Romney Mops the floors with McCain

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

the road to hana wrote:
liz3564 wrote:Based on the current candidates, I like Obama.

And I'm a Republican.

Not only an Obama girl, but a Super Obama Girl, eh liz?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AIiMa2Fe-ZQ

OMG! This is hilarious!

LOL
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I'm not a Republican. My problem is the Democrats never give me a decent candidate to vote for, so I'm forced to vote Republican by default. And I fear this year is going to be no different.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

In order of preference I will vote for:

Romney
Obama
McCain
Clinton
Huckabee
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

[quote="guy sajer"][quote="DonBradley"][quote="Miss Taken"]Isn't McCain, a Veteran? For those of us who don't study American Politics, we immediately think of 'warmonger'. In effect McCain, was a professional killer.[/quote]

This is what I would have thought as well. But the relationship doesn't hold, at least not at the level of US Secretary of State. When a veteran serves as Secretary of State, the chances that US troops will be deployed [I]drops[/I] significantly. I don't know of any similar studies on the relationship of veteran status to a [I]president's[/I] likelihood of deploying troops, but the inverse relationship between veteran status and troop deployment for the Secretary of State suggests that having [I]been[/I] a soldier may make one more judicious about putting those who are now soldiers in harm's way. How much does somebody like W. know what it's like to be a soldier??

Don[/quote]

I don't see how "Veteran" translates into war monger. My guess is that most people who have seen combat feel the exact opposite.

Neither does it translate into professional killer. Most soldiers experience a strong revulsion to killing and never get over it. The innate human resistance to taking human life is quite strong. I recommend that you read the very fine book, "On Killing."

I'd much rather have someone who's experienced combat making decisions about sending our nation's sons and daughters into harm's way as opposed to someone for whom warfare, death, and killing are but theoretical abstractions. As the father of a draft-eligible son, I am not wild about the prospect of any foreign military adventures, particularly ones based on faulty intelligence, wishful thinking, ideological stupidity, and impenetrable cognitive dissonance.

As for Wilson, the great statesman was also a petty tyrant. My esteem for him dropped significantly when I learned of the oppressively tyrannical policies he imposed on the American public during WWI. For reference, I recommend the fine book "The Great Influenza."[/quote]

Thanks Guy,
Don, I think was making exactly the same point. I stand by (for the moment) my comment about soldiers being professional killers. I don't mean that in anything but an objective way. They are trained to fight even if they are repulsed by the thought. My friend applied for the Royal Marines over here in the UK and was rejected because when he was asked if he could kill anyone in combat he said no... It goes with the territory I would have thought.

I'll check the references. Wilson also probably laid the foundation with others at the Treaty of Versailles for much of the resentment that the Germans felt for other Europeans after WW1. In my opinion... Germany was pretty much emasculated by the treaty.

Mary
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Nehor wrote:In order of preference I will vote for:

Romney
Obama
McCain
Clinton
Huckabee

So if Romney was not running you would go with one of the more liberal candidates? I wonder if this will be true for a lot of LDS people. Sometimes from Utah it seems they will vote Republican, even if the candidate was a marsupial.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

moksha wrote:
The Nehor wrote:In order of preference I will vote for:

Romney
Obama
McCain
Clinton
Huckabee

So if Romney was not running you would go with one of the more liberal candidates? I wonder if this will be true for a lot of LDS people. Sometimes from Utah it seems they will vote Republican, even if the candidate was a marsupial.

No, but what it does show is that some americans, if not many, are very independent minded. In the above case, the poster chooses Romney but if he doesn't get it, the poster chooses Obama. Now this may seem like a contradiction but actually it isn't, if a person is an independent. What becomes important is the personality of the candidate in this case. The one that can bring a fresh perspective into politics. And both Romney and Obama can do bring that change. Romney through a personal value structure and business culture and Obama, through his african-american understandings, translated into politics.

Such is America today where party loyalities are less important.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I thnk it is so funny how Mormons play out the persecution complex by constantly complaining and suggesting that Evangelicals refuse to vote for Romney simply because he is Mormon.

But obviously some Evangelicals do vote for Romney.

However, I have yet to come across a single Mormon who would vote for Huckabee. The list above is indicative of the typical Mormon mindset. An Evangelical is the LAST person on every Mormon's list. Why? Well, because he is Evangelical obviously. Oh the hypocrisy.

This makes me wonder if Evangelicals have a legitimate cause to cry persecution from Mormons.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_the road to hana
_Emeritus

Post by _the road to hana »

dartagnan wrote:However, I have yet to come across a single Mormon who would vote for Huckabee.

Which is ironic, because if there were no LDS candidate running, Mike Huckabee would seem to be a good fit for many Mormons.

It seems to me that there's been a Mormon backlash against Huckabee since he attacked their boy Mitt, particularly bringing up the "Jesus and Satan brothers" issue. To read the MADB board these past few weeks, one would think he's the devil incarnate. That seems to be shifting over to McCain now that Huck looks like less of a threat.
The road is beautiful, treacherous, and full of twists and turns.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

dartagnan wrote:I thnk it is so funny how Mormons play out the persecution complex by constantly complaining and suggesting that Evangelicals refuse to vote for Romney simply because he is Mormon.

However, I have yet to come across a single Mormon who would vote for Huckabee. The list above is indicative of the typical Mormon mindset. An Evangelical is the LAST person on every Mormon's list. Why? Well, because he is Evangelical obviously. Oh the hypocrisy.

This makes me wonder if Evangelicals have a legitimate cause to cry persecution from Mormons.

I actually liked Huckabee before he ever ran. And when he started I thought he was ok as well. But as I have come to know more about him I like him less. I do not like his national sales tax proposal. New taxes always mean trouble. Yes he wants to do away with income tax. But over time we could end up with both. I would rather use income tax as the base and reduce the tax burden from there. Also, he actually made me nervous because he did wear his religion on his sleeve too much. At one point when talking about marriage and gay issues he said he would rather follow the unchangeable word of god and modify the changeable constitution.

He could be more viable down the road. He is only 52 and had plenty of political life left.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

dartagnan wrote:I thnk it is so funny how Mormons play out the persecution complex by constantly complaining and suggesting that Evangelicals refuse to vote for Romney simply because he is Mormon.

You post could have been true except that you overlooked a major point: Hucklebee's somewhat critical comments about Mormon theology and attempting to use the criticisms for his own gain.

I believe that this is the reason for Mormon hestitation in supporting Hucklebee.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith