Romney Mops the floors with McCain

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Romney Mops the floors with McCain

Post by _dartagnan »

This was from last night's debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEaklHCDvKU
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Romney Mops the floors with McCain

Post by _Who Knows »

dartagnan wrote:This was from last night's debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEaklHCDvKU

He's certainly a better debater, no doubt about it.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

McCain just strikes me as a wussy, every single time I see him in a debate. This is the main reason I wouldn't vote for him.

His head is frequently down, usually murmuring like he doesn't know what he should say. Is this how we can expect him to keep his composure when dealing with world leaders? God help us all.

You have to stand up and be tough as a leader. McCain is always pretending to be honorable, but what he did recently was hardly that. He knows he was wrong, and Romney is right to take the high horse and make him look stupid for doing it. Romney said something like, "Who knows more about my positions, me or you?" and I think that immediately resonated with people.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Wow. Romney is a master debater.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

What are these dial tests?
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

I don't get it. How can anyone support McCain over Romney after this and the last debate. Yet all the heavy reublicans are rolling out their endorsement for McCain. I think McCain will get it but man I am nervous. If he is the guy I may vote for Hillary or Obama!
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

I don't get it. How can anyone support McCain over Romney after this and the last debate. Yet all the heavy reublicans are rolling out their endorsement for McCain.

Because not all Republicans are conservatives.

Also many Republicans erroneously believe that a shift to the center will attract more voters. Problem with that is why would a Dem vote for a liberal Republican when he can vote for a liberal Democrat? It's better to differentiate and therefore, Republicans will always do better with a more conservative candidate.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

A quick wit, alpha-male behavior, and being more articulate than the next guy are not--I should hope--the only, or most important, things a citizen would look for in a president.

Oh...I have to tell this. It just popped into my mind. Years ago I read through the voluminous diaries of Joshua R. Clark, father of J. Reuben Clark, Jr. The elder Clark, like his more famous son, had a great interest in politics, and was, of course, an ardent Republican. On a trip to Washington, DC to visit his politician son, Joshua R. Clark got to see Woodrow Wilson give a speech. Clark's judgment on the man was emphatic: "His is not the head of a great statesman. It's too small."

Wilson's most prominent achievements as president were in the field of international relations---statesmanship. But, judging from the size of his head (evidently too much smaller than Teddy Roosevelt's), his skill in this area was merely illusory.

Somehow this country has survived presidents who were small-headed pencil necks (Wilson), chronic depressives (Lincoln), 'cripples' (FDR), a bit callow (JFK), a bit doddering (Reagan)...but we'd never survive one who ever mumbled. People like that couldn't possibly earn the respect of their peers and acquire political clout, like, say, a longtime powerful position in the United States Senate--much less the Presidency. Never!

Don
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

In terms of international relations, I think what many British want to see is a strong American leader who is a dove rather than a hawk.
Bush is seen (maybe understandably so) as a Hawk, and an oil baron hawk at that. People don't like him, and they don't like Blair for tagging along with him
over foreign policy.

Crumbs though...I'm surprised Romney has got this far,...maybe there is a chance for him afterall...
Isn't McCain, a Veteran? For those of us who don't study American Politics, we immediately think of 'warmonger'. In effect McCain, was a professional killer.
But then you get Romney who dodged the call through a mission. So he doesn't know diddly squat about what it's like to fight in a war for soldiers (like Bush), and so would probably find it easier to send soldiers off to die from the comfort of the oval office. (Why can't leaders, 'lead' their soldiers in battle, if their own lives were on the line, surely it would make them think long and hard whether it was worth it?)

McCain is an unknown over here, Romney - the Mormon, Obama and Clinton.

I'd plump for Clinton....(her husband was a great leader in my opinion)

Mary
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

I should have mentioned another noted mumbler, and relatively poor debater--George H. W. Bush, who demonstrated his abilities as a statesman while serving as a US Representative, US ambassador to China, US ambassador to the United Nations, director of the CIA, vice president, president, and, as president, an effective builder of international coalitions and proponent of Middle-East peace.

If we'd had this level of foreign-policy competence in the presidency during the latest regime, the past several years might have been quite different.

Maybe this gene skips a generation?

Don
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.