Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Icarus
Bishop

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by Icarus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 pm
Icarus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Why do you ask? Futures aren't really predictions, they're more like bets.
Sigh … why are you like this?

Anyway. Have at the cultist. He’s in dire need of attention.

- Doc
Nah, you can have her.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So with regard to a sudden jam in the supply chain why is it so difficult to find sub crews? Are they back logged back to when the supply chain came to a near grinding halt?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 pm
please-pay-attention-to-me.jpg
please-pay-attention-to-me.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ceeboo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:01 pm
Soooo, now not only an I not sure, I'm also confused. :)
Hi Ceeboo,

I did some very light internet spelunking so I could learn a bit more on this -- as, up until today, I was under the grossly mistaken assumption that we didn't import very much steel.

From the help of the USGS, and the Department of Commerce holding my hand, I am guessing that the first figure that you found (with the US at #1) is for steel imports (and maybe iron tossed on for fun).

The US exports a crap ton** of raw iron ore (over 3 million crap tons in April of this year alone). We rely on other countries to make it fancy for us (Canada and Brazil are the current top two) and give it back as steel. So... we don't import very much iron, but we do import a whole lotta steel.

**Crap Ton (TM) is a certified unit of measurement by the Steussian Ketchup Advisory Board.

ETA: I see you edited your post, but I'm going to leave this one up as it is proof that I did something other than navel-gaze today.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:01 pm
Soooo, now not only an I not sure, I'm also confused. :)
Hi Ceeboo,

I did some very light internet spelunking so I could learn a bit more on this -- as, up until today, I was under the grossly mistaken assumption that we didn't import very much steel.

From the help of the USGS, and the Department of Commerce holding my hand, I am guessing that the first figure that you found (with the US at #1) is for steel imports (and maybe iron tossed on for fun).

The US exports a crap ton** of raw iron ore (over 3 million crap tons in April of this year alone). We rely on other countries to make it fancy for us (Canada and Brazil are the current top two) and give it back as steel. So... we don't import very much iron, but we do import a whole lotta steel.

**Crap Ton (TM) is a certified unit of measurement by the Steussian Ketchup Advisory Board.
You beat me to it, thanks.

Even more steel is going to be imported if the infrastructure deal ever passes.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 pm
So with regard to a sudden jam in the supply chain why is it so difficult to find sub crews? Are they back logged back to when the supply chain came to a near grinding halt?
My theory is people wanting stuff done got backlogged, and there’s such a huge demand for ‘getting stuff done I wanted done last year plus stuff I want done now’ that crews are busy. For example, my GC is literally building a subdivision in our town plus our reno. Six weeks on and he’s having a hard time getting a plumber to show up. So I’m in a hotel. Just a guess, though.

As an aside fitness resorts are packed:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/weig ... index.html

As are restaurants, national parks, etc. My guess is people are going bananas and there aren’t enough people to facilitate it, so here we are.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi Ceeboo,

ETA: I see you edited your post, but I'm going to leave this one up as it is proof that I did something other than navel-gaze today.
We import iron and steel. Cast iron is still used in the trades.
idiot doesn't understand the difference between iron and steel. The figures CeeBoo provided included both, most of which is steel.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:26 pm

My theory is people wanting stuff done got backlogged, and there’s such a huge demand for ‘getting stuff done I wanted done last year plus stuff I want done now’ that crews are busy. For example, my GC is literally building a subdivision in our town plus our reno. Six weeks on and he’s having a hard time getting a plumber to show up. So I’m in a hotel. Just a guess, though.

As are restaurants, national parks, etc. My guess is people are going bananas and there aren’t enough people to facilitate it, so here we are.

- Doc
Short version. There is a huge difference between labor and skilled labor. Labor is not the issue. Skilled labor is difficult to have and hold.
There has been a labor shortage in construction for many years now.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:26 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 pm

- Doc
What you say makes sense. I noticed that during the lock downs, a lot of folks were doing renos because they were home. Then needed materials and appliances for kitchen renos were getting backlogged for months. That's how we ended up with this not-so-ideal refrigerator in October--it's all they had in stock when ours was starting to go belly up. We don't mind settling when needed.

with regard to the fitness resorts. I'd love to visit such lovely environments but I don't need it. I get that folks who are accustomed to running all over hell's half acre went nuts. Good that folks are getting 'out there' though. I live 'out there' so I totally get it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Icarus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 pm
Careful now. You may burst your fallopian tube.
The spelling is what you decided needed to be fixed about this post?