Somewhat Hypothetical Question

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Dr. Shades wrote:Oh man, GIMR, I just don't know what to say. Right now I'm more worried about you than about your friends, truth be told.

I sure hope that this is something you can eventually heal from or, barring that, learn to squelch the symptoms.

Just guessing, but perhaps your friends are simply used to your being ill and don't know if/how/whether this is any worse than what you've already been going through for some time now?

Shades, thanks for caring. That means so much to me, I tell you, this past week was hell, and things like that matter so much. Maybe my friends don't know that it's any worse, but when I tell you that it wasn't one stroke it was multiple, and that I'm in danger of more, and ultimately one big one....isn't that a clue to wake up?

Part of me wants to take them aside and ask them how I've failed them, that they could fail me now. I've never been the social butterfly, but I've listened to these people, prayed with them, been there for them...one in particular, I used to take out to dinner with my pin money (we were teenagers) just to listen to her boyfriend problems, and they're not there for me right now. And what's keeping them away are pleasant romantic relationships (one friend is newly married), high paying jobs, travel...I know these things because when I call, I ask how they're doing. THAT'S what bothers me. If you were struggling, I'd understand. But you're skiing or something like that!

How many times have I called and the phone just gone to voicemail? You can't be in a business meeting all the time....

WTF? Has my judgment been that clouded, that almost everyone in my life has to be swept away? I don't have the strength to start over in the relationship department...not as far as friends are concerned.

On the whole, I still feel kept like I stated months ago. I didn't go hungry, I always managed to pay the essential bills and get the essential meds. I have a great job now, and can actually see a doctor. My parents have made it so that I have a roof over my head even if I have to go on disability or work part-time. In those areas I'm set. But I feel so lonely.

I struggle with wondering if it would be wrong to confront my friends (gently) and ask them if they could be there for me more. But then I wonder if that would be selfish of me. Then I wonder why bother, and if I really do need to just clear out my contacts and start over...now of all times. When it rains it hails.

The pain was so bad last week I was on the verge of being suicidal. I just couldn't handle it. What a difference one hug would have made. I called and called...and everyone was too busy living their lives. But let me have said it was cancer, the whole situation would be different, I guess. At least that's what the lady on the support hotline said. When folks hear cancer, they think death. Well my friend with cancer is in remission and on vacation. When people hear stroke, they usually think of old people, so I guess hearing it from me just doesn't register with them.

I don't know. I just wish I could know if I had done something wrong. If I had played Steve Urkel too many times, and now they just didn't want to deal with me.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

GIMR! Sorry 'bout your friends bailing on you! I can't give you advice on that -- just know that I empathize. I wish I'd been a better friend to you lately. Sorry!

I've been thinking of heading down to the DC area to visit with some old friends. Perhaps we could meet up?
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Moniker wrote:GIMR! Sorry 'bout your friends bailing on you! I can't give you advice on that -- just know that I empathize. I wish I'd been a better friend to you lately. Sorry!

I've been thinking of heading down to the DC area to visit with some old friends. Perhaps we could meet up?

Hey Darlin'

I hold none of my online buddies accountable for real-life responsibilities. Anyways, you've done better.

Any time you're in DC, holla. I'd love to see you. :-) PM me, and I'll give you my information. I lost my cell phone, but I'll get a new one next week. The number will be the same.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Sami, I think it is probably normal for you to go through a whole new cast of friends in your twenties. Sometimes the friends you make when you are down are the truest friends.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Gimr,

I have been thrilled to see you posting here again. I have always enjoyed reading what you have to say, and you say it very well. I'm sorry to hear your so sick, I wish I could do something for you. In liew of my no tbeign there to give oyu a hug...

Hope you get well soon.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Hey All,

Mok you have been dispensing wisdom to me for almost five years now, did you know that? ((((((hugs)))))) One day I'll cross the plains and make it to Utah...

Gaz, it's good to talk to ya again. I haven't been too active on the forums, because honestly, a lot of the subjects I just don't have insight on as my life has changed. I'm not LDS, I have limited contact with my LDS friends (and very little strife). I have no LDS family. There's no conflict, so the issues have kind of died down for me. I've been focusing on other things. Still, it's fun to peek in now and again.

If I'm incognegro this weekend, it's because I just got two wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. Definitely an adventure, but they were very infected. I'm glad they're gone. But I'm drugged, so I don't know what life will be like once the novacaine/percocet/motrin wears off. I'll try to peek in.

Thank you guys for reaching out. Gaz, I love Calvin and Hobbes! I used to have all sorts of comic books from them. I like Ren and Stimpy, too. Can't you tell I'm a 90s child?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

GIMR,

I'm so sorry to hear about your health struggles and how neglectful your friends have been. Are you in DC now?

We'll have to see if we can get together some way. NC isn't that far away.

Email me your cell phone

:)

Liz
Last edited by _Yoda on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to post a thank you to all of you for reaching out and touching senile old me. I really do appreciate it, it gets cold over here sometimes. It's nice to know that you do care. My teeth are out (yay!), and I'm feeling better today. I go by days, one day I'll go by weeks, hopefully. At least tomorrow's Friday, and my parents will be gone for the weekend. I have access to the car, I may go rent some movies, get a steak or two, and just chill.

You guys are some cool peeps. Be blessed. As far as my friends, I'm just trying to stay philosophical about it, ya know? Those who are in my life, I'm grateful for, be they online or in person. And those who aren't here, though it hurts like hell sometimes, the more I worry about it...the sicker I get. So I just gotta let it go.

*hugs*

Sami
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

GIMR,

I'm no expert, but it seems like health issues scare the hell out of most people.

A lot of people don't know how to act when they get around a sick person, so they avoid them. I also wonder if they might think that they would be bothering you, and that you need your rest, so they don't show up?

But, yes, I love your guts. If I were by you, I'd come visit.

Q: Has the Disneyworld/RSV family been over to see you after you tended their child for 2 (or was it 3) days in the ICU?
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Thanks for the update, GIMR. I hope you have a good time.

I'm gonna have to echo what Scottie said. I'm really, really bad when it comes to issues of poor health or similar tragedy. I simply don't know what to say or do. Maybe your friends are the same way?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley