Sleep. OMH

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Sleep. OMH

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 62 and a half hours. Oh my gosh. I am quite calm at the moment. I was slightly hyper today. I made an attempt at sleeping a few times but was unsuccesful.
Just punched myself on the face...
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Sleep. OMH

Post by _The Nehor »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 62 and a half hours. Oh my gosh. I am quite calm at the moment. I was slightly hyper today. I made an attempt at sleeping a few times but was unsuccesful.

You might want to talk to a doctor.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

If you can't get sleep, the worst thing to do is to stare at a computer screen, tv screen, or anything that requires the lights to be on. The only exception I have is reading math books which will put me out quickly because my brain overheats.

And yeah, tell the doctor when you see him.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Hmmm.

Guys my heart is racing... I had an amazing intuitive discussion. I swear I must tell you all. I fear I will lose it. I had people to scared to take their eyes and ears off me incase they missed anything. They agree'd with me also. And even asked ME how they might be able to do these things I discussed. It is overwhelming. Everything fell into place. REALLY! It will take ages to construct. Oh wow. Even Mac Donalds let us sit in even after they locked the doors. It was so amazing that I really wish to tell you. My heart is racing with anxiety that I might not be able to tell you for it is so very late. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Pirate. I feel like LIZ.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Lets change that to 4 hours sleep in about 66.75 hours. That is ridiculous. Thing is I normally fall asleep at random times and all the time. I guess I just go for the extremeties.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

I would suggest going to go see a doctor. It's not good for you, I'm concerned.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/n ... edoux.html

Quote:

Sleep deprived test subjects have difficulties thinking of imaginative words or ideas. Instead, they tend to choose repetitious words or clichéd phrases. Also, a sleep-deprived individual is less able to deliver a statement well. The subject may show signs of slurred speech, stuttering, speaking in a monotone voice, or speaking at a slower pace than usual (6). Subjects in research studies also have a more difficult time reacting well to unpredicted rapid changes. Sleep deprived people do not have the speed or creative abilities to cope with making quick but logical decisions, nor do they have the ability to implement them well. Studies have demonstrated that a lack of sleep impairs one's ability to simultaneously focus on several different related tasks, reducing the speed as well as the efficiency of one's actions (8). A person may be able to react to a complex scenario when suddenly presented with it but, similar to the verbal tests, the subject will most likely pick an unoriginal solution. If presented with a similar situation multiple times with slight variations in the information presented the subject chooses the same solution, even though it might not be as applicable to the new senario (9).

Quote:
One of the symptoms of prolonged sleep deprivation is hallucinations (10). This could also be related to the I-function since it is the system that integrates the input from all other areas of the brain. If the neurons composing the I-function become too taxed then the picture in the head that the I-function produces may be more dissimilar from reality than usual. The neurons, under pressure to continue functioning but unable to perform optimally, create an image useful enough for a person to see most of his or her surroundings. Metabolic activity in the prefrontal cortex can drop as much as eleven percent after a person has missed sleep for only twenty four hours (8). As a person loses more sleep or continues to receive less-than-adequate amounts of sleep the neurons become even more taxed and the I-function may begin to generate even less coherent images possibly resulting in temporary insanity.

Please take care of yourself. :)
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Im too sleepy to read your link.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

68.8 hours.