What if?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mercury wrote:OK, name a word that rhymes with orange.

(waits for smoke to start coming out of pirates main board)

Door-hinge(?)

I would like to know what rhymes with discombobulate.

Completely alienate?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Completely alienate?

Nice. I've always wanted to use discombobulate in a poem. Perhaps something along the lines of circumambulate would be close enough. Or maybe I can use discombobulation (is that even an acceptable variant of “discombobulate”?) and then use tintinnabulation… I could then claim to be Poe reincarnated.

*sigh*
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:and neither are there any words that rhyme with silver.

Pilfer comes pretty close. Any pirate worth her dubloons would know that.

F and V are fairly close in sound and often change characteristics depending on surrounding sounds. I believe things like that are why the plural of leaf is leaves and the plural of wife is ludicrous (or was that lascivious?).
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Blixa wrote:Completely alienate?

Nice. I've always wanted to use discombobulate in a poem. Perhaps something along the lines of circumambulate would be close enough. Or maybe I can use discombobulation (is that even an acceptable variant of “discombobulate”?) and then use tintinnabulation… I could then claim to be Poe reincarnated.

How about enthrobulate? I could then claim to be Lewis Caroll reincarnated.

I'm also reminded of a song from Disney's Sword in the Stone

It's a rough game anyone knows
There are no rules, anything goes
There's no logical explanation
For this discombooberation
It's a most bemuddling
most befuddling thing

There's no sensible explanation
It's a most hodge-podgical
Most illogical
Most confusiling
Most bamboozing
Most befuddling
Thing!
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

asbestosman wrote:It's a rough game anyone knows
There are no rules, anything goes
There's no logical explanation
It's a most bemuddling
most befuddling thing

There's no sensible explanation
It's a most hodge-podgical
Most illogical
Most confusiling
Most bamboozing
Most befuddling
Thing!

Tee-hee-hee... boob.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

asbestosman wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:and neither are there any words that rhyme with silver.

Pilfer comes pretty close. Any pirate worth her dubloons would know that.

F and V are fairly close in sound and often change characteristics depending on surrounding sounds. I believe things like that are why the plural of leaf is leaves and the plural of wife is ludicrous (or was that lascivious?).

Awe bless. Nah it doesn't really work. One would like it to work, but one knows it doesn't. Sorry.

:P

Pirate.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Combustulate, doctrinate, nobulate,
repribate.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:Combustulate,[...]

It tends to be easy to create rhymes when you create words.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

OMG!!! What about the classic "busticate?" Most memorably uttered by classic 1980's All My Children villain, Billy Clyde.

edit: I was under the impression that "busticate" was a total neologism possibly created by the All My Children writers. However, a brief online research of the word yielded this fascinating discussion in regard to a similar coinage:

ab·squat·u·late (b-skwch-lt)
intr.v. ab·squat·u·lat·ed, ab·squat·u·lat·ing, ab·squat·u·lates Midwestern & Western U.S.
a. To depart in a hurry; abscond: "Your horse has absquatulated!" Robert M. Bird.
b. To die.
2. To argue.
[Mock-Latinate formation, purporting to mean "to go off and squat elsewhere".]
Regional Note: In the 19th century, the vibrant energy of American English appeared in the use of Latin affixes to create jocular pseudo-Latin "learned" words. There is a precedent for this in the language of Shakespeare, whose plays contain scores of made-up Latinate words. Midwestern and Western U.S. absquatulate has a prefix ab-, "away from," and a suffix -ate, "to act upon in a specified manner," affixed to a nonexistent base form -squatul-, probably suggested by squat. Hence the whimsical absquatulate, "to squat away from." Another such coinage is Northern busticate, which joins bust with -icate by analogy with verbs like medicate. Southern argufy joins argue to a redundant -fy, "to make; cause to become." Today, these creations have an old-fashioned and rustic flavor curiously at odds with their elegance. They are kept alive in regions of the United States where change is slow. For example, Appalachian speech is characterized by the frequent use of words such as recollect, aggravate, and oblige.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:Combustulate,[...]

It tends to be easy to create rhymes when you create words.

I actually googled it. :S

Pirate.