Systemic Racism in America Exists

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Icarus
Bishop

Re: Systemic Racism in America Exists

Post by Icarus »

Icarus wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 pm
Democrats hold down the black people? Keep asserting with no evidence, but if that's true then why is it they're always much better off during Democrat administrations? Black unemployment skyrocketed during the last three Republican Presidents and plummeted significantly when Clinton, Obama and now Biden have taken office.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000031
Bump.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

There are folks still alive today who had to deal with this when trying to buy a house back in their younger years:

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

“In 1957, the Myers family was the first black family to penetrate Levittown’s homogeneity. Since the Myers bought their house from the previous owner rather than through Levitt himself or a real estate agent, they were able to avoid Levitt’s anti-black policies. The Myers’ were met with continuous mob violence and death threats.”

Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Icarus wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:55 pm
Icarus wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 pm
Democrats hold down the black people? Keep asserting with no evidence, but if that's true then why is it they're always much better off during Democrat administrations? Black unemployment skyrocketed during the last three Republican Presidents and plummeted significantly when Clinton, Obama and now Biden have taken office.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000031
Bump.
Bump
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Good, short read on government housing and development policies that promoted systemic racism.

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665583 ... ed-america

It’s a good thing that some folks are willing to acknowledge where we’ve been. It’s the only way to know if where we’re going is the best path.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 am
What woke progressives have in common with racist.

https://youtu.be/Ev373c7wSRg
I don't know, this starts out with two guys dressed the same with labels, racist, progressive and the both say everything should be seen through the lens of race. Problem I see is I do not know anybody who thinks that. No progressives, racists, white sox fans, marxists, transgender communities, democrats, or republicans think this.

hockey fans, baseball players, trout fisherman, truck drivers , airline pilots,insurance salesmen,builders, hod carriers, teachers ,football coaches, cooks, chefs, waitress. and on
People do not see everything through the lens of race.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:43 am
Problem I see is I do not know anybody who thinks that.
It seems like folks who put up videos like that are far more invested in setting up a straw man to knock down, given that they can’t grasp or coherently discuss the actual issue at hand.

Perhaps Atlanticmike thinks that he has stumbled across some sort of new approach to debating disingenuously. I don’t think he realizes that most of the folks on this board have already seen and dispatched this sort of crap many times prior.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:54 pm
When did systemic racism disappear in America?

Huh.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:45 pm
On the other hand you have years to go to catch up with time LDSfaqs spent here making conservative posts and youtube links while ignoring insults and returning insults.
Too many faqs to see the smokey.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:45 pm
I've never said racism doesn't exist, it's always existed in America, it exists worldwide, there's not one country that doesn't deal with racism in one form or another. My children look Asian, not white, I've raised them to understand how some people can be total jerks by just basing first impressions off of skin color. But believing that America and the institutions that are part of this country are inherently racist (is more than dangerous) …
Why? And dangerous to whom, exactly, for what reason?

I posted an example above of systemic racism in housing and zoning/development policy that has severely reduced the ability of blacks to have accumulated the same sort of generational wealth through home ownership than their white peers have enjoyed over the last century or more. Thankfully most - if not all - of these policies have been adjusted or eliminated, but there remain afteraffects, such as how black neighborhoods were divided or separated from connecting neighborhoods or more economically stable areas when homes were demolished and expressways run through them … with local officials sometimes openly declaring their intent to cordon off those neighborhoods. Residents still suffer the financial, educational and economic repercussions of that today (consider tax policy for funding schools). To move away from discussion within ‘critical race theory’ or anything the 1619 project has to say about that, examples exposing this policy were presented decades ago within books like The Power Broker (NYC) … an excellent read, if one has the time for it.

… and we need to fundamentally change everything about how it was founded is more than dangerous.
That’s a straw man. Folks approaching this discussion on realistic grounds aren’t trying to ‘fundamentally change’ anything. They do want the playing field leveled, yes. They do want the chance to teach more about their heritage and the role of their ancestors in this country’s history, yes. They do want to feel more pride for who they are rather than merely the leftovers of a slave era, yes. To that last point, what they aim for is the opposite of what your straw man claims.

Will you find some folks off in the deep end ranting about how bad white dudes are because of the history of slavery? Sure. Just as you’d find random white dudes who believe that all Democrats are involved in a child sex slave scheme run out of the basement of a pizza parlor that doesn’t have a basement, and that they must storm the Capitol to overturn an election because a con man wearing an excess of bronzer keeps ranting on at ‘rallies’ about a ridiculous lie about massively fraudulent elections. Let’s face it - any political side has its crazy cohort.

So I would like to talk more about this so answer a question for me please. Why are there no caravans or large groups of American citizens leaving America to live in another country? Why are there people traveling 1000s of miles to get here? ... Why??
Because America is filled with opportunity. It has always represented that. But that opportunity has not been the same for all groups, and some folks in this country are descended from people who never ‘immigrated’ here by their own choice.

Recognizing that the United States is a land of (arguably) unparalleled opportunity does not preclude the existence of systemic racism that was literally baked into our founding documents, early court decisions, and society … for hundreds of years. But recognizing that we can always want to do better is to stand up for a vision of America that you supposedly want to advertise.
Last edited by canpakes on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.