The Great Presidential Campaign Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

The Great Presidential Campaign Thread

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Yikes!

The first primary for the Republicans is tomorrow in Iowa...and the one of the two front runners in Iowa is your pal and mine "Flippin" Mitt Romney. I figured I would start this thread as a place to post campaign updates concerning the primaries and caucuses and for all the politicophiles to post their reactions to how things pan out and so forth.

My opinions on Romney: he's hung his whole campaign on Iowa and New Hampshire. If he wins both he has a shot. If not, he's probably screwed. Personally I think Huckabee will win Iowa (sadly since he's one of the Jesusfreaks)...and that things will have to go from there. If Romney wins Iowa he might steamroll on to New Hampshire. If he loses, his shot in NH will take a big hit in favor of McCain. Well theres my view of the first few primaries for the Republicans. Tomorrow should be interesting.
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Well, to be honest, on the Republican side, I'm rooting for Thompson.

I don't think he's goingto win Iowa and NH, but if he stick in there close, he has a shot.

in my opinion, he's the only "real" conservative in the race.
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

ozemc wrote:Well, to be honest, on the Republican side, I'm rooting for Thompson.

I don't think he's goingto win Iowa and NH, but if he stick in there close, he has a shot

That's my general opinion. If Thompson stays in the Top 3 in Iowa (or creeps even higher) and something makes Huckabee slide down in the polls Thompson may be able to sneak into a South Carolina win.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
ozemc wrote:Well, to be honest, on the Republican side, I'm rooting for Thompson.

I don't think he's goingto win Iowa and NH, but if he stick in there close, he has a shot.

That's my general opinion. If Thompson stays in the Top 3 in Iowa (or creeps even higher) and something makes Huckabee slide down in the polls Thompson may be able to sneak into a South Carolina win.

I wouldn't count Rudy out by any means. He's still the national favorite.
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Bond...James Bond wrote:

I don't think he's goingto win Iowa and NH, but if he stick in there close, he has a shot

I do think that that "Huckaboom", as I've heard it called, has peaked, and he is coming down in the polls.

See http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ng_history

Huckabee, Guiliani, and McCain are in a statistical dead heat, with McCain slightly ahead.

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

We all know that Paul is going to win.

He's a civil libertarian, constitutionalist who is running under the Republican name.

How could you go wrong?
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Bryan Inks wrote:We all know that Paul is going to win.

He's a civil libertarian, constitutionalist who is running under the Republican name.

How could you go wrong?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

<ohhh ..... that's a good one .... my sides are hurting .....>

_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

How could you go wrong?

Yeah, when you think about it, Ron Paul really is the one who is closest to what the Founding Fathers had in mind.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

How could you go wrong?

I'd like him to win but he doesn't have a prayer.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

How could you go wrong?

Not going to happen. Sure he's cool and his foreign policy views is quite attractive (and honest that our foreign policy has come back Old Testament bite us in the ass) but I don't see how Americans will vote for him when they realize that he wants to take the ax to the American bureaucracy.

Dr. Shades wrote:Yeah, when you think about it, Ron Paul really is the one who is closest to what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

Problem being that it's not 1787 and we don't live in that set of circumstances. What the Founding Fathers had in mind isn't really that useful considering what America has evolved into.