The Pirate Investigation

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Moniker wrote:Pirate, IMHO = In My Honest Opinion. I don't think it's wise to tell everyone where you live, where you go to university, your complete name with family history, or all the other personal information you are divulging. I would advise you to not try to prove who you are to posters that demand proof.
I said I lived in England from Scotland. Nehor guessed my university from the header of the letter I posted. I had covered all the names and information. I did not know he has a past with the university. And the stuff in my blog is irrelevent because the only place that my real name is used is on my birth certificate and some things for university. Hull is a big place also. My family don't live here and nothing about me is here except university.

PW
Just punched myself on the face...
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Don't be discouraged Inspector Nehor. If this seems a tough nut to crack, simply enlist the help of a bigger squirrel.
Peckish is hardly dated, I've heard all of my British and Scottish relatives use the term recently, my husband who was raised in Britain said it this morning...
Was he looking in anyone's particular direction when he said this? ;-)
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Peckish means you are slightly hungry and/or feel like something to eat.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:Peckish means you are slightly hungry and/or feel like something to eat.
So in The Music Man, Peck-a-little, Pick-a-little, could have simply referred to having a nosh?

More clues for Inspector Nehor!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Blixa wrote:I agree with Jersey, Nehor, and it doesn't matter what anyone has said to Scratch about his posts: your "investigation" is not about an issue related to Mormonism or Mormon apologetics but is merely a badgering of one poster over her "identity." In this regard, your investigation more resembles the work of crockett than Mr. Scracth. None of her "claims" that you are allegedly "refuting" or casting doubts upon make any difference to any discussions here, nor do they hurt anyone.

Besides that, some of your so-called "expertise" in British and Scottish culture is laughable. Peckish is hardly dated, I've heard all of my British and Scottish relatives use the term recently, my husband who was raised in Britain said it this morning, and I'm pretty sure I could find current uses of it in print.

Nor is beans on toast a mere stereotype: maybe you didn't eat it on your mission, but again I have to say that everyone I currently know who lives in Great Britain (a good 25 or so all over the "Kingdom") still snacks on it as does my husband. Blond jokes are fairly universal by now (see contemporary film and popular culture from around the globe), and this statement: "There aren't many Universities there that will take anyone who has money like there are here" seems at odds with someone who knows how the British system of higher education works. "Tuition" is an utterly irrelevant point of comparison since access to education in Great Britain is not as entirely dependent on individual payment as it is here. In fact one could argue that advanced education more accessible nearly everywhere on the planet than it is in the U.S.

Phonetic spelling of Scottish dialect also varies, as well as there being several kinds of dialect dependent on geography and class. You might compare and contrast the use of dialect in such diverse writers as: Janice Galloway, Irvine Welsh, Iain Banks, Ian Rankin, Alan Warner, Suhayl Saadi, A. L. Kennedy, Paul Reekie, Duncan McLean, Laura Hird, Ali Smith, Denise Mina and Jackie Kay.
I heard peckish a lot too. It was uniformly used by those in their 30's and older while I was there. Never heard a teen use it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gazelam wrote:Its tough being Inspector Nehor......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yacFkXt82YM
I tried to call in Inspector Gadget but he is currently involved in preventing the Iranians from getting enriched uranium from Dr. Claw.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:
Blixa wrote:I agree with Jersey, Nehor, and it doesn't matter what anyone has said to Scratch about his posts: your "investigation" is not about an issue related to Mormonism or Mormon apologetics but is merely a badgering of one poster over her "identity." In this regard, your investigation more resembles the work of crockett than Mr. Scracth. None of her "claims" that you are allegedly "refuting" or casting doubts upon make any difference to any discussions here, nor do they hurt anyone.

Besides that, some of your so-called "expertise" in British and Scottish culture is laughable. Peckish is hardly dated, I've heard all of my British and Scottish relatives use the term recently, my husband who was raised in Britain said it this morning, and I'm pretty sure I could find current uses of it in print.

Nor is beans on toast a mere stereotype: maybe you didn't eat it on your mission, but again I have to say that everyone I currently know who lives in Great Britain (a good 25 or so all over the "Kingdom") still snacks on it as does my husband. Blond jokes are fairly universal by now (see contemporary film and popular culture from around the globe), and this statement: "There aren't many Universities there that will take anyone who has money like there are here" seems at odds with someone who knows how the British system of higher education works. "Tuition" is an utterly irrelevant point of comparison since access to education in Great Britain is not as entirely dependent on individual payment as it is here. In fact one could argue that advanced education more accessible nearly everywhere on the planet than it is in the U.S.

Phonetic spelling of Scottish dialect also varies, as well as there being several kinds of dialect dependent on geography and class. You might compare and contrast the use of dialect in such diverse writers as: Janice Galloway, Irvine Welsh, Iain Banks, Ian Rankin, Alan Warner, Suhayl Saadi, A. L. Kennedy, Paul Reekie, Duncan McLean, Laura Hird, Ali Smith, Denise Mina and Jackie Kay.
I heard peckish a lot too. It was uniformly used by those in their 30's and older while I was there. Never heard a teen use it.
I stole it from a friend. :P
_Abinadi's Fire
_Emeritus

Post by _Abinadi's Fire »

When Scratch does this sort of thing to people, Scratch gives a reason - to expose hypocrisy.

The way you are doing this comes across as mean-spirited for no particular reason, Nehor. It doesn't make you look cool or funny or whatever you are going for. It makes you look sadistic.

You're a better guy than this.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Abinadi's Fire wrote:The way you are doing this comes across as mean-spirited for no particular reason, Nehor. It doesn't make you look cool or funny or whatever you are going for. It makes you look sadistic.
It's not sadism....more apathy.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:
Abinadi's Fire wrote:The way you are doing this comes across as mean-spirited for no particular reason, Nehor. It doesn't make you look cool or funny or whatever you are going for. It makes you look sadistic.
It's not sadism....more apathy.
More like Nehor needs to get a life.