Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by Vēritās »

jobs.jpg
jobs.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 500 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Just paid $2.59 for gas.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:20 pm
Just paid $2.59 for gas.
Jealous.

Cost $122 for me to fill up yesterday at $5.26/gal.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Consumers are on pace to spend a record $11 billion on Christmas/Cyber Monday.

My question is this.

How is this even possible if Americans are "struggling" so much with inflation? Listening to Right Wing media you'd think people were starving in the streets, forced to buy chicken over Turkey for thanksgiving. Oh the horror!!

Again we seem what reality actually tells us in light of Right Wing delusions. They were wrong about the "suffering" of Americans as demonstrated by the record turnout for Democrats in the midterms. Now they're still trying to convince us that we're on the edge of doom as long as Biden stays in office and Dems control the Senate. That's like their #1 go-to argument in all these Herschel Walker ads.

Meanwhile, I paid $2.39 for gas yesterday, which is a full .50 cents cheaper than it was after Trump's second year in office.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:21 pm
Meanwhile, I paid $2.39 for gas yesterday, which is a full .50 cents cheaper than it was after Trump's second year in office.
Wowza! Are there subsidies currently in place where you live?

That's less than the market price plus fed tax.

ETA: Incidentally, right now, adjusting only for pre-Biden inflation, the market price is below the Trump-era high.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:32 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:21 pm

ETA: Incidentally, right now, adjusting only for pre-Biden inflation, the market price is below the Trump-era high.
Dunno. At Costco it is $2.49 and has been fluctuating between that an $2.59 for the past couple of months now, but at Kroger you can use points towards their gas and after a couple months of spending on groceries I was able to knock off .60 cents per gallon on a tank of gas and ended up paying $2.19.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:03 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Dunno. At Costco it is $2.49 and has been fluctuating between that an $2.59 for the past couple of months now, but at Kroger you can use points towards their gas and after a couple months of spending on groceries I was able to knock off .60 cents per gallon on a tank of gas and ended up paying $2.19.
The regional differences in before-tax gasoline prices are pretty stunning. I'm guessing the difference is transportation costs.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:39 pm
Vēritās wrote:

The regional differences in before-tax gasoline prices are pretty stunning. I'm guessing the difference is transportation costs.
Yes of course, another aspect of Capitalism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Meanwhile, remember that "recession" the Right Wing was harping about a few months ago>?

And how they criticized a "Liberal bias" by the Fed for refusing to declare it so?

And the "Liberal bias" by the media for refusing to take the bait and run with their pseudo-economic claims?

Yeah, well, now it turns out that GDP from July to September wasn't negative at all. In fact it rose 2.9% which is higher than any quarter under Trump.
The U.S. economy grew at a faster rate between July and September than federal officials first estimated, according to federal data released Wednesday.

U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) grew at an annualized rate of 2.9 percent during the third quarter, according to a second estimate released Wednesday by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA). The third quarter growth rate was revised 0.3 percentage points higher than the 2.6 percent annualized increase in GDP the BEA’s “advance” estimate in October.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Vēritās wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Good gravy. That's a heckuva loss leader. The market price (as of this moment) is $2.400. Yesterday it was hovering around 2.332 for the most part.

Before tacking on taxes, or supply-chain costs, they are already selling the gas at a massive loss. At that price, they are essentially paying every single person who gases up at least $2.