Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by Gadianton »

Construction worker shortage

Ajax, one of the things Breitbart and Fox likely aren't telling you is that like a lot of countries, the USA has a problem with an aging workforce. Not enough young people to take the baton. You're not going to build houses with 70-year-old workers. So you know what that means, right? Immigration.
Since the end of the Great Recession, the share of construction workers aged 25-54 has dropped 8%, while the share of those 55 and over has risen, according to the Associated Builders and Contractors. Twenty percent of workers are 55 and older, and 61 is the average retirement age — meaning a fifth of the industry is at risk of leaving within the next six years.
Over the next half a year, Grandy said he thinks labor issues will become the driving force for cost increases. With a sector unemployment rate at 3.8%, he said, there is simply nowhere to go to meet rising demand. The current immigration shortage also significantly reduces the amount of talent that can readily fill empty jobs.
Grandy said the best, more immediate way to fill the gap is to promote more immigration — there are a lot of workers in other countries who would gladly come to the U.S. for a shot at greater, and rising, hourly wages. But the stalled nature of immigration reform, amid a series of current political crises, makes significant change unlikely.

So this is what you wanted, right? Not enough workers means wages are increasing in the construction industry for white American workers. But the tradeoff will always be higher prices.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:33 am

Ajax, one of the things Breitbart and Fox likely aren't telling you is that like a lot of countries, the USA has a problem with an aging workforce. Not enough young people to take the baton. You're not going to build houses with 70-year-old workers. So you know what that means, right? Immigration.
Since the end of the Great Recession, the share of construction workers aged 25-54 has dropped 8%, while the share of those 55 and over has risen, according to the Associated Builders and Contractors. Twenty percent of workers are 55 and older, and 61 is the average retirement age — meaning a fifth of the industry is at risk of leaving within the next six years.
Over the next half a year, Grandy said he thinks labor issues will become the driving force for cost increases. With a sector unemployment rate at 3.8%, he said, there is simply nowhere to go to meet rising demand. The current immigration shortage also significantly reduces the amount of talent that can readily fill empty jobs.
Grandy said the best, more immediate way to fill the gap is to promote more immigration — there are a lot of workers in other countries who would gladly come to the U.S. for a shot at greater, and rising, hourly wages. But the stalled nature of immigration reform, amid a series of current political crises, makes significant change unlikely.

So this is what you wanted, right? Not enough workers means wages are increasing in the construction industry for white American workers. But the tradeoff will always be higher prices.
Excellent points.

Remember when Trump, the white nationalist, wanted to understand why immigrants were only coming from "crap hole countries"?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Here are the 10 countries with the most immigrants to the United States:

Mexico
China
India
Philippines
Dominican Republic
Cuba
Vietnam
El Salvador
South Korea
Jamaica

It is enough to drive racists absolutely insane! No one Republicans are against immigration.

Behind closed doors Trump's been complaining like ajax. Mumbling to confidants, "why do we only get these beaners, Chee-chees, slopes, Island monkeys" to come here but no one from Norway, Finland Germany, Denmark, etc?

'Thanks, but no thanks' - Norwegians reject Trump's immigration offer

They don't come here because they're happy where they're at. Because the USA is far, far from being the greatest country in the world. Now they all are taking notice of our move towards authoritarianism. Why come to the USA now if you get pregnant or impregnate someone and are then forced to being a parent?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:25 pm
Behind closed doors Trump's been complaining like ajax. Mumbling to confidants, "why do we only get these beaners, Chee-chees, slopes, Island monkeys" to come here but no one from Norway, Finland Germany, Denmark, etc?

'Thanks, but no thanks' - Norwegians reject Trump's immigration offer

They don't come here because they're happy where they're at. Because the USA is far, far from being the greatest country in the world. Now they all are taking notice of our move towards authoritarianism. Why come to the USA now if you get pregnant or impregnate someone and are then forced to being a parent?
Like many Europeans I generally like the Americans I meet, both in and out of America, and my default settings towards the US are basically favorable. However, I increasingly realise that my image of the US is outdated by quite a few decades. If I realistically ask myself whether I would on the whole feel happy if I was now told I had to live and work and bring up kids there, I am sad to say that the answer comes back firmly negative.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Behind closed doors Trump's been complaining like ajax. Mumbling to confidants, "why do we only get these beaners, Chee-chees, slopes, Island monkeys"
Wow. Do you have a source for that quote. That’s some ugly language - of which three slurs I’ve never heard before. Slopes? Chee chees? I don’t even know what that is.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Why come to the USA now if you get pregnant or impregnate someone and are then forced to being a parent?
This is brilliant. I think you're right.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:33 am

I think Veritas is mischaracterizing Trump's immigration policies. Myself and 99.99% of the Republican party has no problem with bringing in people who can work and contribute. But that's not what is happening when people enter the country illegally. We don't get to choose at all who comes in illegally. Perhaps increasing legal immigration would be helpful. But the Democrats have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to enforce the border. To do so would be immoral in their view. So more legal immigration would have little to no effect upon the number of indigent and unskilled illegal immigrants entering the country.
You're not going to build houses with 70-year-old workers.
If we're living longer, we have to work longer. Maybe the 70 year old needs to contribute using his experience and mental abilities if his back can no longer handle the kind of work he once did. You can't have immigrants financing unsustainably long retirements without passing on severe debts to future generations. Much of this points back to how unjust and corrupted a program social security has always been. Future generations will forfeit even more of their freedom due to this program than even we have.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Hawkeye wrote: Myself and 99.99% of the Republican party has no problem with bringing in people who can work and contribute. But that's not what is happening when people enter the country illegally.
Wait, when people enter the country illegally, they aren't "working" and "contributing"?

That's just not true, illegals are more employed than Americans in general.

And 99.99% of republicans have no problem with immigration? really?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/White House ... migration/
The fact, though, that so much attention is paid to illegal immigration misses how the debate on immigration policy is changing in the U.S. — namely, Republican politicians are increasingly blurring the lines between illegal and legal immigration and targeting not just illegal immigration, but legal immigration too.
Almost half of Republicans (47 percent) said legal immigration should be decreased, compared with just 16 percent of Democrats.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

That's just not true, illegals are more employed than Americans in general.
How do people know that for sure? Maybe your're right. But for me and for Donald Trump. I have no problem with bringing in people who can contribute. And by contribute I mean paying for your kids, your healthcare, etc. Working on Kevin Graham's home flipping crew while you stiff your wife for child support, have your kids on medicaid, medicare, social security, food stamps, section 8 housing, ad infinitum so that Kevin can pay you lower wages than an American worker isn't my view of what it means to be a contributor.

Think of how many FICA tax dollars are spent just to help hispanic children become proficient in English and read at their grade level. That's right, social security tax dollars. What the hell does a supposedly forced retirement savings have to do with the cost of educating everyone? And we wonder why social security retirement benefits are so low they're unlivable. No wonder saving your own money is out of the question. After all, it's not for your retirement after all.
And 99.99% of republicans have no problem with immigration? really?
It doesn't make any sense to talk about immigration law until the border is enforced.
Veritas
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Behind closed doors Trump's been complaining like ajax. Mumbling to confidants, "why do we only get these beaners, Chee-chees, slopes, Island monkeys"
Wow. Do you have a source for that quote. That’s some ugly language - of which three slurs I’ve never heard before. Slopes? Chee chees? I don’t even know what that is.

- Doc
Why is anyone even talking like that? It sounds offensive.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:23 pm
Why is anyone even talking like that? It sounds offensive.
It's just Trump ... Trumpeting. It's what he does.

Creating a shared transgressive space with his base is one of the ways he keeps them close.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.