The Moment of Truth - FOX TV Show

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

The Moment of Truth - FOX TV Show

Post by _Who Knows »

So anyone else planning on watching this show? The first time I saw a preview for it, I thought it looked horrible. But now, I have this morbid curiosity, and have to see it.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this is how it works. Someone is strapped to a lie detector, and they're asked 21 questions. If they answer all the questions truthfully, they win some $$. An example question might be to a married guy "Do you have a crush on a co-worker?" or "Do you think you'll still be married in 5 years" etc. From the previews, it looks brutal.

Got me to thinking, would I want my wife to know EVERYTHING? Would I want to be strapped to a lie detector in front of my wife? Do we really want to know other peoples innermost thoughts?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I havent watched it, but the previews made me cringe. I doubt I could watch an episode.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I could handle it, since I'm single, young, and have no skeletons.

Married people who've been around the block a few times.....might be brutal.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Why did the show "look horrible" or make you "cringe?" It looked awesome, and indeed was awesome!

There were only two bad things about it: First, there were way too many commercials; second, they spent too much time on backgrounds and introductions. So as long as you record the show and then fast-forward through the boring parts, you'll be fine.

My wife and I watched it last night. Good show! Basically, there are five segments. The first segment consists of six easy questions, the second segment consists of five not-so-easy questions, and so forth. Successfully passing the first segment nets the contestant $10,000. Successfully passing the second segment nets the contestant $25,000, and so on, all the way up to $500,000. A contestant can quit at any time and keep the money he/she has earned. If, on the other hand, he/she ever answers untruthfully, ALL his/her money is immediately lost and the game ends for him/her.

The drama comes into play thanks to the fact that some of the contestant's closest associates, always his/her spouse or significant other along with friends, family, boss, etc., are sitting a short distance away in full view of the contestant.

You know, watching this show brought home to me just how important facades are to daily life. I was amazed at how many lies we must must live with just to make it through the day. Of course, this is due only to the fact that society can't tolerate the truth and demands the facades.

Anyhow, passing the first segment will make one's spouse disconcerted. Passing the second segment will make one's spouse highly agitated. I can only guess that passing the final segment will make one divorced, if not jailed. Is $500,000 worth getting divorced or jailed? You decide.

So, be sure to tune in to "The Moment of Truth," Wednesdays on FOX!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

What are some of the questions that are so devastating?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Dr. Shades wrote:Why did the show "look horrible" or make you "cringe?" It looked awesome, and indeed was awesome!

This is why:

shades wrote:Anyhow, passing the first segment will make one's spouse disconcerted. Passing the second segment will make one's spouse highly agitated. I can only guess that passing the final segment will make one divorced, if not jailed. Is $500,000 worth getting divorced or jailed? You decide.

I didn't mean horrible - as in a bad show. I meant horrible for the people on the show - brutal.

blixa wrote:What are some of the questions that are so devastating?

I gave a couple examples in my OP. Some others:

"Have you delayed having children because you're not sure if you'll be with your wife long term?"
"Have you used the internet to flirt with women?"
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

The question where the father asked if he apologized, would the son forgive him...how could a lie detector determine that? I mean, how could you really know if you could or not? I would be a wash of emotion.

I mean, doesn't it have to be a VERY definitive yes when you really believe no (or vice versa) in order for the detector to register a lie? Some ambiguous kind of I think so answer wouldn't register, would it?
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo