Does this phrase make sense?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Does this phrase make sense?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

"Flexible state of flux"

Or is flexible saying the same thing as flux?
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Well, "state of flux" usually (I think?) means that there is a transition of some sort. I also (for some reason) am thinking it has to do with not being certain which direction is going to be taken.

Flexible merely means something is pliable.

What's the context?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Moniker wrote:Well, "state of flux" usually (I think?) means that there is a transition of some sort. I also (for some reason) am thinking it has to do with not being certain which direction is going to be taken.

What's the context?

A developing/changing indoor/outdoor environment.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Moniker wrote:Well, "state of flux" usually (I think?) means that there is a transition of some sort. I also (for some reason) am thinking it has to do with not being certain which direction is going to be taken.

What's the context?

It works for me! A flexible state of flux. I'm okay with it. I just like the way it sounds! :)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Moniker wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

What's the context?

It works for me! A flexible state of flux. I'm okay with it. I just like the way it sounds! :)

Thanks! I can chat about it with you if you'd like.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

It works:

flexible: susceptible of modification or adaptation; adaptable
flux: flow or flowing

Superior!

(Of course I was too lame to look it up prior)
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Moniker wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

What's the context?

Thanks! I can chat about it with you if you'd like.

My laptop won't let me chat for some reason. It freezes up and I'm too lazy to move at the moment to get on my other computer. :)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Does this phrase make sense?

Post by _moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:"Flexible state of flux"

If someone suggested that to me, I would tell them, "Hey flux you too buddy".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

There are many word in the vocabulary of a craftsman, which has a different meaning than of a common person.
For me, "flux" is a kind of density of the electromagnetic field. (I am an expert in radar technology and in its sister-sciences.) In general, it has nothing to do with indoor/outdoor environment. (For me !!!)
If we translate the problem to the one subset of electromagnetic field, to the light, what does "brightness" and "brilliance" mean? That words have many synonym in many different craftsmanship. Think of a physicist, a photographer or a painter. Or of an essayist who write critics about a newly discovered crime story writer.

What does "gospel" mean?
If You ask
- a hungarian speaker
- an english speaker
- a moslem (Yes, a moslem. There are many of them.)
- a Mormon
- a Roman Catholic
the answer is different, even with no common words in definition.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

It's a tautology, and the alliteration seems a distraction. Just my .02.