Systemic Racism in America Exists

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Systemic Racism in America Exists

Post by Atlanticmike »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm
Worth mentioning that Cult's FOX Newsesque take on Systemic Racism doesn't address let alone negate any of the bullet points presented in this thread proving it exists.
In your opinion
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 pm
Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm
Worth mentioning that Cult's FOX Newsesque take on Systemic Racism doesn't address let alone negate any of the bullet points presented in this thread proving it exists.
In your opinion
Please, proceed to show where it does.

The floor is yours. : )
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Look, a 26 page thread titled "Systemic Racism in America Exists" - Hmmmm? That might be interesting to consider the views of other people. Maybe I'll read it - who knows, maybe there will be some really good points and/or some thought provoking contributions on the topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading begins - Page 1. Opening post - Very first line:
Icarus wrote wrote:Why is the Right Wing media so invested in denying the reality of systemic racism?
Well, not a great start but maybe it will finish strong.
Page 1 Opening post - First paragraph:
Icarus wrote:They are willfully ignorant on the subject and refuse to understand what it actually means
Okay, maybe it will really finish strong.
Page 1 Opening post - Still in the first paragraph:
Icarus wrote:But when the majority of them swarm to support someone who brought back White Supremacism with a single speech, you can't really blame some of them for refusing to give most Republicans the benefit of the doubt.
Okay , I'm still kind of interested - Maybe I'll skip the entire OP and move to the second post in the thread.

Page 1. Second post
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 pm
The GOP platform comes down to hypocrisy, greed, and a massive dose of reality denial.

Could this be the OP's brother? I'll keep reading a little more.

Still on Page 1. Still on Post #2.

If they think Trump cares about them, of course they'll believe whatever they have to to deny systemic racism. They'll literally believe anything they have to in order to avoid looking at their nonsense seriously.

Yeah, I think it is the OP's brother. A little more reading (Getting really bored)

Still Page #1 - Still on post #2

I don't think much of the GOP base' ability to think or assess reality. They are whiny little bitches who thrive on scaring themselves with B.S..

Okay, that's enough reading for me!

A 26 page thread and I made it all the way through Page #1, Post #2. :)
If anybody gets farther than Page #1 and Post # 2, send me the foot notes concerning "Systemic Racism in America Exists" - Thanks in advance.
canpakes
God

Re:

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:17 pm
Look, a 26 page thread titled "Systemic Racism in America Exists" - Hmmmm? That might be interesting to consider the views of other people. Maybe I'll read it - who knows, maybe there will be some really good points and/or some thought provoking contributions on the topic.

If anybody gets farther … send me the foot notes concerning "Systemic Racism in America Exists" - Thanks in advance.
You stopped a little early. : ) Go back to the first post, skip the political posturing, and check out paragraphs 5 through 9 for a good historical perspective.
ceeboo
God

Re: Re:

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Culellus
Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:17 pm

If anybody gets farther than Page #1 and Post # 2, send me the foot notes concerning "Systemic Racism in America Exists" - Thanks in advance.
At some point someone connects this to scientific theory by asking if any of the thread participants actually saw their monkey uncle and monkey aunt do that thing like in Clan of the Cave Bear and then they had a human baby.
I don't know you well enough to be certain that you're kidding - So given that and considering the forum I am posting on, I am not 100% sure that you are, in fact, kidding. So I have to ask...... What page is this on? :lol:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm signed up for an online seminar sponsored by the ADL on Critical Race Theory. It's offered to explain the theory and how it is being exaggerated and distorted for political reasons. Anyone can register and listen. Here's the link: https://adl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN ... qcQ2qJqEqQ
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm
I'm signed up for an online seminar sponsored by the ADL on Critical Race Theory. It's offered to explain the theory and how it is being exaggerated and distorted for political reasons. Anyone can register and listen. Here's the link: https://adl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN ... qcQ2qJqEqQ
These are the two webinar speakers - Dr. Beverly Tatum and Dr. Marc Dollinger. I’m half way tempted to sign up for it because I’m generally curious what people ‘on the other side of “whiteness”’ define whiteness as. Is it an ethnicity? Do WASPs and Catholics and Mormons and Evangelicals and Muslim Turks and Iberians and Slavs and Jews and all their historical distrust and travails get wrapped up into a tidy category where the original sin of ‘whiteness’ gave them access to a better life?

I noticed Dr. Marc Dollinger talks about Jews leveraging their whiteness to achieve upward mobility within the white supremacy framework of society, but he’s careful to avoid Jewish complicity. He still manages to otherize Jews when in fact Jews have been very influential throughout history and these days dominate every aspect of the social, political, and economic orders. It’s akin to Mormons ruling the roost in the Morridor, or Catholics controlling the Northeast or Evangelicals/Southern Baptists owning the South. Let me tell ya something, your whiteness means exactly zero to those groups that control the hierarchy, it’s about your ethnicity and your connections within that ethnicity.

So, yeah. There’s a certain amount of boogeyman when it comes to white privilege and white supremacy, because the two-headed beast breaks down rather quickly when inter-ethnicity ladder jumping is attempted. BLM and the such wants me to acknowledge my privileges, but the privileges I “enjoyed” were trivial and nothing compared to the hierarchical families that dominate their respective regions. And gatekeeping isn’t just a WASP thing or a Jewish thing, it’s human thing. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, LGTBQs, and so on are all very territorial and ensure their own are given access to opportunity at the exclusion of others, yet the constant war drum is aimed squarely at whites. I suppose if the coalition of the oppressed keeps everyone’s focus on “whites” they don’t have to own their own prejudices, bigotry, exclusionary behaviors, and the such.

We’re in a tricky place right now, and I guess we’ll see how it plays out, but I don’t see a lot of honesty coming from the Left on this issue while they demand nothing but total compliance from the Right with regard to how the Left frames the narrative. It’s clear some within the Left want to keep the heat off themselves so they wring their hands as atonement and then throw shade to demonstrate how much they know and understand their own sins. It’s a weird ideological revolution that doesn’t end well. Perhaps that’s the ultimate goal.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Then again, maybe this is “white” privilege:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... _everyone/

That’s a whole lotta asshole, but do we assign whiteness to his behavior?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm
These are the two webinar speakers - Dr. Beverly Tatum and Dr. Marc Dollinger. I’m half way tempted to sign up for it because I’m generally curious what people ‘on the other side of “whiteness”’ define whiteness as. Is it an ethnicity? Do WASPs and Catholics and Mormons and Evangelicals and Muslim Turks and Iberians and Slavs and Jews and all their historical distrust and travails get wrapped up into a tidy category where the original sin of ‘whiteness’ gave them access to a better life?

I noticed Dr. Marc Dollinger talks about Jews leveraging their whiteness to achieve upward mobility within the white supremacy framework of society, but he’s careful to avoid Jewish complicity. He still manages to otherize Jews when in fact Jews have been very influential throughout history and these days dominate every aspect of the social, political, and economic orders. It’s akin to Mormons ruling the roost in the Morridor, or Catholics controlling the Northeast or Evangelicals/Southern Baptists owning the South. Let me tell ya something, your whiteness means exactly zero to those groups that control the hierarchy, it’s about your ethnicity and your connections within that ethnicity.

So, yeah. There’s a certain amount of boogeyman when it comes to white privilege and white supremacy, because the two-headed beast breaks down rather quickly when inter-ethnicity ladder jumping is attempted. BLM and the such wants me to acknowledge my privileges, but the privileges I “enjoyed” were trivial and nothing compared to the hierarchical families that dominate their respective regions. And gatekeeping isn’t just a WASP thing or a Jewish thing, it’s human thing. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, LGTBQs, and so on are all very territorial and ensure their own are given access to opportunity at the exclusion of others, yet the constant war drum is aimed squarely at whites. I suppose if the coalition of the oppressed keeps everyone’s focus on “whites” they don’t have to own their own prejudices, bigotry, exclusionary behaviors, and the such.

We’re in a tricky place right now, and I guess we’ll see how it plays out, but I don’t see a lot of honesty coming from the Left on this issue while they demand nothing but total compliance from the Right with regard to how the Left frames the narrative. It’s clear some within the Left want to keep the heat off themselves so they wring their hands as atonement and then throw shade to demonstrate how much they know and understand their own sins. It’s a weird ideological revolution that doesn’t end well. Perhaps that’s the ultimate goal.

- Doc
I’ve never heard whiteness described as an “original sin” as part of critical race theory. And the theory itself certainly has nothing to do with sin. It’s possible that one could find YouTube clips of folks spouting over the top rhetoric, but that has nothing to do with the theory itself.

Most of the discussion that I hear among regular folks about critical race theory is based on fairly significant distortions of what the theory says and why it says it. When the right seized on as the bogeyman of the day, it created a straw man of the theory, which is what 90% of the popular discussion is based on.

I don’t understand how most of what you said relates specifically to critical race theory. It’s familiar as part of your general critique of the left, but I don’t see the specific connection to critical race theory.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:22 pm
Then again, maybe this is “white” privilege:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... _everyone/

That’s a whole lotta asshole, but do we assign whiteness to his behavior?

- Doc
I don’t think that’s an example of privilege at all. It is an awesome example of being an asshole.
he/him