The Kidney Stone Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

The Kidney Stone Thread

Post by _silentkid »

asbestosman wrote:I don't remember him saying anything about seer stones. I do remember him talking about kidney stones though.
Awesome!!

Thanks to asbestosman for reminding me about an off-topic thread that I wanted to start. I passed a kidney stone in October 2001. I was in my second year of grad school and it pretty much set me back an entire semester. I was teaching a discussion group at BYU when the pain hit. It doubled me over. Luckily, I had a friend nearby who went and got his car and drove me to the emergency room. By the time I arrived, I was nearly ready to pass out. I think I was actually yelling. The doctors got an IV in quick, shot in some phenergan and slammed home the morphine. Ahh, morphine. I had numerous tests done, including a CAT scan with contrast to find the little bugger. Supposedly, it was passing through the ureter. Super. It was the most painful experience I've ever had. I lived with a roommate a year earlier who passed numerous stones, one of which was classified by his doctor as the biggest stone he'd ever seen. I think there was something in the Utah water. Has anyone else here had the amazing kidney stone experience?
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Never had kidney stones, but i had appendicitis. man, that was a bitch. I'd like to hear from someone who's had both - to see which one's worse.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Who Knows wrote:Never had kidney stones, but I had appendicitis. man, that was a bitch. I'd like to hear from someone who's had both - to see which one's worse.

I had acute appendicitis and an appendectomy (by laparoscopic surgery) last April. The appendicitis was pretty damn painful, but for me, the kidney stone pain was worse. I've heard of others who routinely pass stones with little pain. I wasn't one of them.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Now you know what having a baby is like.

'nuff said.

;)
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

liz3564 wrote:Now you know what having a baby is like.

'nuff said.

;)

I'm thinking the baby thing is probably more painful. The peak of my kidney stone pain may be somewhat comparable in intensity, but the duration was only about an hour. Then I got morphine. Labor lasts much longer and morphine isn't an option.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

My only comment here is that morphine is the drug of the gods!
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

silentkid wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Never had kidney stones, but I had appendicitis. man, that was a bitch. I'd like to hear from someone who's had both - to see which one's worse.

I had acute appendicitis and an appendectomy (by laparoscopic surgery) last April. The appendicitis was pretty damn painful, but for me, the kidney stone pain was worse. I've heard of others who routinely pass stones with little pain. I wasn't one of them.

I had acute appendicitis in 1999 while on my mission. I was lucky that I didn't die. I can't see there being something MORE painful than that. If kidney stones are more painful then I better start drinking pure water.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jersey Girl wrote:My only comment here is that morphine is the drug of the gods!

I second that.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

>snip<
Last edited by Ahoody on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mercury wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:My only comment here is that morphine is the drug of the gods!

I second that.

I third and fourth it! Morphine has got to be the best drug ever invented! (unless you're allergic to it). Such a nice warm fuzzy sense of well being! Whoa!

In all things, morphine is your friend!
;-)