How I Feel Today Summed Up

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

How I Feel Today Summed Up

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

My doppelganger over at MA&D (consiglieri) has a thread on creating G-d in our own image. It reminded me of one of Krishnamurti's little "discourses" on love, and after posting the quote I realized... today this is how I feel:

We are not loved because we don't know how to love. What is love? The word is so loaded and corrupted that I hardly like to use it. Everybody talks of love - every magazine and newspaper and every missionary talks everlastingly of love. I love my country, I love my king, I love some book, I love that mountain, I love pleasure, I love my wife, I love God. Is love an idea? If it is, it can be cultivated, nourished, cherished, pushed around, twisted in any way you like. When you say you love God what does it mean? It means that you love a projection of your own imagination, a projection of yourself clothed in certain forms of respectability according to what you think is noble and holy; so to say, `I love God', is absolute nonsense. When you worship God you are worshipping yourself - and that is not love.
-- Jiddu Krishnamurti, "On Love," 1980.

*Feeling confused*
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Too deep for me, man. I'm lost.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Who Knows wrote:Too deep for me, man. I'm lost.

I remember the first time I read him; it was a discourse in which he was describing how to free your mind from your upbringing. For about 6 pages he talked about how to look at a tree without seeing it as a tree, but seeing it as its parts. But you can't have a name for the parts because then you are seeing the name and not the thing. But you can’t see it as a “thing” because then you are seeing it for what it isn’t. You must simply see it… and on, and on, and around, and around.

At the end of all of it, all I could think is... "Huh?"
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Oh! I'm confused and "Huh!" today, too!

If only I could twist and turn and find a spot to rest. I flip about in a frenzy trying to find that perfect fit and it doesn't work! Love! What is it?

Love for me is selfish, cruel, bitter, fretful, fearful, at times! I chase away things I love because they startle me and make me gasp as I turn me into a weak puddling mess of quivering mush! So I rise up and slither into this facade of strength to push away those that would see me!

What is love? It's that warmth you can nestle tight inside. It can turn on you and make you weak and vulnerable! It can create mind spasms where you attempt to twist it away and make it fit some niche that never quite can be! I have no earthly idea what love is!

I so fear that love for me is wrapped in selfishness, things that bring me pleasure I desire -- and in doing so warp them somehow!

I know what yearning is. I know desires! I know sobs! I know ecstasy! I know gasping in delight! I know exquisiteness in intimacy!

Love! What is this thing? I know loyalty to my children. I know self sacrifice for them! I know how to give and care -- empathy, compassion! Yet, this too is lacking when I fear the vulnerability of love.

In seeing the bits of the tree do we lose the essence of the tree? I fear that is so!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Moniker wrote:Love! What is it?

A curse. A motherfreaking curse....and I want one someday. ;)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Clearly Krishnamurti was looking in the mirror and seeing God.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Love is confusing. I don't know what to think of it, really.

But, I do know what I think of this, one of my all-time favorite love songs: Woman by John Lennin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PaLfDnShEn0

(For the other half of the sky...)

Woman I can hardly express,
My mixed emotion at my thoughtlessness,
After all I'm forever in your debt,
And woman I will try express,
My inner feelings and thankfullness,
For showing me the meaning of succsess,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman I know you understand
The little child inside the man,
Please remember my life is in your hands,
And woman hold me close to your heart,
However distant don't keep us apart,
After all it is written in the stars,
oooh well, well,
oooh well, well,

Woman please let me explain,
I never mean(t) to cause you sorrow or pain,
So let me tell you again and again and again,
I love you (yeah, yeah) now and forever,
I love you (yeah, yeah)...

KA
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: How I Feel Today Summed Up

Post by _Runtu »

Doctor Steuss wrote:My doppelganger over at MA&D (consiglieri) has a thread on creating G-d in our own image. It reminded me of one of Krishnamurti's little "discourses" on love, and after posting the quote I realized... today this is how I feel:

We are not loved because we don't know how to love. What is love? The word is so loaded and corrupted that I hardly like to use it. Everybody talks of love - every magazine and newspaper and every missionary talks everlastingly of love. I love my country, I love my king, I love some book, I love that mountain, I love pleasure, I love my wife, I love God. Is love an idea? If it is, it can be cultivated, nourished, cherished, pushed around, twisted in any way you like. When you say you love God what does it mean? It means that you love a projection of your own imagination, a projection of yourself clothed in certain forms of respectability according to what you think is noble and holy; so to say, `I love God', is absolute nonsense. When you worship God you are worshipping yourself - and that is not love.
-- Jiddu Krishnamurti, "On Love," 1980.

*Feeling confused*

It reminds me of Roland Barthes' book, "A Lover's Discourse," wherein he suggests that love is an acknowledgment of extreme solitude. We like to think of love as selfless and focused on the other, but it's focus is ourselves. That's what I read in the quote you gave, which I like. God as a projection of our imagination is heady stuff, to be sure.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_MishMagnet
_Emeritus

Post by _MishMagnet »

I know what love is. I've never had a problem with that.

Loving God, though, God loving me - that is something I have never been able to grasp.
Insert ironic quote from fellow board member here.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

How I feel today, and felt yesterday, and the day before that, and the months before that:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=waCH24gAJx4

you took your coat off and stood in the rain
you were always crazy like that
and I watched from my window,
always felt that I was outside looking in on you
always the mysterious one
with dark eyes and careless hair,
you were fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care
then you stood in my doorway, with nothing to say
besides some comment on the weather

well in case you failed to notice,
in case you failed to see,