The Pirate Investigation

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

It can. I am NOT a fraud!
Just punched myself on the face...
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The Pirate Investigation

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The Nehor wrote:To entertain myself I have been trying to figure out who Pirate is.

Despite claiming to be in Scotland in her(?) blog she claims to have seen the stars clearly tonight.....despite the overcast weather there all night.

She also claims to be 19 and in a Physics course. I also happen to know some things about British education. Unless this course was outside any curriculum and was an independent course (unlikely to be Physics) she should be in University at this age. Unless she has remarkable connections I find it unlikely that anyone with the grammar we saw could get into a University. There aren't many Universities there that will take anyone who has money like there are here.

I think his/her current place of residence is a fabrication. Whether the rest is I don't know. I do think they are a critic. Other than that, investigation is ongoing. Note that I hold no malice towards the poster. This is a game to me and it's kept me entertained. Having used a sockpuppet myself I can hardly pass judgment. Just having fun.

To Scratch: I can see why you enjoy doing things like this now.
I don't think what you're doing is "fun", though it may be to you. She isn't a sock puppet. She is exactly who she said she is, exactly where she says she is and doing exactly what she says she is doing academically. Her posts are no more or less valuable than yours are, Nehor. She's not a game.

Knock it off.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Thanks Jersey Girl.
Just punched myself on the face...
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Jersey Girl wrote:
The Nehor wrote:To entertain myself I have been trying to figure out who Pirate is.

Despite claiming to be in Scotland in her(?) blog she claims to have seen the stars clearly tonight.....despite the overcast weather there all night.

She also claims to be 19 and in a Physics course. I also happen to know some things about British education. Unless this course was outside any curriculum and was an independent course (unlikely to be Physics) she should be in University at this age. Unless she has remarkable connections I find it unlikely that anyone with the grammar we saw could get into a University. There aren't many Universities there that will take anyone who has money like there are here.

I think his/her current place of residence is a fabrication. Whether the rest is I don't know. I do think they are a critic. Other than that, investigation is ongoing. Note that I hold no malice towards the poster. This is a game to me and it's kept me entertained. Having used a sockpuppet myself I can hardly pass judgment. Just having fun.

To Scratch: I can see why you enjoy doing things like this now.
I don't think what you're doing is "fun", though it may be to you. She isn't a sock puppet. She is exactly who she said she is, exactly where she says she is and doing exactly what she says she is doing academically. Her posts are no more or less valuable than yours are, Nehor. She's not a game.

Knock it off.
Never heard you tell Scratch that.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The Nehor wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote: I don't think what you're doing is "fun", though it may be to you. She isn't a sock puppet. She is exactly who she said she is, exactly where she says she is and doing exactly what she says she is doing academically. Her posts are no more or less valuable than yours are, Nehor. She's not a game.

Knock it off.
Never heard you tell Scratch that.
Then you clearly haven't been reading the board or my posts to him.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Nehor wrote:Never heard you tell Scratch that.
Then you must have been on hiatus from the board at the time.

Jersey Girl is constantly telling Scratch to knock it off when he pulls this kind of crap.

;)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

LOL!

Just saw your post, Jersey Girl!

Great minds!

;)
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I agree with Jersey, Nehor, and it doesn't matter what anyone has said to Scratch about his posts: your "investigation" is not about an issue related to Mormonism or Mormon apologetics but is merely a badgering of one poster over her "identity." In this regard, your investigation more resembles the work of crockett than Mr. Scracth. None of her "claims" that you are allegedly "refuting" or casting doubts upon make any difference to any discussions here, nor do they hurt anyone.

Besides that, some of your so-called "expertise" in British and Scottish culture is laughable. Peckish is hardly dated, I've heard all of my British and Scottish relatives use the term recently, my husband who was raised in Britain said it this morning, and I'm pretty sure I could find current uses of it in print.

Nor is beans on toast a mere stereotype: maybe you didn't eat it on your mission, but again I have to say that everyone I currently know who lives in Great Britain (a good 25 or so all over the "Kingdom") still snacks on it as does my husband. Blond jokes are fairly universal by now (see contemporary film and popular culture from around the globe), and this statement: "There aren't many Universities there that will take anyone who has money like there are here" seems at odds with someone who knows how the British system of higher education works. "Tuition" is an utterly irrelevant point of comparison since access to education in Great Britain is not as entirely dependent on individual payment as it is here. In fact one could argue that advanced education more accessible nearly everywhere on the planet than it is in the U.S.

Phonetic spelling of Scottish dialect also varies, as well as there being several kinds of dialect dependent on geography and class. You might compare and contrast the use of dialect in such diverse writers as: Janice Galloway, Irvine Welsh, Iain Banks, Ian Rankin, Alan Warner, Suhayl Saadi, A. L. Kennedy, Paul Reekie, Duncan McLean, Laura Hird, Ali Smith, Denise Mina and Jackie Kay.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Pirate, IMHO = In My Honest Opinion. I don't think it's wise to tell everyone where you live, where you go to university, your complete name with family history, or all the other personal information you are divulging. I would advise you to not try to prove who you are to posters that demand proof.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Its tough being Inspector Nehor......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yacFkXt82YM
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato