Engineers and Mathmaticians.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote:I did use some advanced maths at uni - exactly as you say for audio signal processing and such (Things like Fourier Transforms and such sound familiar... I think we used them to do audio spectral analysis of audio signals - to find individual frequency strengths and spread. Sound right? Heh - been a while....).
Did some DSP programming at uni etc.

Yep, Fourier Transforms convert signals into the frequency domain which gives strength and spread. Cool that you did DSP. I some DSP programming too. In fact, I really wanted to get a DSP job. Instead I'm working on other programming.

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote:All that stuff I did at uni is only stuff I ever use when I'm messing around with my home studio. I.e. the course I studied at uni now only has relavence to my hobby! Wierd how things turn out...

Yeah I understand. I don't use much math in my day-to-day job. I don't exactly have an audio hobby, but I still enjoy learning about signal processing. I keep telling myself that one day I'll sit down and write my own simple audio filters or video filters, but I never seem to get around to it. I usually spend my free time playing games and reading MDB.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO