The Great Presidential Campaign Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Looks like McCain is going to take New Hampshire and Romney is going 2nd.

Democratic side is very close. Hillary with the early lead.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Looks like Hillary is going to win New Hampshire (something to talk about in my Women and Politics class tomorrow).

Next up....Michigan (Romney's father was governor here...in my opinion he needs a win here to remain relevant).
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Next up....Michigan (Romney's father was governor here...in my opinion he needs a win here to remain relevant).

I agree

I think he needs to win there.

But why are the pundits declaring him down and out now when he:

Got 25% in Iowa to Huchabees 32% and McCain's 12%

Got 32% in NH to McCain's 37% and Huchabees 12%

Won Wyoming by far

Has 18 delegates to Huckabees 32 and McCain's 4

????

Seems to me he is a strong second and had broader appeal so far then any other candidate.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:

I agree

I think he needs to win there.

But why are the pundits declaring him down and out now when he:

Got 25% in Iowa to Huchabees 32% and McCain's 12%

Got 32% in NH to McCain's 37% and Huchabees 12%

Won Wyoming by far

Has 18 delegates to Huckabees 32 and McCain's 4

????

Seems to me he is a strong second and had broader appeal so far then any other candidate.

That's the general opinion on MAD. I think it's too early to call him completely out (and with his war chest he'll never be out if he doesn't want to be) but he needs to get Michigan and Nevada to jump ahead of McCain, because I have a feeling he won't do well in South Carolina (EV country).
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

That's the general opinion on MAD. I think it's too early to call him completely out (and with his war chest he'll never be out if he doesn't want to be) but he needs to get Michigan and Nevada to jump ahead of McCain, because I have a feeling he won't do well in South Carolina (EV country
).

Agreed that he needs to geet some wins. And yea SC and the EV block may be tough. But they don't like McCain that well, nor Rudy at all. SC might be Huckabee land. I really would not be surprised to see this go all the way to convention. Might be sort of fun.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Jason Bourne wrote:Agreed that he needs to get some wins. And yea SC and the EV block may be tough. But they don't like McCain that well, nor Rudy at all. SC might be Huckabee land. I really would not be surprised to see this go all the way to convention. Might be sort of fun.

I agree that it's going probably going to go much further than it has the past few elections (where things seem to be rapped up by Super Tuesday). It does make it more interesting when there is a good fight on both sides of the political sphere (as opposed to a shoe in on one side of the other.) It means that alot more messages and points of view will be put out there (hopefully anyway).
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

The latest delegate count from the Republican side (from CNN):

Romney 24

Huckabee 18

McCain 10

Thompson 6

Paul 2

Hunter 1

Giuliani 0

The site also indicated that 1191 is the magic number.

Long way to go ....
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Well since it is pretty clear I am a shameless Romney supporter and have even given his campaign money I thought this might interest some here:

Dear

I want to send out a huge thank you to all the Team Mitt members who helped Governor Romney finish very strong in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Now, let’s get ready for Michigan and together, let’s take Mitt’s message of change to even more Americans. You helped us get to where we are today, and it will be you who sends Mitt all the way to the White House.

Remember: to date, Americans have cast more votes for Governor Romney then any other Republican candidate.

This race is wide open, and with your help, we are going to win Michigan.

Republican voters in Michigan, like those all across the country, know that Washington has failed them, time and again. That Washington has made promises without delivering and they are tired of waiting for change.

We will bring the change that Michigan and folks across the nation are looking for.

Some of you may be asking how. How are we going to win Michigan and the Republican nomination? Well, the path to victory is quite clear. Our Strategy team has laid out the path to victory in a memo fresh off the printer. Read it for yourself at MittRomney.com/PathToVictory, and send it along to everyone you know.

The rally that allowed Mitt to close it to within a few points in New Hampshire is strong, memorable and growing. Now we are going to bring that rally for change right on over to Michigan!

See you there,

Beth Myers
Campaign Manager
Romney for President

P.S. Please read the memo and forward this message to all of your friends, family and neighbors, thanks again.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080110/ap_ ... richardson

Looks like Bill Richardson is dropping out for the Democrats.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jason Bourne wrote:I do not think the founding fathers could envision some of what we face, like radical Islamic terrorists.

Of course, if our politicians had kept to the Founding Fathers' original vision, we wouldn't have these problems with radical Islamic terrorists to begin with.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley