Panned WAV files?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Panned WAV files?

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Hi there, Do any of you know how to take two WAV files and put them together as one? I produced some music and when it came to converting it into WAV, I rushed as i was leaving to come here and so the panned effect has become two seperate files intead of the one. They both sound good seperate but they would sound even better togather. SO I have a left inst and a right inst and it should just be an instumental.

I hope one of you know how to do this.

Regards,

Pirate.
Just punched myself on the face...
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Panned WAV files?

Post by _silentkid »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:Hi there, Do any of you know how to take two WAV files and put them together as one? I produced some music and when it came to converting it into WAV, I rushed as I was leaving to come here and so the panned effect has become two seperate files intead of the one. They both sound good seperate but they would sound even better togather. SO I have a left inst and a right inst and it should just be an instumental.

I hope one of you know how to do this.

Regards,

Pirate.

I'm not quite sure I understand the situation. What recording software are you using? In most software packages there is a knob that you can turn left to right to pan your tracks. If you leave the knob in the "0" position (usually the top) for both tracks, they should overlap each other without any panned effect. Then, when you export the tracks as a .wav file, it should sound like a mono recording.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

I did it in a recording studio. I do not know what software was used. I want the panning effect because it is a stereo track. The drums in the song are panned and the acoustic. The keyboard was stereo but the keys didn't match my bass at the end so we changed that but didn't have two leads to make it stereo again. Whe it was bounced it was supposed to convert it into a wav file with the two in one but instead made two seperate files. Setting it to zero would not give the effect I wanted.

P
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:I did it in a recording studio. I do not know what software was used. I want the panning effect because it is a stereo track. The drums in the song are panned and the acoustic. The keyboard was stereo but the keys didn't match my bass at the end so we changed that but didn't have two leads to make it stereo again. Whe it was bounced it was supposed to convert it into a wav file with the two in one but instead made two seperate files. Setting it to zero would not give the effect I wanted.

P

OK. I misunderstood. I thought you were going for a mono sound. So, you re-recorded the keyboard part which was previously in stereo, but now it's a mono track (didn't have two leads). I assume you re-mixed the keyboard part back into the song file with the rest of the audio tracks (drums, acoustic, bass). At that point, did you pan the keyboard track to it's appropriate place in the mix? I'm not sure why bouncing it would create two separate .wav files, unless the files you are looking at refer to the left channel and the right channel of the final stereo mix. If that's the case, try hard panning one all the way left and the other all the way right. I've had to do this when converting songs from a four-track tape machine to digital .wav files. Not sure if this helps.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Erm I don't have the software because I have moved and so cannot really go back to the studio. I don't quite know how to explain it. I just had a really interesting conversation that makes this look pretty darn stupid. I just have two wav files I want to stick together.

Pirate.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:Erm I don't have the software because I have moved and so cannot really go back to the studio. I don't quite know how to explain it. I just had a really interesting conversation that makes this look pretty darn stupid. I just have two wav files I want to stick together.

Pirate.

Maybe a program like this would help?
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Thanks. I will give it a go.

Pirate.