Life After The Oil Crash.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ray A

Life After The Oil Crash.

Post by _Ray A »

According to this article, our future is in doubt: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

In October 2005, the normally conservative London Times acknowledged that the world's wealth may soon evaporate as we enter a technological and economic "Dark Age." In an article entitled "Waiting for the Lights to Go Out" Times columnist Bryan Appleyard reported:

Oil is running out; the climate is changing at a potentially catastrophic rate; wars over scarce resources are brewing; finally, most shocking of all, we don't seem to be having enough ideas about how to fix any of these things.

Almost daily, new evidence is emerging that progress can no longer be taken for granted, that a new Dark Age is lying in wait for ourselves and our children . . . growth may be coming to an end. Since our entire financial order from interest rates, pension funds, insurance, to stock markets is predicated on growth, the social and economic consequences may be cataclysmic.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

I think the solution with be Nuclear power. Whether through the bomb or through generating electricity, I suspect that's what's gonna happen when oil prices continue to rise.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

I think the government are playing us for fools and clearly it is working. The economy is suffering and what better way to earn money than to increase taxes and costs on something we pressume is going to run out in the neer future when the government has plenty of oil that we don't even know exists. Well why not start using all these infinate resources that are out there? Because tax inflation gives the government more money and more power. DAW. And if humans are so dumb not to realise what really is going on then whose fault is it but their own? By the government I do NOT mean Bush and Blair and all their cronies.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

asbestosman wrote:I think the solution with be Nuclear power. Whether through the bomb or through generating electricity, I suspect that's what's gonna happen when oil prices continue to rise.

My brother sent this link to me, and I'm looking for some replies. I'm not favourable to the Doomsday scenario. I think we'll just have to find other ways rather than depending on oil. Humans are usually resourceful, and usually find ways to overcome potential "cataclysmic" events. Electric cars have long been in existence, yet no one has utilised this. Oil profiteering seems to be the main barrier.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Ray A wrote:My brother sent this link to me, and I'm looking for some replies. I'm not favourable to the Doomsday scenario. I think we'll just have to find other ways rather than depending on oil. Humans are usually resourceful, and usually find ways to overcome potential "cataclysmic" events. Electric cars have long been in existence, yet no one has utilised this. Oil profiteering seems to be the main barrier.

Oil is a cheap energy source. When it runs out, we will find other cheap energy sources. I think nuclear power is a viable option for generating electricity. Unfortunately it is quite unpopular becuase of public fear of meltdowns and also because of the requirement to store nuclear waste. Personally I think both fears can be overcome when compared with the alternative of having the entire economy collapse.

On the other hand, I suspect much disruption in the transition. I also fear that the disruption may be the feather the tips the scales towards war in various volitile situations: Middle east, N. Korea, etc.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I think a preemptive attack on Chad is the only solution.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo