Romney Mops the floors with McCain

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Gazelam wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Um, Gaz, ever heard of the phrase, "Give us your tired, your poor, your wretched masses?" We are a country of immigrants!

Sure. Legal immigrants. Also, times change. Self interest for any nation in protecting borders, languages and culture is important. I am for legal and controlled immigration. And I am for a guest worker program. Unfettered illigal immigration is and will destroy this nation. It is already burdening the health care system of southern California and even has caused some medical facilities to close.

Thank you Jason, well said.

Lets put it this way. Find a mexican illegal immigrant ( Just throw a stick out your front door and speak to the one it hits) and ask them what they woudl do if the Chinese were to launch an attack at America. Would they stand a post and carry a rifle?

HELL NO, theyd be off to their country of origin as fast as their feet could carry them. They care nothing more for America than a Lamprey does for the shark its attached to.

This isn't a question of race, its a question of patriotism and the integral strength of our nation.

Just in the last few years was there a great influx of immigrants where I live. The fathers were routinely shipped back to their country of origin and their wives and children were here. It was devastating to these families! Some of these children were born into American citizenship.

Just a few weeks ago, a few counties over, there was a huge roundup of illegals and the entire community of illegal immigrants fled. Guess who is upset about it? The businesses that relied on these individuals to buy their products, those that depended upon their labor (a few places are just stagnant now), the apartment buildings that now have no tenants, etc.... The MAYOR (a good ole boy) was quoted in the paper saying he had no idea how devastating it would be for his community to lose these people -- but now they know. :)

Our country needs to deal with it in a fashion that recalls that humanity does not end at our borders or at language barriers.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Dr. Shades wrote:Have you learned a second language, asbestosman?

Ik spreek nederlands (I speak Dutch).

I'm also trying to learn a bit of Chinese, and a bit of Japanese. Sometimes I'll even try some German, and Spanish. I also took French in high school although I'm not very good at it or indeed anything other than English and Dutch.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

The British are notoriously bad at learning a second language.
I speak holiday Greek, holiday Italian, and holiday Spanish (read....I am crap) did 5 years of French and still feel no good at it. (best way to learn a language is to live in the country in my opinion).

I just read through the BBC site on the candidates and their opinions on the key issues.
On that basis if I were American I would probably vote for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/e ... licans.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/e ... ocrats.stm

1. Obama
2. Clinton
3. Romney and McCain
4. Huckabee

Difficult though because my main priorities would be for policies on Iraq/Iran and Climate Change. Romney seems pretty reasonable actually.

Mary
_the road to hana
_Emeritus

Post by _the road to hana »

Tori wrote:
the road to hana wrote:Here's a question. You think Mitt is going to be watching the Superbowl? With his boys, maybe? Or Tivoing it?

Mitt should have bought 30 seconds of Superbowl time.

I bet he's watching the game, just a hunch.

Mitt watched the game at a hotel in Nashville, then when his Pats lost, went off to bed and said he'd skip the celebrations.
The road is beautiful, treacherous, and full of twists and turns.