Biden's Economy?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Biden's Economy?

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:46 pm
I doubt he's nearly as stressed about how far he can raise rates under a Democrat without throwing us into a recession.
That's a pretty safe statement given we've already been in a recession for over a month now. One can never underestimate how quickly bad economic policy can bring down an economy.

Well, it’s a good thing that the current recession keeps seeing strong job and favorable unemployment numbers so far. Let’s hope that holds up.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
Attachments
D6684A41-49CD-46B8-A296-34D3BA1B66E2.jpeg
D6684A41-49CD-46B8-A296-34D3BA1B66E2.jpeg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
I doubt he's nearly as stressed about how far he can raise rates under a Democrat without throwing us into a recession.
That's a pretty safe statement given we've already been in a recession for over a month now. One can never underestimate how quickly bad economic policy can bring down an economy.
Uh, no, we're not in a recession. The National Bureau of Economic Research defines a recession as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales."

Recessions don't happen when nearly 400,000 jobs are being added monthly and the general population is spending money like drunken sailors. The reason for inflation has to do with consumer demand skyrocketing. People keep buying crap because they can afford it.

Personal savings rate is already back down to pre-pandemic levels.
savings.jpg
savings.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 336 times
We know ajax/Hawkeye is rooting against America at this time but that's to be expected from a cult that sacrificed thousands of their own voters over vaccine falsehoods, just so they could get some sense of sticking it to the libs.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

When the stats come out for the next quarter, it will confirm that we've been in a recession for over a month now.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:00 pm
When the stats come out for the next quarter, it will confirm that we've been in a recession for over a month now.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
CFR on the claim that we've been in a recession for over a month. Humpty Dumpty claims don't count.

Both the war in Ukraine and the COVID pandemic are going to continue to destabilize the global economy for some time to come. Instability leads to a mismatch of goods demanded and goods supplied. The bullwhip effect is a good example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwhip_effect U.S. retailers are sitting on inventories of items that no one wants to buy, while items in demand are short on supply. And supply chain interruptions make the mismatch between supply and demand even worse. Meanwhile, COVID is still causing a sufficient amount of sickness to introduce instability into the labor market. Because places of business are no longer taking precautions against infection, every place of employment becomes a potential site for a super spreading event. The small business where my son is employed literally ran out of healthy employees at one point because so many were too ill with COVID to come to work.

After the 2008 crash, the Fed kept the economy growing by holding interest rates down at an extreme low rate for an extended period of time. With the current labor shortage plus the embargo on Russian petroleum pushing up prices, the fed left itself lots of room to do what it does to avoid inflation -- raise interest rates. Will that cause a recession -- maybe. If you look at the process we use to determine when a recession has occurred, it generally takes a year or so after the trough to decide whether there has been a recession. That's because the entity that makes the determination looks at lots of factors, including duration, severity, and impacts on several different economic measures.

Given the length of the current expansion, a recession of some kind would not be a surprise. But proclaiming that we've been in a recession for a month displays only ignorance of how the economy actually works and the words we use to describe economic events. If you extrapolated the pre-pandemic GDP in a straight line based on the pre-pandemic trends, we're right at where we would expect to be if the pandemic had never happened. That's a pretty quick recovery from a world shattering event that isn't over yet.

Let's try less hysteria and more common sense.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:00 pm
No it won't. If we are in a recession, it will be confirmed after it ends. That's how it's done.
he/him

Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:14 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

CFR on the claim that we've been in a recession for over a month. Humpty Dumpty claims don't count.

Both the war in Ukraine and the COVID pandemic are going to continue to destabilize the global economy for some time to come. Instability leads to a mismatch of goods demanded and goods supplied. The bullwhip effect is a good example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwhip_effect U.S. retailers are sitting on inventories of items that no one wants to buy, while items in demand are short on supply. And supply chain interruptions make the mismatch between supply and demand even worse. Meanwhile, COVID is still causing a sufficient amount of sickness to introduce instability into the labor market. Because places of business are no longer taking precautions against infection, every place of employment becomes a potential site for a super spreading event. The small business where my son is employed literally ran out of healthy employees at one point because so many were too ill with COVID to come to work.

After the 2008 crash, the Fed kept the economy growing by holding interest rates down at an extreme low rate for an extended period of time. With the current labor shortage plus the embargo on Russian petroleum pushing up prices, the fed left itself lots of room to do what it does to avoid inflation -- raise interest rates. Will that cause a recession -- maybe. If you look at the process we use to determine when a recession has occurred, it generally takes a year or so after the trough to decide whether there has been a recession. That's because the entity that makes the determination looks at lots of factors, including duration, severity, and impacts on several different economic measures.

Given the length of the current expansion, a recession of some kind would not be a surprise. But proclaiming that we've been in a recession for a month displays only ignorance of how the economy actually works and the words we use to describe economic events. If you extrapolated the pre-pandemic GDP in a straight line based on the pre-pandemic trends, we're right at where we would expect to be if the pandemic had never happened. That's a pretty quick recovery from a world shattering event that isn't over yet.

Now do lockdowns and sanctions.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Now do lockdowns and sanctions.
You do them.
he/him

Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

If we are in a recession, it will be confirmed after it ends. That's how it's done.
When the quarter ends and it's confirmed that we were and are in a recession (2 consecutive quarters of economic contraction) Kamala Harris will say that the new data doesn't account for the 20 cents that gasoline dropped, so maybe we're already out of the recession and don't know it yet.

Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never ever jam today.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye/ajax wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:39 pm
Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never ever jam today.
I remember when paper straws were your biggest life frustration.

Now it’s jam.