Something for Dr. Steuss

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Something for Dr. Steuss

Post by _Blixa »

Hey, Steuss...everytime I read a reference to Athanasius Kircher (and I run across his name a lot in the inter webs) I think, "Here's someone Steuss would like." Do you know this master eclectic oddity? If not, Google forthwith and speedily!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

I just have to comment that your intellectual romance with Steuss is very cute to watch.

LOL
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

liz3564 wrote:I just have to comment that your intellectual romance with Steuss is very cute to watch.

LOL

Can such a romance lead to a melding of the minds?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Something for Dr. Steuss

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Hey, Steuss...everytime I read a reference to Athanasius Kircher (and I run across his name a lot in the inter webs) I think, "Here's someone Steuss would like." Do you know this master eclectic oddity? If not, Google forthwith and speedily!

I’ve never heard of him (until now… thank you super-duper mucho, and stuff).

This may sound strange, but I mostly want a book of his illustrations. What a groovy dude! Sometimes these type of people make me sick… especially when I’m struggling with such things as how to properly construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. “Renaissance” men (and/or women) always fill me with a ping of jealousy as well as admiration. To be a master of so many subjects while the majority of us are forced to row our boat of mediocrity not-so-merrily down the stream doesn’t seem fair.

*sigh*

-----

Side note question: Have you ever read any of Henry Rollins stuff?
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Blixa wrote:Hey, Steuss...everytime I read a reference to Athanasius Kircher (and I run across his name a lot in the inter webs) I think, "Here's someone Steuss would like." Do you know this master eclectic oddity? If not, Google forthwith and speedily!

I’ve never heard of him (until now… thank you super-duper mucho, and stuff).

This may sound strange, but I mostly want a book of his illustrations. What a groovy dude! Sometimes these type of people make me sick… especially when I’m struggling with such things as how to properly construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. “Renaissance” men (and/or women) always fill me with a ping of jealousy as well as admiration. To be a master of so many subjects while the majority of us are forced to row our boat of mediocrity not-so-merrily down the stream doesn’t seem fair.

*sigh*

-----

Yes, but years ago. I'm not much a Henry fan. I've had countless chit chat conversations with him, too, again years ago at various Black Flag gigs. I've seen Black Flag more than any other band, and I didn't even like them much, its just that they toured relentlessly. I saw them all over the United States too---I was almost always going to see the other bands on the bill.

I actually saw two pre-Henry versions of BF and distinctly remember when he came on board: a skinny long haired dude on a total Jim Morrison trip. Quite different from today's Rollins in every way.

I think I have a good handle on his schtick---I've watched his TV film show several times so I don't think he's developed any new insights recently---and I find it very politically confused. I don't mean in terms of Dem/Republican "local" politics, but how he understands "power" more broadly. Also there is something so repellently masculinist (a term I hardly ever use) about his whole "authencity" deal....I'm probably rambling.

On the other hand, my friend Mark Simpson (the gay British journalist who coined the term "metrosexual" much to his everlasting embarrassment), simply loves him. We argue over his latent sexuality all the time: Mark claims he's straight, I, on the other hand, suspect otherwise. I know I'm in the minority, but still...all that bench pressing...

by the way did you see Kircher's cat piano? Did you find the website of the Athanasius Kircher Society? They've held some very fun/funny symposiums here in NYC. I should go sometime...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Looks like the Kircher Society's webpage is down. Here's one of Kircher's greatest inventions---the cat piano!
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I love the cat piano. I wonder what the mechanism is that prompts specific cats to meow when corresponding keys are pressed. I hope it's not to painful (i.e. tail pulling or anal probe or something).
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Yes, but years ago. I'm not much a Henry fan. I've had countless chit chat conversations with him, too, again years ago at various Black Flag gigs. I've seen Black Flag more than any other band, and I didn't even like them much, its just that they toured relentlessly. I saw them all over the United States too---I was almost always going to see the other bands on the bill.

I actually saw two pre-Henry versions of BF and distinctly remember when he came on board: a skinny long haired dude on a total Jim Morrison trip. Quite different from today's Rollins in every way.

I think I have a good handle on his schtick---I've watched his TV film show several times so I don't think he's developed any new insights recently---and I find it very politically confused. I don't mean in terms of Dem/Republican "local" politics, but how he understands "power" more broadly. Also there is something so repellently masculinist (a term I hardly ever use) about his whole "authencity" deal....I'm probably rambling.

I was only recently introduced to his work. A gal that I was dating a couple of months back stumbled across one of my notebooks, and after perusing it decided she needed to buy me a Henry book (“The Portable Henry Rollins”). I’m only about 70 pages in thus far. I’m not sure what to make of it. Some of the wit is fantastic, and I really love some of his imagery. But, on the same side, he seems to be the quintessential pubescent boy gaining satisfaction from utterances of c**k, f**k and similar terms that have little value (in my opinion) beyond their shock and adolescent jubilatory elicitations.

A lot of it does match some of my inner-workings though… so I’m not quite sure how I feel about that. Some of them are almost identical to my writings from about two years ago (there was a period when I would go to bars alone with my notebook, free the voices with a little alcohol, and transform myself into the creepy man in the corner… drinking alone, and exhibiting the occasional wry grin of self-pleasure due to the results of my most recent mental enema) <--this gets the award for the longest run-on parenthetical statement.

On the other hand, my friend Mark Simpson (the gay British journalist who coined the term "metrosexual" much to his everlasting embarrassment), simply loves him. We argue over his latent sexuality all the time: Mark claims he's straight, I, on the other hand, suspect otherwise. I know I'm in the minority, but still...all that bench pressing...

I believe the entire cosmos found company within my soul as I drew in the air required for the sigh I just let out. I hope you one day consider writing a memoir. You have known (and continue to know) so many amazing people. So many people that have carved a small niche within history (and/or pop culture).

by the way did you see Kircher's cat piano? Did you find the website of the Athanasius Kircher Society? They've held some very fun/funny symposiums here in NYC. I should go sometime...

My friend lives in NYC (at the Hotel Chelsea [sp?]). I really need to get up there and visit him (and see New York) soon as the Hotel has come under new management and they’re trying to kick all of the artists/musicians/etc. out.

Capitalism really sucks sometimes.

Blixa wrote:Looks like the Kircher Society's webpage is down. Here's one of Kircher's greatest inventions---the cat piano!
<snip pic>

Brilliant!

------------------

silentkid wrote:[...] or anal probe [...]

I hope someone invents a Steuss piano.

Er, I mean… never mind.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Pure Genius!

His letter to Ann "adams apple" Coulter is priceless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7MR5_v47w
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Ah the Chelsea! I admit to still idolizing that landmark. I haven't been there in a while---the last time would have been not too long after 9/11 because I remember talking to the people I was with about how you could still smell it down in Chinatown.

Anyway, Steuss you should come for a visit before I move west...hopefully about a year from now...