Sweeney Todd Review

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Liz,

Do you really have to ask if I saw Sweeney Todd with Depp? ;-) I wasn't at all familiar with the musical itself or the storyline. I loved it in the sense that I love Johnny Depp. ;-) I was totally desensitized to the buckets of blood until near the end when the finger is in the sandwhich. From that point on, the gore was heaped on but I do understand why there needed to be a gory climax.

Depp was made for Tim Burton films, I can't think of anyone else who could have so righteously pulled off roles like Scissorhand, Wonka or Sweeney Todd.

I think his ability to change his appearance and wear a role are what makes him a genius character actor. I think he's only begun to hit is stride.

Depp is a god, just look at those cheek bones.

;-)

LOL! I agree! I have a huge crush on Johnny Depp. I love the fact that he is my age. ;)

I love the fact that you're both older than me!
_Yoda

Re: Sweeney Todd Review

Post by _Yoda »

the road to hana wrote:
liz3564 wrote:However, Angela Landsbury will always be the true Mrs. Lovett.

;)

Didn't she play it more like an off-center Kewpie doll?

OMG! Have you seen the show with her doing the role? Or are you just referring to clips on youtube?

Angela Landsbury is AMAZING!

The stage show is much more campy than the movie. It's supposed to be that way. The focus is more on macabre humor. Tim Burton made the show much more dark, but that's his style.

I enjoyed the movie as well. Even though the voices are not the greatest, it's great to hear Sondheim's music being played in a more popular medium. I had forgotten how genius his music really is.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Jersey Girl wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Liz,

Do you really have to ask if I saw Sweeney Todd with Depp? ;-) I wasn't at all familiar with the musical itself or the storyline. I loved it in the sense that I love Johnny Depp. ;-) I was totally desensitized to the buckets of blood until near the end when the finger is in the sandwhich. From that point on, the gore was heaped on but I do understand why there needed to be a gory climax.

Depp was made for Tim Burton films, I can't think of anyone else who could have so righteously pulled off roles like Scissorhand, Wonka or Sweeney Todd.

I think his ability to change his appearance and wear a role are what makes him a genius character actor. I think he's only begun to hit is stride.

Depp is a god, just look at those cheek bones.

;-)

LOL! I agree! I have a huge crush on Johnny Depp. I love the fact that he is my age. ;)

I love the fact that you're both older than me!

:P
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

I like a lot of Sondheim's music--have always liked Sweeney Todd--but I haven't seen it yet. I'd probably enjoy a live production more (where it's not so bloody), but my daughters saw the movie and absolutely loved it. They are Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bohnam Carter fans though so they were in heaven. They have listened to the soundtrack nonstop since seeing the film. It looked like it was beautifully done; I loved the surrealistic sets and costuming (watched a program on the film on youtube).

One movie I did see that I LOVED was "Lars and the Real Girl". If it's playing in your town, go see it--it is a wonderful movie.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Well, I'm mostly just dropping by to assure liz that people do read her threads : ) I don't like Sondheim, theatrical musicals made into films or on stage in the first place, or Tim Burton's oeuvre. But I do think Bernadette Peters looks amazing in real life. Astonishingly young.

That's it. Carry on....
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Blixa wrote:Well, I'm mostly just dropping by to assure liz that people do read her threads : ) I don't like Sondheim, theatrical musicals made into films or on stage in the first place, or Tim Burton's oeuvre. But I do think Bernadette Peters looks amazing in real life. Astonishingly young.

That's it. Carry on....

Thanks, Blixa! :)

Actually, a couple of other actresses that would have done well in the Mrs. Lovett role are:

Indina Menzel (Rent-She was amazing as Maureen in both the movie and stage version, Wicked-She was Elpheba in the original Broadway cast..amazing voice)
Renee Zelweger (She more than proved she could sing in Chicago)
Catherine Zeta Jones (Also proved her vocal ability in Chicago)
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

I saw the movie too.

I'm not familiar with the musical, so I may have a different perspective.

At first, I thought that Depp had just brought back Jack Sparrow. When he talked, it was almost identical. But, that only happened for the first 5 minutes. Then he was Sweeny Todd.

The blood was a bit too much like a bad horror movie. Almost comedic.

I'm glad Tim Burton directed this. In this movie, the absolute lack of color, except in the bright places, like the girl's yellow hair (I can't remember her name), and the scene by the sea, worked well. And that is Tim Burton's style.

I agree about the singing. Wasn't the best, but the performances were great!

It seemed like Sacha Baron Cohen's character was the same character as Jean Girard on Talladega Nights. He had the exact same fake accent.

The movie itself seemed to drag a little. I found myself drifting off during most of the songs. But overall, I enjoyed it.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

I'm glad you saw it, Scottie! Welcome to the world of musical theater! :)