Engineers and Mathmaticians.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Who Knows wrote:I'm an accountant. though I'm not sure if that qualifies for 'mathmetician'. All we need to know how to do is add and subtract. Although I always enjoyed my math classes - well, I preferred them to all my other classes.

If only I'd pursued math and become an actuary. I understand they pay much better than accountants.

Accountancy is quite mathmatical. I think. No wait I am thinking of something else. I can't remember.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

I had to look portmanteau up. Like "Spard" a spastic/retard? that's not nice, but spardis much softer and I get away with calling my brother it. XD I don't really, just when he annoys me. In scotland we use the word choob for an idiot.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Mathematician (actuary)
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Cool, what do you do in that?
_Boaz & Lidia
_Emeritus

Post by _Boaz & Lidia »

Truth Engineer.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Software Engineer.
Not a lot of use of any (what I'd call) 'advanced' mathematics day to day, but I took A-level Maths at school.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

RenegadeOfPhunk wrote:but I took A-level Maths at school.

What is A-level maths?

Also Ren, being an audio guy don't you have skills in signal processing stuff or at least waves?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

abs wrote:What is A-level maths?

Also Ren, being an audio guy don't you have skills in signal processing stuff or at least waves?

A-levels are the qualifications you take before going to uni. A-levels are a way for you to 'qualify' for good uni's etc. Usually it's 16-18 year olds studying them. (You can leave school at 16 here with just GSCE's, or you can continue on and get your A-levels, and then onto uni etc.)

I did use some advanced maths at uni - exactly as you say for audio signal processing and such (Things like Fourier Transforms and such sound familiar... I think we used them to do audio spectral analysis of audio signals - to find individual frequency strengths and spread. Sound right? Heh - been a while....).
Did some DSP programming at uni etc.
...but I'm not involved in Signal Processing or stuff like that anymore. The PC software I write is all control software. Controlling a network of hardware devices. It's more windows UI, database access, TCP / IP stuff these days. Haven't actually done any signal processing maths or coding in yonks...

All that stuff I did at uni is only stuff I ever use when I'm messing around with my home studio. i.e. the course I studied at uni now only has relavence to my hobby! Wierd how things turn out...
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

I did A levels, GCSE's, Standard Grades and a couple of "Intermediate" modules (equavalent to As's).
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Engineers and Mathmaticians.

Post by _Mercury »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:How many of you guys fall under this category?

Pirate.

(raises hand)

Network engineer, here!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning