Romney Mops the floors with McCain

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:I don't get it. How can anyone support McCain over Romney after this and the last debate. Yet all the heavy reublicans are rolling out their endorsement for McCain. I think McCain will get it but man I am nervous. If he is the guy I may vote for Hillary or Obama!

McCain will win the nom and romney will go back to the shadow where he belongs, just like his dad.

Why does he belong in the shadow? He has actually done quite well in spite of the carping of people of your ilk. You hate him because he is a Mormon, plain and simple. Yes McCain will likely the nomination. Whether he wins the GE is yet to be seen. Even if he does he will most likely run one term only. You may see Romney again in four years and McCain would be smart to put him on as VP. He has a broader appeal then Huckabee who is now pandering to be the VP, as is Rudy.

On McCain, I like him fine but he has sore spots. But I will tell you that anyone who calls Romney a flip flopper and accuses him of expediency ought to look at McCain-for the Bush tax cuts? Where were you seven years ago Johny? True conservative? Gag me. You are not a true conservative on anything but defense. Heir of Reagan? Not be a long shot dude. I could almost vote for the dem if you run after this nauseating pandering.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Um, Gaz, ever heard of the phrase, "Give us your tired, your poor, your wretched masses?" We are a country of immigrants!

Sure. Legal immigrants. Also, times change. Self interest for any nation in protecting borders, languages and culture is important. I am for legal and controlled immigration. And I am for a guest worker program. Unfettered illigal immigration is and will destroy this nation. It is already burdening the health care system of southern California and even has caused some medical facilities to close.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Gazelam wrote:The whole amnesty thing just gets me really pissed off.

Amnesty? What these peopel need are the Bulldozers and Dumptrucks as seen in Soilent Green. Just keep the trucks moving till they can unload in mexico.

I'm still stunned that this cultural upheaval was allowed in the first place. The Republicans wanted the cheap labor, and the Liberals will embrace any minority that will place them in power. Its disgusting.

And while the wealthy and corrupt politicians line their pockets, I get to be bombarded by dual languges and third world attitudes and culture that was not here 6 years ago. Why do I have 20 stations on my cable that are in spanish? Why do I have spanish on my radio stations? Why do I have to choose a language at my ATM?

I have more empathy for rape victims now.

Soilent green?

I suppose there is a natural trajectory from eating all the food they pick to eating them.

Oh I bet you just meant just ship them to the boarder and dump them, presumably hoping they survive ok.

We are a soveriegn nation and can choose what we want to do about the problem. We can choose to round them all up and and ship them someplace. It is not some dictator who has to choose this. There is no law we cannot change that says we must do this.,We are a democracy and it is our choice and responsibility. We may choose to do this or we may choose not to do this. We are not beholden to anybody on which way this goes. I t depends only on how we see self interest and concern for other humans.

I myself see lttle reason based upon either self interest or care for other human beings which would incline me to see shipping them all out as helping our country. We do have the legal authority to decide to do that if we want however.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Jason Bourne wrote:Self interest for any nation in protecting borders, languages and culture is important.

What's so bad about having multiple languages? What's wrong with Belgium? Switzerland?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

If we'd had this level of foreign-policy competence in the presidency during the latest regime, the past several years might have been quite different.

Uh, Don, you call leaving Saddam in power, abandoning the internal Iraqi resistance forces that stood against him, allowing him to turn his vengeance against the Kurds, and giving him more than a decade to create his WMD infrastructure and maintain a network of terrorist training camps throughout his country foreign policy competence?

This was a gross miscalculation, and is the fundamental reason we are in Iraq today. That decision stands with the failure to liberate North Korea and our flight from Vietnam as one of the major foreign policy blunders of the post WWII era.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

This sort of commentary is exactly why the right scares the hell out of me. I'll take a dumb leftie over a bigoted rightie pretty much any day of the week.

And if you want to know why the Left scares me, just look at Cuba.

In point of fact of course, racial bigotry is no more an inherant aspect of conservatism thatn it is with the Left, and no more an inherant part of one than the other. The idea that it is is a traditional part of the Left's well crafted fantasy realm in which it believes its cultural opponents have their being. Indeed, the modern Left is the movement of institutionalized racial preference, not the Right, which supports colorblindness and equality of opportunity (hint: the Left's traditional position is that of equality of condition, a vastly different concept).
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

asbestosman wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Self interest for any nation in protecting borders, languages and culture is important.

What's so bad about having multiple languages? What's wrong with Belgium? Switzerland?
Belgium is in a mess. A common language is a wonderful unifying factor for a nation.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

richardMdBorn wrote:Belgium is in a mess. A common language is a wonderful unifying factor for a nation.

It can be a great factor. On the other hand, the US has enough problems among its English-speaking population. We are divided on things such as evolution vs Intelligent Design. We are divided on health care. We are divided on abortion and stem-cell research. We are divided on the use of waterboarding.

I acknowledge that many Belgians use language as a divisive factor. Yet many are also fine with the differences. I see no reason why it can't work that way.

One might also argue that being of a single race can be a unifying factor. However, I see no reason that skin color should be a divisive factor. For some of us it is, but for many of us it is not.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

richardMdBorn wrote:
asbestosman wrote:

Belgium is in a mess. A common language is a wonderful unifying factor for a nation.

I walked into a lace shop in Brussels with a friend. She started speaking French to the guy behind the counter, and to my utter horror, I found myself being frog marched out of the shop.

My friend had been a missionary in Belgium for 18months yet didn't know not to speak French to the Flemish speakers.....Are missionaries that coddled?

I learned the lesson quick...just speak English....!!!:)

Mary
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Romney takes Maine with little publicity of victory.

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynamic/ ... CTION=HOME

I wonder why such wins get such little notice?
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith