
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Thank you guys so much for your support. Renegade, I can't tell you what your words mean to me, the impact they have. I think I've spent a lot of time doutbing myself this year, I've never begged people so much for anything, I've always been the type to either do without or get it on my own. Now I'm begging my school to rescind my tuition balance (they should, it's their fault I have it), been (at least trying to) begging my family to understand what I'm going through, begging the bill collectors that I absolutely have to pay to give me one more week...I'll be glad when this is done.

Hey Liz, my author-friend. I think we should both publish our work under pen names, I liked your steamy story...might have to read that to my beau, but then he might get ideas. :-)

Virginia is a terrible state to live in if you're poor and single. They will only help people who are immigrants or have kids. At least the county I live in gives one so much trouble, and Fairfax County is one of the richest (and most expensive to live in) in the country. I've been up to DSS on at least two occasions, and medicaid I am not eligible for, because I make about $3k too much per year by their standards. I couldn't even get food stamps, they're supposed to at least give you emergency aid if you're in a dire situation (mine wasn't dire enough), but they just make me jump through hoops, and really never showed that they cared. If I had kids, though...oh the things they would provide for me. But that's not in the plan yet.

I'm not too upset about filing, in fact I can't wait to get it done in a way, it's just embarking on the process that scares me. There's a book I need to get (or at least look into at the library which I shall do today) that's really helpful for filing bankrupcty on your own, and it covers the new laws...I just have a few questions, that I can't even ask a lawyer. Legal aid won't help me, because again, I make too much money by their standards. This country sucks sometimes, many places will not help you if you give off the slightest impression that you are trying to help yourself. Every time I see a young girl my age cashing a welfare check and going to get her nails done, I just want to smack her. You get a free ride and are at the club each weekend because your irresponsible ass had kids. But me? No, I have to juggle responsibilities each week.

I told my mom what CCCS told me, I'm hoping she'll continue to not bug me for rent for a while. My temp job ended friday, and that damn agency, I was telling them for three weeks that it was ending, to look for something else for me. Because I was so "marketable", they ignored my request to make sure I was open and available should the client need me when they return from conference...but that leaves me unemployed for this week. I'll be babysitting for two days, and I'm grateful for that, because I'm two weeks behind on paying for this laptop (rent-a-center sucks, I've learned my lesson!), and my cell phone bill is due. After paying for these two things, there essentially goes my last paycheck...but at least with the babysitting gig I'll have a little extra change, and I can get some groceries...which I hope mom will not eat, she always tries to sneak stuff in like that, like it's innocent, but let me do it and I have to replace stuff. *sigh*

Anyways...I will definitely be filing unemployment at the end of this week to cover what I did not make, and I dare that agency to say that I refused work....I have the email I sent to the project manager last week begging her to reply to me and tell me if I was indeed going to work...and I had to go up there last week, not that this did any good. People are going to slowly learn, I'm not one to cheat.

Well, back to bed. I shouldn't be up at 4am anyways, but my tummy got hungry, LOL.

Peace out, folks. Thank you for your support!

-GIMR
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

GIMR wrote:Renegade, I can't tell you what your words mean to me, the impact they have.

I read your blog and I process it all. Or at least I try to.
The only reason I don't comment is because I want to respond with more than inane things like 'Oh, I'm sorry', or 'Go you!'

...as I get to know you better, maybe I'll have more to say.
Till then, just know that - considering all the stuff your dealing with - I have no idea how you end up sounding so chipper...! :)

Again, I very much respect the way your dealing with life, considering some of the circumstances. If only I could do as well...