Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:09 pm
Inflation, anecdotally speaking, appears to be more like around 33% so far this year. It’s too bad Biden won’t press his anti-inflation button so when retailers are increasing prices Hawkeye doesn’t have to pay $3 for a Gatorade. Not that I’d hope anyone on the Right would or could understand this, but when you charge nothing to lenders for mortgage rates so they can sell houses to us for 2% or whatever you’re going to have massive inflation. Everything is predicated on mortgage and rental rates here in ‘merica. I’m glad to see the Fed pump the brakes on the massive devaluation of the dollar we saw under Trump.

- Doc
I understand why we have %8 inflation just fine. It's just that you aren't willing to admit that your "centrist a.k.a. Bernie Sanders" and scamdemic policies caused it. Biden, Sanders, Ocasio Cortez, etc. still don't understand that modern monetary theory, printing and blowing money into the economy results in inflation. In fact they want to print more money in response to inflation. So what happens when you blow out the credit cards and the interest payments come due? They blame Jerome Powell (a RiNO) for raising interest rates. There never should have been a single man with this kind of power over the economy but both Republicans and Democrats have delegated it to the Fed chair. We'd still be masked and locking down businesses if the left had their way. Look at the uproar after Biden admitted that the pandemic was over finally. The people that died, were going to die anyway and now all we have to show for it is a generation of kids that are way behind in their schooling and an economic recession.

This is the Biden administrations economy. Perhaps the COVID response and reality that fossil fuels are more efficient is worth the cost to you Democrat voters. But this economy is the result of the policies you brought with your votes, not Jerome Powell's fault, not Donald Trump, you!
I’ll meet you half way. I’ll admit the “scamdemic” handouts contributed to inflation if you admit Trump’s debt spending and cheap money lending likewise contributed to inflation.

- Oc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm

I’ll meet you half way. I’ll admit the “scamdemic” handouts contributed to inflation if you admit Trump’s debt spending and cheap money lending likewise contributed to inflation.

- Oc
Agree. Agree. Or admit, admit.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

You inadvertently admitted that this is more-so Trump’s fault than Democrats'. Gish gallop all you want; there's no way getting around it.
So the current economic situation is 90% due to Trump's policies in your opinion?
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

- Oc
I'm not really looking for an admission so much as to get a sense of what exactly caused this situation in the mind of a centrist? Trump's debt spending and cheap money weren't good things in my view but I didn't see Democrats or establishment Republicans pushing back against this trying to stop him.

You already know what I think caused the current economic situation. I fought against the pandemic response from the beginnning and was called a murderer for doing so. Pretty much the entire world disagreed with me and pretty much the entire world is in a global recession now because of it.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:02 pm
You inadvertently admitted that this is more-so Trump’s fault than Democrats'. Gish gallop all you want; there's no way getting around it.
So the current economic situation is 90% due to Trump's policies in your opinion?
In my opinion? No.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:09 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:02 pm

In my opinion? No.
What percent of the current economic situation do you view as being Trump's fault?
Veritas
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:40 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:09 pm

In my opinion? No.
What percent of the current economic situation do you view as being Trump's fault?
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. A lot of economists, early on in his administration saw what he was doing, and warned that his irresponsible policies were ballooning the deficit, and debt, and setting the US up for economic problems and inflation. That was before a global pandemic, global commodity madness, goods shortages, etc.

When I look at the question, it's kind of like having someone shooting holes in a boat, while selling off the life-vests. Then along comes a torpedo that splits the boat in half. What percent of the boat sinking is the fault of the person shooting holes in the boat?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:40 pm

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. A lot of economists, early on in his administration saw what he was doing, and warned that his irresponsible policies were ballooning the deficit, and debt, and setting the US up for economic problems and inflation. That was before a global pandemic, global commodity madness, goods shortages, etc.

When I look at the question, it's kind of like having someone shooting holes in a boat, while selling off the life-vests. Then along comes a torpedo that splits the boat in half. What percent of the boat sinking is the fault of the person shooting holes in the boat?
I agree. The causation is so complex that trying to assign percentage blame is, in my opinion, pointless.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:16 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 pm

I agree. The causation is so complex that trying to assign percentage blame is, in my opinion, pointless.
The only thing complex are the mental gymnastics needed by Democrats to shift the blame for this economy from their horrendous policies.
Veritas
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:01 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:16 pm

The only thing complex are the mental gymnastics needed by Democrats to shift the blame for this economy from their horrendous policies.
If you know the information presented in even an introductory macroeconomics class, then you know how silly your claim is. You haven’t presented any sort of coherent economic theory to even try to explain our current economic situation other than “Democrats are evil.” Trying to discuss this topic with you is just an endless game of whack a mole in which you pop up with a new, freshly picked cherry when your last cherry is refuted. Rage and resentment is not a coherent anything.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.