Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:46 pm
He's had to empty the strategic oil reserve to get gas prices down.

That’s fiction, but it leads to a question. If Biden controls gas prices (as you allege) and is using high gas prices to pad both the nation’s tax coffers and his personal accounts (as you allege), then what is it that he - or Democrats - gain from releasing strategic oil reserves in an attempt to lower gas prices?
Votes from his welfare collecting base who can't afford $5/gallon nor a Tesla. That's why gas prices will skyrocket after November 2022. Any takers on that bet?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:18 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm

That’s fiction, but it leads to a question. If Biden controls gas prices (as you allege) and is using high gas prices to pad both the nation’s tax coffers and his personal accounts (as you allege), then what is it that he - or Democrats - gain from releasing strategic oil reserves in an attempt to lower gas prices?
Votes from his welfare collecting base who can't afford $5/gallon nor a Tesla. That's why gas prices will skyrocket after November 2022. Any takers on that bet?

1. What’s the breakeven price where folks go from, “The price is too damn high!”, to, “Biden gets my vote! He did that!”?

2. What does ‘skyrocket’ mean to you?

3. How will Biden force the major refiners to arbitrarily raise their price on his command? How does he keep the commodities market from operating normally at the same time?
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:56 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:18 pm

1. What’s the breakeven price where folks go from, “The price is too damn high!”, to, “Biden gets my vote! He did that!”?

2. What does ‘skyrocket’ mean to you?

3. How will Biden force the major refiners to arbitrarily raise their price on his command? How does he keep the commodities market from operating normally at the same time?
If Democrats retain control of the Senate, will gas prices increase by more than a dollar after the November 2022 midterms? I'm betting yes. Do you want to call my bluff?

I kind of think they'll go up even if Republicans win back both the house and senate as well.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:04 am
I kind of think they'll go up even if Republicans win back both the house and senate as well.
Fair enough. Why?

(and, I’m still interested in your answers to the prior three questions, unless $1 is the ‘skyrocket’ that you’re referring to)
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:26 am
Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:04 am
Fair enough. Why?

(and, I’m still interested in your answers to the prior three questions, unless $1 is the ‘skyrocket’ that you’re referring to)
You can't undo the damage done by the EPA by winning a midterm election. Biden is just trying to lessen the pain on his constituents enough to get through another election. Once rhe election is over that incentive will be gone.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:05 am
canpakes wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:26 am

Fair enough. Why?

You can't undo the damage done by the EPA by winning a midterm election. Biden is just trying to lessen the pain on his constituents enough to get through another election. Once rhe election is over that incentive will be gone.

I’m hearing you say that voters will vote for Biden if he puts them through more pain than not. Interesting theory.

You’ve mentioned the EPA again. When you make these types of claims, I ask you to point out what the EPA has done under Biden that is having a deleterious effect on … anything. You never seem up for answering that question. How about today?

Also, still waiting for the explanation on how Biden is setting gas prices, as opposed to the free market activities of brokers, traders, extractors and refiners.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I’m hearing you say that voters will vote for Biden if he puts them through more pain than not. Interesting theory.
Then you have misinterpreted what I'm saying. I'm saying that if Biden gets gas down enough, he'll get more votes.
You’ve mentioned the EPA again. When you make these types of claims, I ask you to point out what the EPA has done under Biden that is having a deleterious effect on … anything. You never seem up for answering that question. How about today?
I've pointed this out many times. Biden's pledge to end fossil fuels has spooked investors. You can't get people to invest money into drilling or fracking oil when you plan to outlaw it in a few years. That means high gas prices for the Democrat masses. There aren't enough liberal economic elites to win an election on $5/gallon gasoline.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:12 pm
Biden's pledge to end fossil fuels has spooked investors. You can't get people to invest money into drilling or fracking oil when you plan to outlaw it in a few years. That means high gas prices for the Democrat masses. There aren't enough liberal economic elites to win an election on $5/gallon gasoline.
So you think that the majority of the US population is not concerned about the increasingly obvious and disquieting effects of global heating for themselves and worse for their kids - unprecedentedly high and rising temperatures, drought, wildfires, flash floods caused by sudden huge rainfalls and so on, which pretty well everybody now knows to be the consequences of burning lots and lots of fossil fuels? They just want cheaper gas now?

You really think your fellow citizens are that dumb?

I don't, and I have evidence from the Pew Research Centre to back me up:

Two-Thirds of Americans Think Government Should Do More on Climate
Bipartisan backing for carbon capture tax credits, extensive tree-planting efforts

A majority of Americans continue to say they see the effects of climate change in their own communities and believe that the federal government falls short in its efforts to reduce the impacts of climate change.

At a time when partisanship colors most views of policy, broad majorities of the public – including more than half of Republicans and overwhelming shares of Democrats – say they would favor a range of initiatives to reduce the impacts of climate change, including large-scale tree planting efforts, tax credits for businesses that capture carbon emissions and tougher fuel efficiency standards for vehicles, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

Public concern over climate change has been growing in recent years, particularly among Democrats, and there are no signs that the COVID-19 pandemic has dampened concern levels. A recent Center analysis finds 60% view climate change as a major threat to the well-being of the United States, as high a share taking this view as in any Pew Research Center survey going back to 2009.

The new national survey by Pew Research Center, conducted April 29 to May 5 among 10,957 U.S. adults using the Center’s online American Trends Panel, finds a majority of U.S. adults want the government to play a larger role in addressing climate change. About two-thirds (65%) of Americans say the federal government is doing too little to reduce the effects of climate change – a view that’s about as widely held today as it was last fall.

And public dissatisfaction with government environmental action is not limited solely to climate: Majorities also continue to say the government is doing too little in other areas, such as protecting air and water quality and wildlife.

Consistent with public concerns over climate and the environment, 79% of Americans say the priority for the country’s energy supply should be developing alternative sources of energy, such as wind and solar; far fewer (20%) give priority to expanding the production of oil, coal and natural gas. To shift consumption patterns toward renewables, a majority of the public (58%) says government regulations will be necessary to encourage businesses and individuals to rely more on renewable energy; fewer (39%) think the private marketplace will ensure this change in habits.

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Chap wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:12 pm
Biden's pledge to end fossil fuels has spooked investors. You can't get people to invest money into drilling or fracking oil when you plan to outlaw it in a few years. That means high gas prices for the Democrat masses. There aren't enough liberal economic elites to win an election on $5/gallon gasoline.
So you think that the majority of the US population is not concerned about the increasingly obvious and disquieting effects of global heating for themselves and worse for their kids - unprecedentedly high and rising temperatures, drought, wildfires, flash floods caused by sudden huge rainfalls and so on, which pretty well everybody now knows to be the consequences of burning lots and lots of fossil fuels? They just want cheaper gas now?

Bipartisan backing for carbon capture tax credits, extensive tree-planting efforts

A majority of Americans continue to say they see the effects of climate change in their own communities and believe that the federal government falls short in its efforts to reduce the impacts of climate change.

At a time when partisanship colors most views of policy, broad majorities of the public – including more than half of Republicans and overwhelming shares of Democrats – say they would favor a range of initiatives to reduce the impacts of climate change, including large-scale tree planting efforts, tax credits for businesses that capture carbon emissions and tougher fuel efficiency standards for vehicles, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

Public concern over climate change has been growing in recent years, particularly among Democrats, and there are no signs that the COVID-19 pandemic has dampened concern levels. A recent Center analysis finds 60% view climate change as a major threat to the well-being of the United States, as high a share taking this view as in any Pew Research Center survey going back to 2009.

The new national survey by Pew Research Center, conducted April 29 to May 5 among 10,957 U.S. adults using the Center’s online American Trends Panel, finds a majority of U.S. adults want the government to play a larger role in addressing climate change. About two-thirds (65%) of Americans say the federal government is doing too little to reduce the effects of climate change – a view that’s about as widely held today as it was last fall.

And public dissatisfaction with government environmental action is not limited solely to climate: Majorities also continue to say the government is doing too little in other areas, such as protecting air and water quality and wildlife.

Consistent with public concerns over climate and the environment, 79% of Americans say the priority for the country’s energy supply should be developing alternative sources of energy, such as wind and solar; far fewer (20%) give priority to expanding the production of oil, coal and natural gas. To shift consumption patterns toward renewables, a majority of the public (58%) says government regulations will be necessary to encourage businesses and individuals to rely more on renewable energy; fewer (39%) think the private marketplace will ensure this change in habits.

Well let's see how the election turns out. Saying the government should do more to stop climate change and actually being willing to pay $5-$7/gallon at the pump are two very different things in the mind of the average Democrat voter. Unless Biden starts giving free gas cards to unemployed Dem voters, I think he's going to have trouble.
Veritas
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:24 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Well let's see how the election turns out. Saying the government should do more to stop climate change and actually being willing to pay $5-$7/gallon at the pump are two very different things in the mind of the average Democrat voter. Unless Biden starts giving free gas cards to unemployed Dem voters, I think he's going to have trouble.
The problem is that you stubbornly cling to the claim that reducing fossil fuel production requires higher gas prices. It doesn’t. There are two sides to the equation: supply and demand. You keep ignoring the demand side of the equation. Subsidizing the changeover to electric cars reduces the demand gas, so the price of gas falls.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.