Hmmm?????

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Hmmm?????

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

"If Jody doesn't pay her ticket, she will go to jail." Which other statement must be true?
If Jody pays her ticket, she won't go to jail.
If Jody goes to jail, she didn't pay her ticket.
If Jody doesn't go to jail, she paid her ticket.

The first and the last are the same. Also they are all wrong. Jodie might still go to jail even if she pays her ticket. Jodie might go to jail for something other than paying her ticket and the last is the same as the first only in a different order. I guess the last one would be the best to go for.
Just punched myself on the face...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Hmmm?????

Post by _asbestosman »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:"If Jody doesn't pay her ticket, she will go to jail." Which other statement must be true?
If Jody pays her ticket, she won't go to jail.
If Jody goes to jail, she didn't pay her ticket.
If Jody doesn't go to jail, she paid her ticket.

The first and the last are the same. Also they are all wrong. Jodie might still go to jail even if she pays her ticket. Jodie might go to jail for something other than paying her ticket and the last is the same as the first only in a different order. I guess the last one would be the best to go for.

I see you took that free IQ test as well. ;)
The last one is the only one that is correct. It follows the logical rule known as modus tollens

The first and second are wrong because we weren't told what would happen if Jody pays her ticket. For all we know, she may go to jail anyhow. The third is correct because we know that had Jody not paid her ticket, that she'd be in jail. Therefore the only way she wouldn't be in jail is for her to have paid her ticket.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Yeah, I went for the last. They wery kinda trick questions in a way. IQ tests are rubbish. I once got 149. I was also asked to do a test to join Mensa. I didn't go. On average of the few I have done I am 135. But really I am stupid. Well not really stupid, but stupid enough.
Just punched myself on the face...