Worst. Christmas. Song. Ever.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Worst. Christmas. Song. Ever.

Post by _Runtu »

One year when I was at BYU, I was working in the Wilkinson Center cleaning floors. During the Christmas break, I worked about 14-16 hours a day refinishing the floors in the Cougareat and thereabouts. All day long they piped in Christmas music, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. It turns out that there is fairly limited number of Christmas songs, so what you get are different renditions of the same songs over and over. By Christmas Eve I was so tired of Christmas songs that I refused to listen to anymore on the trip home for Christmas.

I was thinking about my least favorite Christmas songs. There's a lot to choose from, "Calypso Christmas" to "Merry Christmas, Darling" and on and on. But for me, the hands-down winner of the absolute worst is Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime." Bad keyboards, cheesy lyrics, and a totally forgettable tune add up to one giant ball of Christmas goo. Here it is in its craptacular glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpgVhMWfvk

What Christmas songs do you loathe?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I personally hate Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer. It was funny the first couple of times I heard it, way back in 1980 or so, but c'mon, after a thousand times or so, IT AIN'T FUNNY ANYMORE!!

Why can't radio stations figure out that things actually get LESS funny the more people hear them, not the reverse??
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Dr. Shades wrote:I personally hate Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer. It was funny the first couple of times I heard it, way back in 1980 or so, but c'mon, after a thousand times or so, IT AIN'T FUNNY ANYMORE!!

Why can't radio stations figure out that things actually get LESS funny the more people hear them, not the reverse??

Agreed. But at least it was supposed to be funny. I really despise the "novelty" Christmas songs (Rudolph, Frosty, etc.).

Another awful one is "Christmas Shoes.". Blech.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Runtu wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:I personally hate Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer. It was funny the first couple of times I heard it, way back in 1980 or so, but c'mon, after a thousand times or so, IT AIN'T FUNNY ANYMORE!!

Agreed. But at least it was supposed to be funny. I really despise the "novelty" Christmas songs (Rudolph, Frosty, etc.).

I can't stand "Christmas Shoes", either, but my wife loves it, so I have to listen.

... sigh ...

It sounds like a con job to me. The boy gets some stranger to pay for his purchase then runs out of the store.
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

ozemc wrote:
Runtu wrote:

I can't stand "Christmas Shoes", either, but my wife loves it, so I have to listen.

... sigh ...

It sounds like a con job to me. The boy gets some stranger to pay for his purchase then runs out of the store.

I hate Hate HATE HATE!!! the Christmas Shoes song. My husband laughs anytime it comes on and I clench my jaw in disgust.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

skippy the dead wrote:
ozemc wrote:
Runtu wrote:

... sigh ...

I hate Hate HATE HATE!!! the Christmas Shoes song. My husband laughs anytime it comes on and I clench my jaw in disgust.

Yup, it is terrible!!! GAG!!! The whole time it is on, I just feel like someone is trying to manipulate me.