Systemic Racism in America Exists

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Icarus
Bishop

Re: Systemic Racism in America Exists

Post by Icarus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:47 am
Nope! You're wrong again. Here's a great video of Denzel Washington being interviewed
And Denzel says nothing to negate systemic racism. He was speaking to the exclusion of one particular character who thought he was being discriminated against and Washington's opinion was that he simply wasn't good enough, and that even his wife told him he was too old, so in that particular instance, in his opinion, it wasn't racism.
Atlanticmike wrote:
The interviewer keeps bringing up the past trying to get Denzel to bad mouth America and the progress we've made as a country. In the movie the dad is always telling the son that he can't achieve his dreams and to settle for a mediocre job.
Again, he says nothing to negate systemic racism. But one must wonder what you're going to do when you run out of black celebrities to use as your experts to discount American racism. There are only a few left, after all. At some point you'll need to address the dozen or so points of fact I raised, which you have ignored.
Atlanticmike wrote:
The difference between the way you and I see the race problems in America is you keep looking in the past and finding problems to throw around the necks of young black Americans.
No the difference is we acknowledge actual history and the systemic racism that is pervasive to this day. Just because black people don't have it as bad now as they did in 1957, (Denzel's point) doesn't mean there aren't systemic obstacles that make it difficult for black communities to achieve.
Atlanticmike wrote:
Look forward, don't look back, you can't change the past.
Your remark is racist because you think that is what black people think. They're not trying to change the past they're trying to change the present/'future. You cannot change the present or the future without an appropriate understanding of history, and the Trump administration proved this by giving rise to White Nationalists and encouragement to Republican legislators to pursue more Jim Crow laws via a massive campaign of ignorance.

You only see black people complaining about racism without trying to succeed at all on their own. That makes you a racist prick because nuance undermines your premise. It is why you gleefully misuse black people like Denzel Washington to say, "See racism doesn't exist because a black man became a millionaire in Hollywood!" You're a semi-literate moron who has to use videos on youtube because reading is hard. This argument is about as dumb as the "How'd we elect a black President in America if racism exists." The answer to that is that American racists who vote are outnumbered. But the system still exists for the black communities that are having difficulty getting homes. They don't even feel comfortable calling the police because every one of them has a bad experience with the police. Black store owners getting arrested for calling the cops during a burglary, for example. Or black people being shot on site after a family member called 911 to explain he had a mental disorder, etc.
Atlanticmike wrote:
I don't believe in burdening people with the past, it's useless and often causes people of any color or cultural back ground to stay in a state of mind that is self defeating.
Spoken like a true rube. History is never useless except to those who want to see it repeated.

Having said all that, I got the sense that Washington was uncomfortable and afraid to say anything about racism in Hollywood because there was no way for him to win with that. If he says no there isn't any racism, that's a safe play as he doesn't endanger career with future opportunities. If he says yes, then idiots like you will attack him in droves for being a hypocrite, since he's one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. Or, maybe it is that racism in Hollywood really is almost non-existent. That doesn't negate systemic racism in America at large. I'm inclined to believe racism in Hollywood is far less than it is elsewhere.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:05 am
It seems the racism in this country is so systemic, half the country can't even recognize it because they are so used to it being that way and are too lazy to question their own assumptions.

That's as systemic as it gets.
Nope! You're wrong again.
...he says, neglecting to actually back up his assertion.
Atlanticmike wrote:
The difference between the way you and I see the race problems in America is you keep looking in the past and finding problems to throw around the necks of young black Americans. Almost as if you don't want them to be free mentally. you're saying, look look look look black Americans!! See how bad it was in the past!
This is, again, the type of thing you post where I wonder, "Was this idea spawned from stupidity or ignorance?"

I don't know about anyone else, but I would never say, "look look look look black Americans!! See how bad it was in the past!" What I would say is that I recognize a lot of Americans have a screwed up view of race (like you) and that some of us realize that we can't solve our sins of the past without acknowledging them first. People who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. Like Icarus suggested, it sounds like repeating history is what you want.
Atlanticmike wrote:
While I keep saying, look look look look black Americans!! Look forward, don't look back, you can't change the past. I don't believe in burdening people with the past, it's useless and often causes people of any color or cultural back ground to stay in a state of mind that is self defeating.
It doesn't surprise me that would be your strategy. We certainly wouldn't want to burden white people with their past, would we? Why bother to understand how we got here? Makes it easier to absolve your own static, counterproductive attitude. The irony here is obvious. You think ignoring the past will change the future. damned dumb.

Since people like you are easily distracted like a cat following a laser pointer dot, you figure everyone else must be easily distracted too. Unfortunately for people like you, others can actually focus and acknowledge our history without relying on others to do their thinking for them.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

Nope! You're wrong again.
...he says, neglecting to actually back up his assertion.
Atlanticmike wrote:
The difference between the way you and I see the race problems in America is you keep looking in the past and finding problems to throw around the necks of young black Americans. Almost as if you don't want them to be free mentally. you're saying, look look look look black Americans!! See how bad it was in the past!
This is, again, the type of thing you post where I wonder, "Was this idea spawned from stupidity or ignorance?"

I don't know about anyone else, but I would never say, "look look look look black Americans!! See how bad it was in the past!" What I would say is that I recognize a lot of Americans have a screwed up view of race (like you) and that some of us realize that we can't solve our sins of the past without acknowledging them first. People who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. Like Icarus suggested, it sounds like repeating history is what you want.
Atlanticmike wrote:
While I keep saying, look look look look black Americans!! Look forward, don't look back, you can't change the past. I don't believe in burdening people with the past, it's useless and often causes people of any color or cultural back ground to stay in a state of mind that is self defeating.
It doesn't surprise me that would be your strategy. We certainly wouldn't want to burden white people with their past, would we? Why bother to understand how we got here? Makes it easier to absolve your own static, counterproductive attitude. The irony here is obvious. You think ignoring the past will change the future. stupid dumb.

Since people like you are easily distracted like a cat following a laser pointer dot, you figure everyone else must be easily distracted too. Unfortunately for people like you, others can actually focus and acknowledge our history without relying on others to do their thinking for them.
The Democratic party can't leave the African Americans alone, you guys are obsessed with trying to hold them down, always looking into the past. This man explains it perfectly by using a Booker T Washington quote.

https://youtu.be/KPG5Mda-9c0

https://youtu.be/Cv00hGUYYbY

https://youtu.be/GbSPfbLvW-w

Schmo, critical race theory is a branch of critical theory, a theory that came from a bunch of WHITE Germans. And now a certain political party is trying to use a white man's theory to indoctrinate our kids and SEPARATE us once again by claiming some are oppressors while others are the oppressed. It's racism pure and simple bro.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm
The Democratic party can't leave the African Americans alone, you guys are obsessed with trying to hold them down, always looking into the past.
There you go again, spouting nonsense. The GOP wants to hold them down, pretty much with a knee to the neck. Otherwise, they wouldn't knee-jerk react like morons every time someone suggests we have an inequitable system.

I suspect racist white people simply fear not having the advantages they've always had in this country. Their motivations aren't that complex. They can't be, because racists are morons.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:20 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
The Democratic party can't leave the African Americans alone, you guys are obsessed with trying to hold them down, always looking into the past.
There you go again, spouting nonsense. The GOP wants to hold them down, pretty much with a knee to the neck. Otherwise, they wouldn't knee-jerk react like morons every time someone suggests we have an inequitable system.

I suspect racist white people simply fear not having the advantages they've always had in this country. Their motivations aren't that complex. They can't be, because racists are morons.
Malcom X explains it perfectly what a liberal is. The video below is just a snippet, if you've never seen Malcom X being interviewed it's worth watching a few. In the video below he explains that the white liberal is the most dangerous thing in the entire Western Hemisphere. And it's true!!!! He explains how the white liberal is like a fox, he also says the conservative is like a wolf if you find the entire interview. Until you start realizing you progressives are the main problem, racial issues are going to stay unresolved and if they do get better, it's going to be at a snail's pace because you're holding back real racial justice and healing.

https://youtu.be/jYcxvnh4YtM
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:52 pm
:: blargh!! ::

Hey, Atlanticmike - when did systemic racism go away?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Interesting that this is most often said by folks proudly flying a Confederate flag from their house.

“Racism, pure and simple, bro…”
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Interesting that this is most often said by folks proudly flying a Confederate flag from their house.

“Racism, pure and simple, bro…”
Good Lord, you must be from Utah. I live on the east coast and know a ton of people who fly the Confederate flag. And yes conservatives fly it, but most of the guys who fly it are life long Democrats because their family have been voting for Democrats for generations.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

You progressives have no idea what to do with your "guilt" you try your hardest to make sure everyone thinks just like you. And anyone who doesn't is automatically a racist or an idiot. The man in the video below is a free thinker, he hasn't been corrupted by progressive politics. There are many African Americans who grew up loving their heritage. STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE INTO WHAT YOU THINK THEY NEED TO BE. Figure out what you need to do with your white hatred and guilt, your destroying one of the best countries in the world.

https://youtu.be/BUw_P6w8Rdw

https://youtu.be/FOQj10U9eSk
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:32 pm
You progressives have no idea what to do with your "guilt" you try your hardest to make sure everyone thinks just like you. And anyone who doesn't is automatically a racist or an idiot.
So, apparently, a "progressive" is anyone who disagrees with Atlanticmike. It doesn't matter if you tell him you aren't a progressive, or say things that show you aren't a progressive. He wants to box people up in an easy to understand label because it assists in his quest to never damned think.

I'm not trying to make everyone think like me. It would just be nice if people weren't so insistent on a BS world view. I'd like you to think anything you want as long as your opinions are based on actual facts, not the nonsensical damned talking heads you parrot.
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:32 pm
Figure out what you need to do with your white hatred and guilt, your destroying one of the best countries in the world.
I don't hate white people, although I do hate that a lot of white people seem to think they're superior to every other race (which, ironically, makes them inferior). I don't feel guilty about white heritage, but I am critical of those who think white people aren't responsible for our current racist laws.

I'm not destroying anything. I'm trying to save democracy from assholes who refuse to acknowledge simple facts, although I recognize it's a mostly futile effort, because they're assholes who refuse to acknowledge simple facts.